What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remote mounting the AFP Purge Valve

rph142

Well Known Member
Hit another speed bump tonight. Just incase anyone is wondering, the RV-3 FWF is really tight...I mean REALLY tight. My purge valve control arm is hitting the top cowl at about half stroke. My two options are to remote mount the valve or to rotate the valve so the control arm is pointed down into the engine. I am wondering if it would be possible to mount the valve on the rear baffle or firewall, roughly 6" - 15" away from the flow divider (spider?). Has anyone had to remote mount the purge valve? Im guessing this is only an issue on RV-3's and 4's.

Thanks,
Rob

If you currently have the "straight" arm on your purge valve, consider getting the "angled" arm from Don. It will give a little more clearance from the cowl, and might be enough to fix your issue. Regarding whether remote-mounting the purge valve is acceptable or not, ultimately the person who can best advise you is Don at Airflow. Give him a call.

The purge valve is also available with left or right rotation to open, so that could potentially help this situation too.

I just got off the phone with Kyle from AFP (Don was out). He said this is common on RV-3's and that they have a special bracket that remedies this problem. I am going to ship it back to them tomorrow. Ill post pics when I get it installed.

Back