What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL30 and SL40 Installation Manual

DwightFrye

Can anyone point me to a PDF of the Garmin SL-40 install manual? There was a link to one in another thread, but the link is dead (Rosie fixed the link now). Other attempts to find it on the net have been unsuccessful so far. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a PDF file I can email you...

Send me a pm with an email address and I'll send a copy to you...
Also, if you google Apollo SL40 install manual you'll have better luck than using Garmin SL40

Last edited:
I had a hard time tracking down an install manual at one point too. I finally got a hold of one but this thread just rekindles my curiosity - does Garmin object to their installation manuals being freely distributed? They certainly dont provide it on their website that I could find, which seems bizarre to me. Anyone know what is the scoop with this?

The aeroelecrtic connection web site has a pdf of the SL30. The com portion of the SL30 is the same as the SL40, same d-sub connector and pins.

I had a hard time tracking down an install manual at one point too. I finally got a hold of one but this thread just rekindles my curiosity - does Garmin object to their installation manuals being freely distributed? They certainly dont provide it on their website that I could find, which seems bizarre to me. Anyone know what is the scoop with this?

Garmin wants them in the hands of authorized installers only. That's why RMAs have to go back through dealers as well. Fortunately the vendors that serve the experimental market are a little more liberal in their practices.

bob

Thanks everyone! I now have more install manuals than I know what to do with! :) I knew the VAF community would come through!

I was looking for an installation manual and found this thread...thanks for posting the links.

But it raised another question. Looking at the manuals I see their copyright is 10-15 years old (1999, 1997), which means the SL-40 design is that old. OK, comm radio technology doesn't change rapidly but still...we're paying thousands for unchanged designs?

I have a specific question about the SL-40. Can it receive audio signals from another device? I have a Vertical Power 200 that can generate audio signals but don't see a way for the SL-40 to accept them...which means I'd have to get a separate audio panel I think. Or is there another radio to consider?

Last edited:
I was looking for an installation manual and found this thread...thanks for posting the links.

But it raised another question. Looking at the manuals I see their copyright is 10-15 years old (1999, 1997), which means the SL-40 design is that old. OK, comm radio technology doesn't change rapidly but still...we're paying thousands for unchanged designs?

I have a specific question about the SL-40. Can it receive audio signals from another device? I have a Vertical Power 200 that can generate audio signals but don't see a way for the SL-40 to accept them...which means I'd have to get a separate audio panel I think. Or is there another radio to consider?

You'll need an audio panel. Since you have a vp-200, I suspect you also have an EFIS which will have audio out too.

Bob, thanks. I plan on using a Dynon Skyview and that presumably has audio output also (haven't studied its manual yet).

I like the SL-40 because it allows listening on the Standby frequency, can retrieve frequencies from a GPS, and functions as a two-person intercom (sufficient for a two-person airplane). Seems a shame to add an audio panel just for audio inputs.

Is there another comm radio that has all the features of the SL-40, PLUS accepting audio inputs?

Bob, thanks. I plan on using a Dynon Skyview and that presumably has audio output also (haven't studied its manual yet).

I like the SL-40 because it allows listening on the Standby frequency, can retrieve frequencies from a GPS, and functions as a two-person intercom (sufficient for a two-person airplane). Seems a shame to add an audio panel just for audio inputs.

Is there another comm radio that has all the features of the SL-40, PLUS accepting audio inputs?

I believe that the sl-30 can handle a couple inputs and function as a simple intercom, but i would have to check the manual to confirm.

I would defer to somebody at SteinAir or Aerotronics for alternatives.

Are you trying to conserve panel space or cash? Is this your only comm?

Not necessarily trying to save cash or space. My current ride, an Aircoupe, has a single comm and it's perfectly fine for my use.

The SL-40 has enough features (aside from lack of audio input) to make a 2nd comm pretty much unneeded by me. Its ability to listen on standby and conveniently tune upcoming frequencies provided by a GPS would add those features I miss with a single standard comm. To add just audio would mean an audio panel, but those are small and not expensive, so that could be a good compromise. I'll also look again at the SL-30. I know it's much more expensive but does provide VOR capability.

As for a backup comm--always a good thing to have--I have a handheld radio and plan on having a separate comm antenna, or at least a BNC connector to disconnect the antenna from the panel comm and connect to the handheld.

I believe that the sl-30 can handle a couple inputs and function as a simple intercom, but i would have to check the manual to confirm.

I would defer to somebody at SteinAir or Aerotronics for alternatives.

Are you trying to conserve panel space or cash? Is this your only comm?

Reading the manual, it does have an optional built-in voice activated intercom, but does not seem to have any extra AUX audio inputs.

I think you will need some sort of simple external intercom/audio panel unit.

This is one of the reasons why Garmin handles manuals they way they do. If you were to contact a dealer, you can be fairly assured you'll be getting the latest (and most appropriate) manual for a given device and we're usually fairly willing to help folks out. For example, there are often variations in product depending on what/when and where you are installing it. There are sometimes differing details for different countries, etc..

Avionics manuals are updated quite frequently, and many folks posting ones for download somewhere have manuals that are woefully out of date and sometimes very inaccurate. Regarding the SL-40, the latest revision was published in May 2010, the service manual in 2010. That's an ELEVEN year difference between install manual posted in this thread and the current version from Garmin. Not saying that everything is different, but there are things that have changed and it would be good to try to get something that is at least within the last decade when working on avionics.

Regarding the questions on usability, do yourself a favor upfront and purchase at least a good intercom that has some inputs into it. There are tons of threads in the archives discussing the "internal intercom" in the SL...just trust me when I say it'd be money well spent to just go get an intercom or audio panel now and be done with it.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Regarding the questions on usability, do yourself a favor upfront and purchase at least a good intercom that has some inputs into it. There are tons of threads in the archives discussing the "internal intercom" in the SL...just trust me when I say it'd be money well spent to just go get an intercom or audio panel now and be done with it.

As usual, Stein is right on the money here. The RV-6 I just bought last month has only the built-in, half-baked internal intercom of the single SL-40 com radio, and I can assure you the intercom function works barely marginal at best. First thing I did was buy a PM-3000 stereo intercom and start ripping wires loose under my panel. I've owned the plane for only 1 month and have flown it only 4 times and just couldn't stand it any more. Once you've enjoyed a PM-3000 with Zulu headsets, it's hard to accept a lesser sound system.

Regarding the questions on usability, do yourself a favor upfront and purchase at least a good intercom that has some inputs into it.

As usual, Stein is right on the money here. The RV-6 I just bought last month has only the built-in, half-baked internal intercom of the single SL-40 com radio, and I can assure you the intercom function works barely marginal at best.

Excellent gentlemen. I was just about to start a new thread with questions Re: comms, but right here you've answered half of it: are any of the intercoms in radios acceptable.

Well, I will start a new thread with more questions, I feel a bit bad about hijacking this one.

Excellent gentlemen. I was just about to start a new thread with questions Re: comms, but right here you've answered half of it: are any of the intercoms in radios acceptable.

I don't really think so. I haven't used one yet that works as well as a real intercom.

IMHO, PS Engineering makes the best intercoms of them all. Sigtronics comes in 2nd place. I don't like any other intercom brands that are any cheaper than those two, and if you want to listen to stereo music while traveling X-C, spend the extra money for a PS Engineering product.

Back