What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your RV-4 !!!

Red RV-4

Beautiful pictures of your 4 Dayton. I never get tired of seeing the RV-4; I just love the lines of it. I'm always slapping myself that I get to own and fly one.

Here's the latest for me
2ztemv6.jpg
[/IMG]

Now that is one sweet looking plane, Dayton.

Last edited:
RV-4 Rebirth

After only flying it 12 hours from July 2013 to July 2014 I have finished all the major modifications!

New Stuff just this year...
Rebuilt engine with Ly-Con ported cylinders and 9:1 pistons - Broke a piston skirt in the old engine
New Catto prop
New tail kit .020 skins - Cracks on rudder and elevators plus smoked rivets on the HS
New Dayton bling tailwheel

I love my 4" checkers on the tail and my first flight showed 165 KTS TAS at 2700 RPM at 4500. DA was much higher because of August.

So freakin' happy to be done!

10397828_10202641169571250_2688053327047155931_n.jpg

Mine is almost finished

2ajq146.jpg

This is a pic of mine, just finished painting, (never do that again :p) Catto prop, Stroker 340. I painted similar to my fathers "B" model Mustang in WW2. Green on top, gray bottom. I haven't completely finished it because I can't find the original photo of dad's ship.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. This is an older airplane, 1984 has 1800+ hours on the airframe, 8 hours on the 340 and it flies straight as an arrow. No special process just a lot of prep work, the painting part was pretty easy just time consuming. I didn't like the overall finish on the flat paint so I mixed one part gloss to two parts flat with the hardener which gave it a semi-gloss finish. I still have to put the additional lettering on it if I can find the photo. If not, I will make them up. The areographics folks are great to work with, all the markings are theirs and they lay down so well it looks like paint. I wish my father was still alive to see it, he would get a kick out of it, he was quite a character.

Last edited:
Steve,

When you get those .50s mounted then the fun really begins.

Keep us up to date on the performance with the stroker. I almost went that way a few yours ago but didn't.

But I know it will be a real "hot rod" and I also like the traditional look.

stay in touch,
Glenn

50 caL?

50 Cal would be OK. When I was flying A-37B's we had a M134, 7.62x51 mm NATO, six-barreled machine gun with a high rate of fire (2,000 to 6,000 rounds per minute) installed in the nose which was fun to play with. Might be a little hard to get your hands on one or two and then I would have to put pylons on it and then of course make provisions for AIM 9 and then Mark 82's, the list just keeps on going. And after I did all that, I would probably got to jail....:cool:

When I was flying A-37B's we had a M134, 7.62x51 mm NATO, six-barreled machine gun with a high rate of fire (2,000 to 6,000 rounds per minute) installed in the nose which was fun to play with.

They took them out when I flew them and substituted WP's. We could not be trusted with something so deadly. But I did use the call sign "Nail" when I flew my -4. Great looking Four you have. Makes me want to buy mine back.

Thanks for the replies. This is an older airplane, 1984 has 1800+ hours on the airframe, 8 hours on the 340 and it flies straight as an arrow. No special process just a lot of prep work, the painting part was pretty easy just time consuming. I didn't like the overall finish on the flat paint so I mixed one part gloss to two parts flat with the hardener which gave it a semi-gloss finish. I still have to put the additional lettering on it if I can find the photo. If not, I will make them up. The areographics folks are great to work with, all the markings are theirs and they lay down so well it looks like paint. I wish my father was still alive to see it, he would get a kick out of it, he was quite a character.

Did you mix the color yourself or was it on the shelf? IF the former, can you give us the mixture ratios? That is a very good color.

The Riot act...

50 Cal would be OK. When I was flying A-37B's we had a M134, 7.62x51 mm NATO, six-barreled machine gun with a high rate of fire (2,000 to 6,000 rounds per minute) installed in the nose which was fun to play with. Might be a little hard to get your hands on one or two and then I would have to put pylons on it and then of course make provisions for AIM 9 and then Mark 82's, the list just keeps on going. And after I did all that, I would probably got to jail....:cool:

Both nice 4"s guys. Amen on buying your old one back, me 2!

V/R
Smokey

PS: re: Jail? Now they read you your rights before you step out the door...even laser guiding GBU12s or dropping JDAMS collateral damage is always in the back of your mind..fast CAS in the modern world. Of course 20mm is still relevant, and effective...:)

Last edited:
My RV-4 has been flying since March of 2007. It currently has about 550 hours and it still makes me smile every time it I hop in.

imagejpg2_zpseb6f4e2d.jpg

On the way home from Oshkosh, some where near Talladega, Alabama at 9500 feet.

imagejpg1_zpseca2d0e7.jpg

Early Christmas

That's me on the left (with the RV grin), taking over ownership from the builder, Dave P. KFLP airport, Arkansas.

imagejpg3.jpg

An hour or so later, on the way home

imagejpg1.jpg

A few hours later, at its new home KSGS airport, Minnesota.

imagejpg2.jpg

This thread of pictures has inspired me for a long time, so I owed it to the thread to add a pic of mine.

410888927.jpg

New to this so not sure if it'll work or not. Only photo I have so far-first day in its new home.

Nice looking 4!

Chris,

That is a nice looking 4. Congratulations! Now post some more pictures o the interior and panel. I'm sure you will love it.

Regards,

Fernando

New to this so not sure if it'll work or not. Only photo I have so far-first day in its new home.

Sterba Power!

That red / white / black paint job is SHARP! I like it!!!

Ah, memories...
A Sterba wood propulsion device graced the nose of my RV4 originally...(way back when it weighed a mere 917lbs!)

Nice photo!
V/R
Smokey

My "Bandit" in the Idaho backcountry circa 1997

Last edited:
Thanks Smokey. A recent W&B still brings it in under 1000 lbs. and I think once I can afford one of those Catto 3-blades she'll still be under 1000!

New pics of my RV fleet.

Bump to show new paint on RV-4

Completed in 2002, but I cannot take credit for the build. I'm in the process of a significant modification including the repainting of fiberglass. UPDATE: Pic of RV-4 after repaint red. Side by side with my new RV-8

36652fd8-bb23-4134-a6f8-b4d85f1b7108_zpsa4682476.jpg

Workng on windshield fairing

Trying to make my fairing out of aluminum. I'm close but it won't lie down without pressure. It needs a tweak or two.
image.jpg2_zps6xmn48dm.jpg.html

Back