What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Creative location for Dynon AP74 module

Darin Watson

Well Known Member
Friend
I would like to add the AP74 module to D10A but will struggle to do so without major panel surgery. Only real space I have is in a 3" hole, under the panel (i.e. similar to the throttle/prop/mixture sub panel) or in an "arm rest" between the seats.

I don't really like either of the last two options, and Dynon does not make a round module....so looking for a good idea from others. Would appreciate a photo, if possible.

31c7.jpg
[/IMG]I had the same problem with the AP Panel unit, here is what I did, now trying to decide if I should put it between my knees or over in the center below the throttle etc.

Last edited:
That is cute. It would seem to be a knee knocker like you have yours mounted, but as near as I can tell from crawling in and out, it seems to not be in the way at all. I notice that over in the center, it will be very hard to read with my aging eyes, but I can see it fine where you put yours! Have you flown yet with it mounted there?
Funny you should mention. I just did this last night:

2aez71t.jpg

That is cute. It would seem to be a knee knocker like you have yours mounted, but as near as I can tell from crawling in and out, it seems to not be in the way at all. I notice that over in the center, it will be very hard to read with my aging eyes, but I can see it fine where you put yours! Have you flown yet with it mounted there?

I thought it would be in the way as well, but turns out it's not at all. I have the standard panel, and I've noticed a lot of folks extend their panel down an inch or more into the knee area for extra EFIS/switch space.

With the weather here I haven't flown it yet since the installation, but lots of hangar flying and getting in/out of the seat during and after install haven't turned up any problems. The best part is it's really easy to remove if it does wind up being a problem, and only leaves two small 3/16" holes in the bottom of the panel which I'll never see.

I recently started training for an instrument rating, and the knob module will really reduce the time and attention spent switching between bugs. I'll report back if I end up removing it due to a knee-knock issue. One thing to note, make absolutely sure that nothing mounted in that area interferes with flight controls. In my particular installation, this was not an issue at all.

Data plate can be anywhere & not necessarily on panel however the Warning plate has to be in that area, just like you guys do ?

Jake J
OZ.

Flew with the Skyview AP and knob modules mounted below the panel this morning (as shown in my photo in previous posts). No knee/leg interference, no control issues. In fact, it's pretty easy to reach all the knobs/buttons here. I like it!

Try it, and if you don't like it there for yourself, simply remove it! The only evidence will be a couple holes in the bottom of your panel that you'll never see.

Your endorsement is all I need, that is where it is going! My legs are shorter than average too, so it seems to be an ideal place for me - AND I can read the labels with it there!

Your endorsement is all I need, that is where it is going! My legs are shorter than average too, so it seems to be an ideal place for me - AND I can read the labels with it there!

Gosh Don, now I REALLY hope you like it there! Just think...one of my ideas made it on to AF1!

Do report back on your experience, please.

Back