What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot inoperative during Mag. Interference after G5 software update to V5.10

Ralph Ketter

Patron
I'm helping a friend install a Garmin G5 system with a Garmin GMC 307 autopilot and servos.
We have an interference problem when engaging the autopilot. We had software version 2.10 for the G5 but updated it to version 5.10 see if that would resolve a different issue. After the software update we can no longer engage the GMC 307 autopilot while in configuration mode to do the Magnetometer interference test. Can anyone with a similar setup who has upgraded to version 5.10 duplicate this? :confused:

G5 Version 5.10

Since it seems the Garmin G5 version 5.10 software won't allow turning on the autopilot during the configuration mode, I'd like to revert back to older software so we can continue with the Magnetometer Interference testing.
I don't have a copy of older software and even if I did there is apparently no way of manually installing it. Per the Garmin Installation manual the only way I see to update software is to install a newer version.

I'm helping a friend install a Garmin G5 system with a Garmin GMC 307 autopilot and servos.
We have an interference problem when engaging the autopilot. We had software version 2.10 for the G5 but updated it to version 5.10 see if that would resolve a different issue. After the software update we can no longer engage the GMC 307 autopilot while in configuration mode to do the Magnetometer interference test. Can anyone with a similar setup who has upgraded to version 5.10 duplicate this? :confused:

Hello Ralph,

The G5 software didn't even have support for a GMU 11 magnetometer until V3.00, so not sure what you were accomplishing with V2.10.

Please don't be misled by people pointing you off to a thread discussing software that is not even relevant to your G5 based system.

I don't honestly know without trying if you can engage the G5 autopilot with the G5 in configuration mode (never considered doing that), but I would be surprised if that is possible.

Why don't you start the system in normal mode with a calibrated magnetometer, observe the heading at several points around the compass rose, and see if it changes at each point when you engage the autopilot in PIT/ROL modes by pressing the AP button on the GMC 307.

We are happy to help out with anything you need if you contact us by phone or email shown below. I just checked the G3Xpert Inbox and don't see that you have contacted us.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Ralph,

The G5 software didn't even have support for a GMU 11 magnetometer until V3.00, so not sure what you were accomplishing with V2.10.
Perhaps it was 3.xx but I remembered it as 2.10 My friend had contacted Garmin support via phone which is what lead us to update the software.

I don't honestly know without trying if you can engage the G5 autopilot with the G5 in configuration mode (never considered doing that), but I would be surprised if that is possible.

We were doing the G5 Magnetometer Interference Test per the G5 Manual 190-02072-01_01 Paragraph 8.4.6.5 Calibration Procedure E: Magnetometer Interference Test. Specifically I am referring Table 8.5 (page 8-19) the step at 2:20 "Autopilot on".

To access the Interference Test the unit must be in Configuration Mode. Per Paragraph 8.4.6.5 Calibration Procedure E: Magnetometer Interference Test -
Step 1 reads "Select the Magnetometer Configuration page."

Before updating the software we did the test and it failed because we have the magnetometer too close to the pitch servo and servo power wiring. We are wanting to rerun the test after trying a new location but apparently the V5.10 software will not allow it. My friend contacted Garmin support again and ask for help. We did not get an immediate answer but were promised a follow up.

We are happy to help out with anything you need if you contact us by phone or email shown below. I just checked the G3Xpert Inbox and don't see that you have contacted us.

Thanks,
Steve
Since I am not the owner of the hardware I was reluctant to contact you myself but I will follow up soon as you suggest with a email to the G3Xpert Inbox. I did do most of the installation.

Perhaps it was 3.xx but I remembered it as 2.10 My friend had contacted Garmin support via phone which is what lead us to update the software.

We were doing the G5 Magnetometer Interference Test per the G5 Manual 190-02072-01_01 Paragraph 8.4.6.5 Calibration Procedure E: Magnetometer Interference Test. Specifically I am referring Table 8.5 (page 8-19) the step at 2:20 "Autopilot on".

To access the Interference Test the unit must be in Configuration Mode. Per Paragraph 8.4.6.5 Calibration Procedure E: Magnetometer Interference Test -
Step 1 reads "Select the Magnetometer Configuration page."

Before updating the software we did the test and it failed because we have the magnetometer too close to the pitch servo and servo power wiring. We are wanting to rerun the test after trying a new location but apparently the V5.10 software will not allow it. My friend contacted Garmin support again and ask for help. We did not get an immediate answer but were promised a follow up.

Since I am not the owner of the hardware I was reluctant to contact you myself but I will follow up soon as you suggest with a email to the G3Xpert Inbox. I did do most of the installation.

Hello Ralph,

We are happy to help anyone working with the equipment, not just the owner.

Again, it is very easy to test for autopilot interference with the magnetometer in normal mode as explained above. Forget about doing it in configuration mode.

Thanks,
Steve

Again, it is very easy to test for autopilot interference with the magnetometer in normal mode as explained above. Forget about doing it in configuration mode.

Thanks,
Steve
Thanks for your response. We can try that but that seems to be more of an interpretive test compared to having a hard number as done in the configuration mode.

We initially had 500% - got it down to about 140% by moving some servo power leads. Anything over 100% is a failed test.

So now it seems either the G5 install manual needs updating to change the interference test or something has changed in the software.

Back