What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter Grounding

mulde35d

Well Known Member
Friend
Two questions.

First, Is the starter grounded through the engine? (following the engine grounding path). I don't see a ground strap from the starter back to the engine mount / battery terminal.

Second, in the Firewall Forward instructions page 43-4 and 43-11 it appears that wire WH-K910 is grounded from the I terminal of the start contactor to a bolt (likely a grounding bolt) on the starter itself. What is the reasoning for this? Why not just ground the I terminal of the start contactor directly back to the firewall as opposed to running it all the way up to the starter? The only reason I could think is to verify the starter is grounded prior to activating the contactor, but that seems a bit unnecessary at first glance. I am hoping someone can shed some light on this. Thanks

Yes, the started is grounded through the engine block.

I don't know about the -14 plans but the other RV's require a grounding strap from the back of the engine to someplace on the firewall, typically a forest of tabs grounding block that also picks up the ground (-) for the battery.

You can see my ground straps in this picture:

(click to enlarge)

Ground

The engine will crank so much better with a dedicated ground from the starter to direct to the battery. My 10-1 0 320 would barely turn over without the ground strap.

Second, in the Firewall Forward instructions page 43-4 and 43-11 it appears that wire WH-K910 is grounded from the I terminal of the start contactor to a bolt (likely a grounding bolt) on the starter itself.

Could this be a diode?

Or, a signal line to the starter solenoid?

No plans to look at, just shooting in the dark from your description of the wire in question.

Last edited:
Picture

Diagram Photo for clarity. This is both pages referenced above
Start.png

I decided to add an extra ground - not from the starter though. I just ran a heavy cable from the location on the engine mount where the engine ground strap attaches back to the same location on the firewall where the battery ground attaches. This gives the engine/starter another path to ground in addition to the engine mount.

Back