What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh newbie needs help.

tkatc

Well Known Member
First time Oshkosh attendee. I need info and tips from the pros. I would have loved to fly my own RV to Oshkosh but that doesn't sound like it is going to happen for I haven't found it yet. Commercial flight is probably what is going to work best. My wife has a triathlon to run the Sunday before so I doubt my rental Cherokee would be a good choice.

So I need to know what city would be best to fly into, what sort of lodging is still available, and should I rent a car or not. Should I do the entire week? or just partial?

I do have some requirements for these decisions. I personally would be comfortable camping....but the wife is higher maintenance and requires lodging with wi-fi, preferably a nice hotel or B & B. Proximity would be good especially if alcohol is involved because I would enjoy sitting around a camp fire getting sauced and telling stories.

I hope I am not too late in planning and making arrangements like this...please help.

Hope to meet a lot of you guys while I'm there.

*Fly into Milwaukee.

*Rent a car at any Milwaukee rental office other than the airport, much cheaper and an easy cab ride.

*Book a hotel now! if they are sold out the dorms at University of Wisconsin may be your best bet. Check the OSH Website. You can also look on Craigslist, there are a lot of people who rent houses or rooms.

*Honestly, the amount of time spent there will depend on the wife. You could probably be there everyday all week, but she may not have the passion you do and a couple days may be enough for her.

Even cheaper is Chicago and a rental at O'Hare (Southwest flies into Midway, which is too far). Will cost you an extra hour of driving each direction; so you need to decide what your time is worth.

The best days of the show are the front end -- a lot of interesting hardware flies back out by the end of the week.

2010 was my first time at Oshkosh. I camped there for a week and still couldn't see everything. Something I noticed when I was there was the daily line up of cars coming in for the day was massive. I don't know how quickly the lines moved (maybe someone could chime in on that), but you may consider getting a place to stay that is on one of the shuttle bus pick routes.

Cheers,

I've both camped and stayed off-field, once at the dorms in Oshkosh and multiple times at the dorms in Fond du Lac. Except for the time the kids and I drove from NC I have always rented a car, so would drive in daily and park. I don't like being tied to shuttles, and have thing about having my own wheels.

Getting there, I have more than once flown into Chicago and rented a car. Once (noted above) the kids and I drove from NC. Then last year I flew the Citabria from NC and ended up at Fond du Lac due to the soggy conditions at Osh. Each approach has its good/bad points, but flying the Citabria was the most fun. :)

Honestly, getting in/out isn't bad unless you are trying to leave right after the airshow. The lines move fairly quickly and they marshal people into parking places quite effectively. I've never had a problem with it. Also, once you pay for the day you can leave and return without paying again as long as you hold onto your daily parking pass. (Or, that is how it has worked for me.)

We looked at getting a hotel/motel room this year, and the prices and availability, even a few months ago, were astounding (i.e. high prices and low availability). I would actually enjoy camping (we camp every year at Sun-N-Fun) except getting enough camping gear there to make the experience tolerable can't be done flying commercial. Camping with the limited baggage space available in the Citabria wasn't viable either. Maybe when the RV is finished. :) Being on-field really enhances the experience (IMHO) because you are fully immersed. But if your wife doesn't like camping .... I can't blame you for not wanting to go that route! This year we'll be down in Fond du Lac at Marian University again. Its spartan, but we frankly don't spend much time in the room anyway. So its just a place to sleep when we come back exhausted after a day of wandering the field.

As others have noted before, the first part of the week seems best. Whether at Osh or Sun-N-Fun we tend to bug out the last Saturday morning early. Crowds get worse on the weekend, and many interesting planes have often bugged out by then too.

No idea which is cheapest (you can find that) but Milwaukee would be much quicker/easier. I drive the Chicago most years (when I don't fly) and HATE Chicago. The campground does have wifi at many locations and, if you have air mattresses, it isn't bad. The dorms aren't air conditioned, I understand, so similar temps. There are very good facilities in the campground, and that is where the fun is in the evening. Try to hook up with someone who has been there; it will save you time and frustration. Many people LOVE to show newbies around! I will have too many this year...

If your wife can run a triathalon, she can handle Camp Schooler!

Bob

Driving / camping / parking

One year we flew and camped in the North 40 while a friend flew commercial to ORD and rented a car. He parked in the RED lot which is next to the N40 but camped with us.
Last year we flew and camped at Fond du Lac but borrowed a Suburban from a relative. We parked the Sub in a business' parking lot (with prior arrangement) and walked thru the gate by Friar Tucks into the N40 camp area (NW corner of OSH). No hassle with traffic. That area of the field is served by the School Bus Shuttle.

I've done Chicago and Milwaukee. MKE is a shorter drive, but you may get a better airfare and availability into Chicago. The drive from Chicago isnt too bad either.

As others have advised. I agree to get your rental car off airport in MKE to save money...and reserve it early (months ahead) as they have been jacking up the prices during the week of OSH lately which kind of aggravates me.

Good luck, you'll have a ball!

Good stuff guys...keep it coming. I think I have made a few decisions. Commercial flight into MKE on Sunday night or Monday morning. Stay until Thursday. I may have a handle on lodging but it is not concrete yet.

Rental car....hmmm....I think I might need that. Your thoughts?

Quickest and cheapest................

Fly into Appleton. Get on EAA bus at airport curb on the hour $13 to OSH main gate. At the EAA bus info Boothe, they will hold your luggage till you are ready to go to dorms.

At the end of your first day at OSH, get on a bus at the bus loop to the dorms. Step off the bus and ask where registration is...... get your room and go eat. The next morning, buses will be lined up to take you back to the show and drop you off at the bus loop at the main entrance.

2010 prices..... Appleton to OSH round trip.... $25
Dorm room 2 beds per night... 52
bus form dorm to OSH............we did a week pass still cheap!

You don't need an air conditioned room.....:eek: but it is best to get a room on the EAST side of the building.

BRING A FAN!!!! You only need a small fan. Get a 5 inch fan for each person. They have them at Target and Wallmart and will fit in your luggage.Trust me on this.

Even if you stay for the entire week, you won't see it all.

Just as a data point, if you want to camp you can mail your gear to Oshkosh and pick it up there on the grounds once you arrive at Wittman, then mail it back out again. Don't know what the cost is, but it's an option. The AirVenture website will have the details, but as with much of 2011's info, they haven't posted updates yet as to the exact process.

Another option is to see if anyone else near your home is driving (or flying something with good cargo capability) and might be willing to lug your gear with them.

Rental car....hmmm....I think I might need that. Your thoughts?

Rental cars can get expensive, but it is really nice to have the freedom to go do what you might like. In 2008 we staring getting some heavy rain, so a quick drive to the walmart across the street and we had rain jackets and umbrellas. A rental car will also allow you to venture out at your will. Say for instance you may want to drive to get a nice dinner, go see a Brewers Baseball game, or even tour the Miller Brewery.

Rent a Room In A Private Home and Walk To Show

Flying into Appleton and getting a bus to Osh is a DEFINITE!
As far as accomodations go do the following:

1- Go to www.airventure.org
2- Click on "Planning" then "Where To Stay"
3- Click On "Private Housing"
4- Surf the Offerings. You can see the distance to the show for each offering :)

As of today there are 133 options to choose from. Everything from individual rooms to whole houses.

Two years ago I rented a room less than a mile from the airport. Each night the renters and the owners sat in the back yard drinking adult beverages and talking airplanes. Air conditioned house with Wi-Fi cost me $75 (I think) per night including breakfast. The owners were AWESOME!

The owner of the home takes the week off for vacation and works the show. If you are up bright and early he will drive you to the show.

Check your Private Messages and I will send you the name and telephone number of the people I stayed with. I won't be attending this year.

Wi-Fi not a problem

Last year AirVenture added a LOT more Wi-Fi coverage. So bring the laptop along and you'll have no problems getting coverage anywhere. They cover the parking lots, campgrounds, all vendor space, even the "North 40". You'll be hard pressed NOT to get coverage.

Last year I stayed in my motorhome in the old WalMart parking lot and was still able to get Wi-Fi signal from AirVenture.

The U of Wisconsin Black Hawk dorm adventure may be a good bet. For sure they have wifi and you can party and tell stories to your hearts content either at the field or at the dorms. There is good bus service both ways and an excellent breakfast every morning. They also have air conditioning for more bucks.

I've stayed there a number of times and it is viable alternative to camping. The chances of getting into a close-by motel are very slim unless you happen to know of someone giving up a long standing repeat reservation.

The dorm contact for a reservation is on the Air Adventure housing list. If they are booked, don't give up, there are many last minute cancelations every year.

Good luck.

(I passed on OSH 2010 on account of the weather but this year I am going even if there is a snow storm. It is the greatest air show on earth. :)

Thanks for all the help guys. I got lodging all lined up thanks to the help I received on VAF. I think I have decided on driving out there from NJ. :eek:

Driving will be an adventure though and we plan on making a trip out of it on the way back. Ann Arbor..Toronto..Niagra Falls..then back to NJ. Lots of driving. I am also thinking of taking my Jeep Wrangler....top down, sunny skies, you know. Then I thought about the gas bill...oh well...you only live once.

How's ther crime rate in Oshkosh? These Jeeps are a haven for thieves.

25891_1299357917137_1026082126_30660363_8094070_n.jpg

If you are looking for cool things to do on your way to/from Oshkosh along your route, might I recommend adding a ride on the S.S. Badger? http://www.ssbadger.com/

You beat me! I drive thru the night with the family from Columbus, OH to Ludington, MI. Catch the 9AM ferry to Manitowoc. Stay at the Green Bay Hampton Inn and drive to OSH. I despise driving anyplace close to Chicago regardless of the time day or night.

If you go this route, get a stateroom. It doesn't cost too much and you have a clean toilet for the trip across the lake. This is usually the highlight of the trip for the kids :cool:

MKE

I priced the commercial flights into ORD, MDW and MKE. MKE is much cheaper. I fly from Tampa and get a direct flight to MKE. I have business in Chicago the Thursday before AirVenture and it is far cheaper to fly into MKE, rent a car, drive to Chicago and stay for a few days there (gotta catch a Cubs game) and then head to OSH. I stay at the Country Inn and Suites in Appleton and that's about as close as you'll get. As I recall, you work in ATC, right? All of the FAA folks stay at the Country Inn if that interests you. NO hotel rooms exist in Oshkosh even now. Most, if not all, are booked every year on an ongoing basis. You might also consider coming in a day earlier in case flights are hard to come by. I stayed in the dorms in UWO a few years ago but it's not great for a family. I get to AirVenture usually by 9 or 10 am and park in the blue lot which is directly east of the commercial exhibits. The earlier you get there, the shorter the lines and the closer you get.

Just my own personal opinions

Bill Near

The Badger looks like a great excursion...perhaps the Lake Express ferry will do. We'll see.

I have been very lucky since starting this thread as I have compiled a great itinerary after taking in all your advice. Perhaps my luck will continue and I will find an RV to purchase while I am there. Have you guys seen a lot of RVs for sale while at Airventure?

Which RV are you looking for? We will have a 12 brand new and flying for the cost of the kit. Best deal on VAF!

Bob

Bob...I have seen your posts on this. Awesome deal for somebody looking for a 12!

I am in the market for a 7A, 6A...might be persuaded to a tail dragger.

Finally to OSH for the first time at 47!

Going for the first time and will be there Sat to Sat and can't wait! Imagine an airplane nut since birth and a pilot for ten years and just now going. I travel for a living and thus have a hotel room for redeemed points only. All that time on the road finally pays off.

Wifi

OSH really does have free WIFI all over the place now.

The show organizers are a class act.

m

Last edited:
Back