What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh Trip Layover Suggestions?

MikeyDale

Well Known Member
My wife and I hope to fly towards Oshkosh from West Texas on Friday morning and overnight somewhere within 200 miles or so South for an early Saturday morning arrival at Airventure HBC. This would be the Saturday before the show starts. It was tough last year arriving in the heat Saturday afternoon with all the traffic and then setting up camp in the heat of the day (humidity was awful). We would like to find an interesting place to spend Friday night with a decent FBO. Any suggestions?

Last year on the Thursday before the show we made an unscheduled stop at Austin Municipal (KAUM) in Minnesota due to a thunderstorm preventing our access to our planned stop in Portage Wisconsin. The airport at Austin was really nice and the owner/operator of the FBO was very helpful.

We got one of the airport cars with air conditioning and we stayed the night at the Holiday Inn nearby. There are good restaurants within walking distance to the hotel.

The Hormel factory where they MFG. Spam was in between the airport and hotel. They give tours but we were late, maybe next time.

The next morning we flew into Osh. I'm glad we arrived early on Friday. The Saturday and Sunday arrivals looked somewhat risky from the ground.

Read and understand the Notam.

Have fun!

Mike,
It's over double the distance but you and the wife are welcome to stay at our place if plans change.

Mike,

Let me know what you find as my wife and I are headed to HBC either late Friday doing what you're planning or departing very early Saturday morning.

Last year I stayed in Ankeny, IA KIKV. There are several hotels less than a mile from the airport (easy walking distance) and the FBO will drive you and pick up if you don't want to walk. Had dinner across the street from the hotel at the Outback Steakhouse.
I'm planning on staying there again this year on Sat. night to arrive in OSH on Sunday.

KMFI

KMFI is not too far from Oshkosh. If you fly in I can give you a ride to a hotel.

PM me if you want.

We used to stop at Racine, WI when the wife and I flew to OSH in our Yankee. RAC is about 80 nm from OSH. After 3 legs sweating it out under the canopy, we would stop at Racine for the night: courtesy ride to a hotel with a pool, nearby restaurants, breakfast and then be at OSH with more than a half a tank of gas.

Thanks for all the great ideas but it looks like we will be staying with a friend!
Larry, I look forward to seeing you in HBC or maybe in the air along the way! Andy, may take you up on that offer someday as I would love to visit Kansas!

We do Reedsburg WI C35. Airport right in town to walk to hotel and food for the night. Quick 30 minute flight to Ripon

Back