What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

glare issues?

Daida

Well Known Member
Hi folks...
I?m about to put paint on my -8.
The windshield is installed (sikaflex) and i?ve painted the dashboard underneath it in black (matt).
The aircraft will be painted white with a thin blue stripe, starting at mid-canopy, going aft. Clearcoat will go on top.
I?m wondering if a white cowling and upper fwd fuse-skin will produce glare in the windshield or not.
Some of you have painted that portion, fwd of the windshield, black to prevent glare. Some of you didn?t. Some of you have dark colour paint scheme anyway, whilst some of you don?t.
Is the angle/inclination of the windshield steep enough not to worry about it at all, or is it a huge problem?

I?m interested in the experience from you guys already flying out there on this topic.

I did put this thread in here and not in the ?paint? category on purpose, because an -8 is an -8 and not a -3, -4, -6, -7, -9, -10, -12 or a -14.
Fwd of the windshield all RV?s are pretty much all the same, but not.

Thanks for your input!

The short answer; no glare issue from the top of the fusleage or cowl.

If you mount a white GPS antenna on top of the glare shield however, it needs to be covered with a piece of dark cloth or the reflection will drive you crazy.

Carl

Glare

We owned a bright yellow 8. Area In front of windscreen was yellow. Absolutely no glare issues.

No glare of my shiny white cowling. For glare off the cowling to be a problem, the sun would have to be at a pretty low angle and would be blasting directly into your eyes. Not THAT can be a problem when flying Eastbound just after sunrise.

The short answer; no glare issue from the top of the fusleage or cowl.

If you mount a white GPS antenna on top of the glare shield however, it needs to be covered with a piece of dark cloth or the reflection will drive you crazy.

Carl

I agree with Carl 100%. I too have a white plane and covered the white antennas on the top of my glareshield with black cloth.

I also painted my instrument panel with a flat grey textured paint and have had no glare issues.

Back