What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

James wheel pants ? heads up ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Fitting the wheel pants on my RV4 with Desser 500x5 retreads. Full disclosure, Sam has been helpfull in a couple phone cons and nothing negative here.
The outboard + for the axle bolt was too high on the front glass half. It must be lower for tire clearance on the fairing. The .125 brackets ( pattern in instructions ) did not work for me so I made customs from .063 similar to Vans. Hope this saves someone grief 😊

Fitting the wheel pants on my RV4 with Desser 500x5 retreads. Full disclosure, Sam has been helpfull in a couple phone cons and nothing negative here.
The outboard + for the axle bolt was too high on the front glass half. It must be lower for tire clearance on the fairing. The .125 brackets ( pattern in instructions ) did not work for me so I made customs from .063 similar to Vans. Hope this saves someone grief 😊

Making per plans is difficult to bend at home. The Vans brackets will save weight too, good move, wish I had done that, (and might yet). Good to hear Sam was helpful.

edit: see correction in later post.

Check in again in a few hundred hours of flight time, after you replace the cracked stock aluminum material with stainless sheet or 1/8" aluminum. :)

I replaced them on my -4 with stainless sheet several hundred hours ago. The mounts in my -7 kit seem to be a bit heavier than the original parts on my -4.

Charlie

Last edited:
Check in again in a few hundred hours of flight time, after you replace the cracked stock aluminum material with stainless sheet or 1/8" aluminum. :)

I replaced them on my -4 with stainless sheet several hundred hours ago. The mounts in my -7 kit seem to be a bit heavier than the original parts on my -4.

Charlie

Charlie, did you make your stainless bracket the same shape as the SJ plans?

Charlie

Mine are out of .080, and were built per Sam's sketches. No problems after 1100 hours.

My bad; I should have been clearer, & I mis-read the posts. I thought the OP was using or copying Van's original brackets for the original wheel pants. I have the original pants, & replaced the original brackets with stainless copies. I used some stainless I had on hand; it's probably around 0.060" thick.

Sorry for the confusion,

Charlie

Clarification & detail on 063

Comforting to hear I am not the only one with issues. Regarding strength, I should clarify I laminated two layers of 063 AL around the axle bracket with 3M 2216 and rivets. The longer 063 piece extends out for 8-32 nut plates to support the glass pants. The laminated .125 area has some lightening holes. If we dont get 1,000 hours I will replace with SS 😏

Surface prep

Thanks Charlie.
I just used the 2216 to hold the parts together for fab AND fill voids from future potential corrosion. The 1/8" rivets do the heavy lifting. I just scuff and clean with acetone for my level of expectations.
Larry

Back