What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Cross Country Ferry Flight?

DwightFrye

I have a friend who has been tasked with helping someone ferry a factory-built RV-12 from Oregon to North Carolina. He is an extremely experienced pilot, but has never flown an LSA literally across the country. We are looking for advice, particularly with respect to good plans and routes to get the RV-12 through the high country.

Anyone have recommended routes over the Rockies? Thanks!

You could follow I-84 and I-86 to Pocatallo, ID, then follow highway 30 into Wyoming and proceed SE towards I-80 and follow it to Cheyenne. This will keep you away from anything more than about 8,500'. For the leg across Wyoming you're crossing a high, mostly flat plateau that's roughly 7,000' MSL.

Because most of Wyoming is so uninhabited and desolate, it's a good idea to fly it IFR (I Follow Roads).

Last edited:
RV12

search--f1rocket,
Go to----Visit f1fockets home page,
click on the 12

5000 mile round trip to Oregon for paint.
To read Click Here on the page.

***Look at RV HOTEL list for cross country flight?

Last edited:
Fly the Clark Fork River Valley and you won't be disappointed. I don't think we got over 4500' as we crossed the continental divide. As others have said, once you get to MT you will have to go higher but its much flatter.

You'd better go soon though. They already have snow in the black hills.

You could follow I-84 and I-86 to Pocatallo, ID, then follow highway 30 into Wyoming and proceed SE towards I-80 and follow it to Cheyenne. This will keep you away from anything more than about 8,500'. For the leg across Wyoming you're crossing a high, mostly flat plateau that's roughly 7,000' MSL.

Because most of Wyoming is so uninhabited and desolate, it's a good idea to fly it IFR (I Follow Roads).

Ditto what Joe said. Also, fly early in the morning in the mountains and hang it up by 2 pm if the winds are over 20 knots.

Back