What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

stepping on heated seat

1bigdog

Well Known Member
For those building version where we have to step on seats to get in, how have the heated seats been lasting?

I'm looking to integrate 2 flyboy seat heaters into 2 Oregon Aero seats in an RV-9A, so obviously I'll be stepping on the heating pad. I thought those pads get damaged when flexed. Are things improved in design or we should still expect failures?

Thanks.

400 hours, and going strong. Stepped on frequently. FYI, I have some trimmed carpet that gets stepped on so that may distribute the weight a little.

500+ hours and 5 years and all is well. Similar to Joel, I use a towel when I or my pax steps on a seat.

I put close to 1100 hours on our 7A over 10 years, never had any issues.

Gary

In the 'old days', car seat heaters had tiny little copper wires in them to transfer heat. Nowadays the seat heat pads have some sort of conductive carbon cloth like material that is so thin and flexible you can cut it to size (in one direction anyway) with a pairs of scissors. I don't think stepping on the seat will harm it.

thanks

Greatly appreciate everyone chiming in' and to hear it's all good news.
Finally something I don't have to overthink !!!

Cheers

Installed mine as removable seat covers. Work great! Can see where they are so I don't step on them.

Mike

No issues in 500+ hours. I don't use them that often here in SoCal, but they sure are nice to have when it is cold out and the Oregon Aero foam is hard and stiff.

We've been selling these for many years and hundreds of seats and I don't recall having any issues blamed on stepping on the seat heaters. :)

Back