What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Twin

IMG_8739_zpsfidkidkj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
13346125_10209190402655721_6663500255862087231_o_zpsth8huj4j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20150727_195321_zpsjs6vijdw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Main gear from Piper PA28
Trim horizontal stab from Cessna 180 elevator leading edge moves up & down to trim
Original wings installed outboard of stub wings cut 23.5 inch from wing tip. ailerons were moved in 23,5 inches
Flaps were lengthened 23.5 inches
New Nose gear bar from Langair ( they make gear legs for Vans aircraft ) was extended 5 inches and was not tapered
Internal rudder bar installed in fuselage, attached for rudder trim bungee assembly From PA30. Push pull rods attached to rudder bar to the rudder.
Show Planes Fast back Conversion ( Canopy to the Side)

Hi everyone, you might have heard that I had an Accident on High speed taxi test when the plane unexpectedly went into the air, of my twin engine experimental built from RV8 components and outfitted with O-320s (from a Twin Comanche) and fixed gear. A 6 year project ? my 4th RV or RV-type build and my 5th RV-type first flight. I?m now through my first 90 days out from the accident. I am walking -- not very good -- but walking, and I?ve had time to gather all my thoughts.
I can tell you this, my plane went into the air straight and level at Stafford Regional Airport, elevation 211 MSL and a 5000 foot runway. It behaved normally till --- I only had half throttle, say 1800 RPM. I pushed the nose over to stop climb and a quick aileron check (Roll to left and right) everything good so far. Then I pushed up throttles forward and almost immediately after takeoff, the airplane's track diverged from the runway centerline off the right side of the and over the grass apron. The climb stopped at what appeared to be treetop height, the wings rocked, left rudder pushed, back over the runway, but I felt I had not enough runway to land. With little air speed I turned to the right to avoid the interstate highway ahead, and down the plane went. Thanks to the Stafford County Fire and Rescue people, and associated law enforcement folks, I got to the hospital promptly after being extracted from the inverted plane.
The right engine failed somehow, but we don?t know how. The engines were extensively ground run to full throttle, All through the run ups before takeoff that day, all checks were good at both full power and 2200 rpm where the constant speed, full feathering MT propellers worked great. Yet, the NTSB ran the right engine after the incident, found it was not running properly, but did not find a cause of that.
But, now that the post event review and rethinking everything is done, the plane in my hangar, and I guess it is time to pull apart. I?d like to rebuild it, but hospital bills don?t permit that. So, the engine cores are for sale, and the panel parts must go. Everything in the pictures is available.
Thank you for all your prayers and support. It?s a sad thing to say goodbye to this project, and I seem to be having trouble letting go. But, let me know if you can use any parts from this project.

Last edited:
That was one heck of an undertaking there.

Any pictures of how it stands now?

Glad your doing well and recovering!!

Bobbi,

I'm glad to hear that you're on the mend. Lots of chapter members have been asking about you and keeping you in their thoughts and prayers. I'm sad to hear about the sale, but let me know if we can do anything to help.

Rob

hi thank you so much, i am with help pulling a part to see what is good, and bad, i want some one to come pick up and carry on, you can use any 8A plane,
I would be happy to help any one.... Bobbi:)

Ms Bobbi..

..it's just good to hear you're on the mend. That's one heck of a project! I hope someone carries it forward, or at least, that the parts may get to fly on, in another project. Get well soon.

Back