What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL 39 to G3X Wiring?

DwightFrye

How does one wire a GDL 39 to a G3X (non-touch) EFIS? Is it just connecting to the serial input lines? It is a GDU 375, if the owner is communicating the model number correctly. I have a G3X installation manual, but as best I can tell it doesn't speak -specifically- to the issue of wiring a GDL 39 as the ADS-B IN data source.

Additionally, how does one configure the G3X to receive the ADS-B IN data from the GDL 39? Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks!

How does one wire a GDL 39 to a G3X (non-touch) EFIS? Is it just connecting to the serial input lines? It is a GDU 375, if the owner is communicating the model number correctly. I have a G3X installation manual, but as best I can tell it doesn't speak -specifically- to the issue of wiring a GDL 39 as the ADS-B IN data source.

Additionally, how does one configure the G3X to receive the ADS-B IN data from the GDL 39? Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks!

Hello Dwight,

Page 26-14 of the Rev. AB G3X Installation Manual provides connection and configuration information to connect a GDL 39 to a G3X system.

Thanks,
Steve

Never Mind (I think)

Of course ... as soon as I post a question, I finally find what I need in the G3X manual. On page C-20 of the revision K install manual there is a diagram of the GDL 39 to G3X connections. It was, in fact, as simple as I expected. It can be connected to the #1 or #2 serial ports on the G3X, and it is a simple serial RX/TX connection. Find power and ground somewhere else for the GDL 39 and you are in business.

I guess my only lingering question is whether the pins are standard machined D-SUB pins, or if they are the mini pins. Anyone know?

Thanks!

Update
: I see while I was posting my update, I got reply from Steve .. the g3xpert. Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Pins..

They are standard female sockets on the EFIS connection, and bare wire cable on the GDL39 end.. unless you have the GDL39R, then they are standard female sockets as well.

Back