What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The threat to Vans is the threat to all of us.

Captain Avgas

Well Known Member
The thread "Great news from the Mother Ship" has been closed. I don't want to comment on the wisdom of that closure because I don't want this thread closed too. Go here for the original closed thread. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=146949

The above thread was about the culmination of a legal action taken against Vans and it is self explanatory...and it is truly important to each and every one of us.

No-one reading this post wants to be under any misconception about the threat that ongoing legal actions represent to Vans Aircraft....and to you and me. It is not at all inconceivable that Vans Aircraft could financially buckle under the weight of a number of legal actions similar to the one being discussed.

If Vans were to collapse it would leave thousands of builders with orphaned kits and many more thousands of owners without spare parts. It would be a catastrophe of immense proportions for RV builders and owners, and it would be a catastrophe for the Experimental category at large. If the largest (by far) Experimental kit manufacturer cannot survive due to legal actions then the future for the others is grim.

In the first post of the closed thread Doug Reeves congratulated Vans on having the case against them dismissed. But that congratulations may have been premature. According to Avweb the case may not have been "dismissed" but instead settled privately. See here: http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Vans-Aircraft-Lawsuit-Dismissed-228546-1.html

There is a line of thought out there that that this is just a public liability insurance matter for Vans, and that having liability coverage is a cost of doing business that's already baked into kit and parts costs. I would suggest that is a dangerous presumption and an oversimplification of the situation. There are 3 different types of "public liability" insurance that could be relevant to Vans as follows:

Straight Public Liability insurance is relatively cheap. It would cover Vans in respect of injury or property damage related to their business activities. If a customer slips on Van's wet floor during a factory inspection and injures himself then this policy would cover Vans. But it will NOT cover Vans for Product Liability.

Product Liability insurance can be ferociously expensive and in the case of a company fabricating aircraft kits for the Experimental category it could be prohibitively expensive. Product Liability insurance protects against claims for personal injury or property damage caused by products sold or supplied by a business. Vans may or may not be able to afford this category of insurance. But even if they can afford it now, ongoing legal actions may increase premiums beyond their means. Nothing puts the wind up an insurance company like a $35 million lawsuit.

Professional Indemnity insurance can also be ferociously expensive. It covers legal liability arising out of professional advice provided to customers. In the legal case in question it was argued by the plaintiff that Van's "building instructions" (as opposed to the product itself) were flawed. Because Vans is not a professional consultancy they may not have Professional Indemnity cover. Whether Vans had insurance coverage for the claim in question might have come down to whether their Product Liability insurer (if they had one) considered the assembly manual to be a part of the product or simply professional advice.

Van Aircraft may be the biggest manufacturer of kit aircraft in the world but they are in fact only a small company and they probably have only very limited financial and personnel capacity to deal with lawsuits such as the one in question.

one observation

ok, there may not be a topic more unpopular, yet more widely discussed than these types.....

my thoughts: Can a company really absolve themselves of liability?
should they be able to?

much as it pains me to see families suffer from loss,
life, and what we choose to do with it, comes with risk.

If the first page of the 'kit' had the admonishment:
' this is a crate full of stuff. We are in no way responsible for what you do with it.
Period.' ...would that ensure the survival of the company?

The fact that we get online or phone technical support from a great company is an anomaly these days. Every page we turn has instructions that can kill you, if misinterpreted, or followed in the wrong order, or you, the 'amateur', pick up the wrong bolt, and put it in the wrong hole.
How can we possibly expect a place that sells raw aluminum to know how tight we turn a fitting?

apparently, this is the expectation of some, and if we continue down this road, Capt. Avgas may be proved correct. :(

Well put!

(I didn't think the other thread was getting out of hand and don't understand why it was closed so quickly.)

Barbarians at the gate

I quit the Lancair forum because the administrator allowed a trial lawyer to join in order to snoop around for information to sue Lancair and/or Lancair owners. These are experimental aircraft and we all try different things - some of which don't work out. I lost interest knowing that anything I posted on that forum might become grounds for a lawsuit. Thanks for having me over here.

+1
I also am very cautious about what I post and where. I feel I have the most freedom here in this forum but I'm careful not to post anything that would potentially be misconstrued and harm the users of this forum, Vans aircraft or myself.

I quit the Lancair forum because the administrator allowed a trial lawyer to join in order to snoop around for information to sue Lancair and/or Lancair owners. These are experimental aircraft and we all try different things - some of which don't work out. I lost interest knowing that anything I posted on that forum might become grounds for a lawsuit. Thanks for having me over here.

The liability issue is out of control, no question about it.

When I learned to fly 30+ years ago you used to be able to make a radio call asking for an "Airport Advisory". The reply typically included the current wind conditions and what runway was in use, and if there was traffic in the pattern. Sometimes it was answered with, "The winds favor runway XX." Now those calls aren't answered and so I rarely make them any more.

This past weekend I landed at a county airport, low on fuel, and found out that the that particular airport no longer sells fuel due to liability issues. When I asked the locals why the FBO didn't answer the radio, I was given the same answer, they were instructed not to answer any radio calls due to possible liability issues.

What have we come to?

Last edited:
Hey gang, no lawyer or tort reform debates, remember?

Facts work, and we can discuss facts, just like we discuss NTSB reports. The case is:

Gleason vs Vans Aircraft, Case No. 15CV27984

You can download the original filing here:

http://media.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/other/experimental.crash.suit.pdf

Whatever records are open to the public are probably available at the Marion County courthouse. Somebody local go over there, request the records, and we'll all know the rest of the story. I for one would love to read what the judge had to say, if in fact he/she dismissed for cause, rather than by request of the parties.

Marion County Courthouse
100 High St. NE
Salem, OR 97309

Mailing Address:
Marion County Circuit Court
PO Box 12869
Salem, OR 97309-0869

Telephone:

Courthouse Hours:
8:00am - 5:00pm Mon-Fri

Marion County Circuit
Court Annex
4000 Aumsville Highway
Salem, Oregon

They're also available electronically, but you'd have to pay a fee to sign up, unfortunately. Depending on how many pages are in the record, it might be cheaper to get them that way, though...depends on the per-page copying fee the court charges.

that would be a good reason to quit a forum.

I host the BD-4 builder's forum and ask to provide a "reason to join" from new members. If I saw "lawyer seeking information" I would block the request, but it wouldn't be hard to pretend to be a new builder to gain access. In other words: That Lancair forum administrator may not have known of the identity of the trial lawyer.

Legal considerations are also why I don't make the content of our forum visible to the public and block search engines from listing postings. I wish there wasn't a need to close off our community.

Holger

I would like to see VAF become a closed forum similar to yours. But I'm sure DR's advertising income stream would dry up, hence it won't happen. I don't like the idea that anyone on the 'net can see what is posted here.

(?Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.? ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22) :D

this seems to be a logical request.

admin knew

That Lancair forum administrator may not have known of the identity of the trial lawyer.
Oh, he knew. Everyone knew. The lawyer self-identifed and posted:
I am presently representing the estate of one of the decedent's from a Lancair IV-P crash that occurred in Hartsville, SC, March 2014. In addition to being an attorney, I am also a pilot and hold an ATP and Learjet type rating. I have very little experience with Lancair aircraft, let alone experimental category aircraft. Some questions have come up that I could not answer and I thought this group, as builders and pilots, could help me find a few answers regarding the crash, more specifically how the various systems work on the IV-P from a pilot/operational perspective and the unique flight characteristics of the aircraft. I am also concerned that the factors presented in this case may claim more lives. I am not a "supplier" nor is it my intention to solicit business from this site. I hope I never again have to represent anyone in a crash as horrific, and what I believe to be avoidable, as this one. Attached below is a link to the NTSB preliminary report as well as a link to my website.
Sadly, several members chimed in to describe what they thought were defects in the Lancair design.

I would like to see VAF become a closed forum similar to yours. But I'm sure DR's advertising income stream would dry up, hence it won't happen. I don't like the idea that anyone on the 'net can see what is posted here.....

Suppose that VAF had closed up in 2008. If it had, I wouldn't have known of it and would not have decided to start an RV-3B, which I did. I wouldn't be posting on VAF and I probably would not have started writing for Kitplanes.

Regardless of the benefits of me building an RV-3B or my articles, think of all the other builders who browse around and eventually see VAF, lurk for a while and maybe post a few comments, and then one day, with a lot of trepidation, order an empennage kit.

That wouldn't happen.

Keep it open!

Dave

Back