What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Pull Handle

Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
I've noticed that some builders mount a small loop handle on their canopy skirts at the very rear. This allows you to open the canopy by pulling up and back. I like the idea and am thinking of fabricating one. Any thoughts or suggestions from those who've gone before on this?

I've noticed that some builders mount a small loop handle on their canopy skirts at the very rear. This allows you to open the canopy by pulling up and back. I like the idea and am thinking of fabricating one. Any thoughts or suggestions from those who've gone before on this?

I've seen it and like the idea too. Seems like some people have used cabinet handles.

Small stainless drawer pull... Ended up painting it to match...

There's some aluminum sheet under the fibreglass to reinforce it...

Small stainless drawer pull... Ended up painting it to match...

There's some aluminum sheet under the fibreglass to reinforce it...

Nice idea. I'll visit Lowes today and see if they have something like that. I was thinking of just taking a piece of 1/4" 4130 steel tube, bending it into a U and threading the ends, but if I can just buy something....:D

Canopy handle

Lowes works great. Mine is 4 years and working well. I suggest making the holes in the plexiglass larger than your screws, that way your canopy won't crack.

I considered attaching a handle to help open the canopy. But what I've found is that all the parts loosen with time and usage, and an assist handle at the rear of the canopy became unnecessary on my RV8

I have one. It's extremely handy. The only issue is that on this installation the screws can sometimes come loose. Getting in there to tighten them can be a hassle, because you have to reach under the skirt and the fuselage hinders access to the screw heads. But it can be done. However you choose to do it, either prevent them com coming loose or make access to them easy.

Just thinking...

What if you just made an access hole the size of a quarter that you could put your finger in to slide the canopy back? You could reinforce the hole from below and fabricate a round cover for it with a hinge and spring that would keep it in place. Push the button to reveal the hole, slide the canopy back, and the cover springs shut when you pull your finger out. Is there room under the skirt for something like that?

Back