What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel Upgrade

Doug Sr.

It is great to hear that you are OK. I do not let my daughters in the shop untill their hair is in a bun. I am also going to ban loose clothing.

Thought it was time for an update. I installed the Aviation Products tailwheel recently and have flown with it several times. Not only is the feel while taxing seem to be better (perhaps only emotional) but knowing I have better ground clearance from anything solid is great for the peace of mind. Took about 15 minutes to install and like some had recommended I did drill a second hole. Both of mine are vertical (first one using the manufacturers pre-drilled pilot hole) and then a second. I did not use the Vans horizontal holes in the tailwheel spring rod. I have now ordered Van's improved tailwheel springs and cables to replace the standard (off the storm door) ones. All in all for the price a great up-grade to my "8"

Another Order

Hello Mr. Bell
I too would like to order one of your tail wheel yokes for my RV8 (Flying).
I sent Doug Jr. a personal e-mail, but just wanted to make sure I'm on the list. Glad to hear you are back up to speed.
Thanks in advance.

Jerry Morris
549 Sweet Apple Lane
Dahlonega, GA. 30533
RV-8
Flying
706-864-5902 H 512-964-7370 C
[email protected]
gloss black.

Tailwheel options

RVers,

I began offering an alternative tailwheel to the Rocket guys about 4 months ago. I can now offer it to the RV crowd also.

My product offers better handling and increased obstruction clearance as compared to the stock Van's tailwheel. I believe that all of the usual teething problems are behind me and feel that I have a very good product. Proudly made in the USA from 4130 steel.

My forks are designed to be a drop-in retrofit into the standard Van's tailwheel socket. It should take <5 minutes to install. Fork price $175 plus shipping. Forks are usually in stock for immediate delivery.

I also offer complete units for those who haven't purchased a tailwheel yet. Complete unit $241 plus shipping.

I guarantee your satisfaction. If you don't like it, send it back for a refund of your purchase price.

Read all about it here: www.vincesrocket.com/products.htm

Contact me directly at: [email protected]

Thanks,
Vince Frazier
RV-4 N94VF
F1H Rocket N540VF

Bell Tailwheel orders on hold till we catch up

Fellow builders and those who are waiting for their Bell tailfork,

Dad is back at it and is actually shipping 17 units out this week that are just finished.
We are as of now not accepting any more orders until we catch up. Dad's injury backed us up on production by several months and we simply want to make sure all who have ordered get their forks and the orders don't outrun the manufacturing capabilities.

We are going to catch up and everyone who has ordered to date through today the 28th of March, your order will be honored.
I actually helped pops on sunday cut the steel for the next batch.

We appreciate all the kind emails recieved about Dad's injury and the patience shown by all of you on the order list. Guys on the list who are builders and are kind enough to wait as we fill orders by flyers...thank you.

Flyers on the list...hang in there as we will get your order finished.

Again, we are not shutting down...we simply want to catch up.

Dad makes these custom and I assure you that he wants them to get to you and get to you as a high quality piece.

I will be contacting everyone on the list in the next several weeks to make sure you know where we stand.

Thanks again for your interest and orders...now back to the shop

Sincerely,
Fellow RV'ator
Doug

When...

Hi.

Great that your father is better! Hope he'll be fully restored real soon!
I live in Norway and will have my RV-7 ready to fly in 12-16 months.

I recently became aware of your fathers fine tailwheel, but unfortunately it looks like I'm too late for placing my order with you for now.
Do you have any idea when you'll be accepting orders again?

Regards Alf Olav Frog

when back in production

Alf,
Dad wants to catch up with the orders he has now. He doesn't want the orders to get so high that he cannot fulfil the commitment.
Your still building so you should check back with us closer to your wrapping up.
Doug jr.

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.
Ok, I'll do that, no problem.

In the meanwhile; good luck with the production!
Great product!

Regards ao

Got my Bell tailfork in the mail today.............15 minutes later it was installed on the 7. Great looking piece and I really, really like the increased height.

Big thumbs up on this product.

RV8iator said:
Just out of curiosity, when did you order it? Can't wait to get mine.

Jerry, the Bell's will certainly chime in here but I contacted them probably 6-7 months ago and told them my expected finish time. They try and go with the people who need the units as per the builders level of completion. Mine arrived at just the right time.

Alternate tailwheel available

www.vincesrocket.com/products.htm

More clearance and superior handling compared to Van's TW. Less drag than the Bell unit. Will accept tailwheel fairings (see website).

Retrofit fork replaces existing Van's tailwheel forks in 5 minutes. Complete units also available for new installations.

Normally in stock for immediate delivery.

Thanks,
Vince

Vince's Rocket Tailwheel comments

I installed Vince's TW on my RV8. I personally, liked the looks of the Vince's TW, since it mimics the look of the VAN's standard issue TW.
At any rate, it was easy to install and I really like it. I also added the sealed bearings and spacers, that Vince offers, to the TW and I REALLY like that. No more grease slinging up on the rudder bottom and the wheel looks a lot cleaner with out the grease fitting in it.
Bottom line, for me, I like it a whole lot better than the standard VAN's TW, more clearance and a little bit better view over the nose. Steering is enhanced but not twitchy.
(I also added the LYNX springs and I like them, too, although I reversed the installation to put the springs down by the steering fork, since I had noted, on other planes, that they can hit the rudder fairing and mark the paint.)
Vince offers a good product and it is very easy to work with. I would recommend it.

Bell shipment of tail wheel forks

Fellow builders and flyers,
Dad just shipped out 16 units and is already on the next batch. We are trying to fill the orders the following way:
Flyers
then builders
As builders finish if they were on the list above a new order...they are inserted in. Seemed teh best way to do it and that's how Dad wanted to do it.

Vince...nice looking product. As ours, it certaily appears to be an improvement over Vans'

Doug

Tail wheel fork

Hi Doug,
Tell your dad that the fork looks great. Took about 10 min. to install.
The only problem is that it has caused the weather to change and it's been snowing ever since I installed. Still haven't been able to fly it.
Thanks again
Rich
N721ET

Read back a few pages Scott - both of them have had some injury issues, and Doug Senior got caught in the milling machine while working on production. They asked for some slack from the folks waiting.

If you're in a real hurry, you can do like I did, and get one of the Aviation Products wheels. I decided that I could let someone else have my place in line for the Bell wheel, even though I know it's a great unit.

Paul

Bell's are alive

Scott,
I'll call you directly. Apparently my emails still are not getting through to you. We are here and alive and well.
Dad is recovered from the winter and is working on a batch of 2 forks right now.
I'll call you and get you an update.
Thanks to everyone else for the patience shown...we are working on them. The 80 yr old is doing fine and better than my (42) as my right hand still does not work
The weather here is nice now and I look up to see the planes overhead as everyone is up for the first flights of the yr and my 8 sits in the hanger. Not able to use my hand yet so it's grounded...this really bites
Fly safe everyone
Doug Jr.

To Those who are waiting

I just received my Bell tailwheel and it is worth the wait. I was at my 100 hr/annual inspection and my tailwheel spring was rusted from some chains I had used to secure the plane. I removed the whole assembly, powdercoated the spring and my new tailwheel fork. The entire assembly went together without a hitch (unusual for my standard RV experience) and works great.
The tailwheel fork and spring are the only thing painted on my plane.
Thanks to the Bells for a good product

Bruce "FM" Edwards
RV-8, flying
200 HP, dual GRT, Digiflight
flying naked (no paint)

No news...

Hello Doug,

This is my first post on this great forum and I hope that I will be more lucky here because I have ordered a tailwheel upgrade from you on last December and after reading Scott Chatain's post, I am in the same situation as him without any reply from you...I have emailed you three times since march and I wonder if my emails are considered as Spams...
Hope you'll get my messages

Thanks a lot and best regards from France

Lionel LAURENT
RV-6 F-PJLL

You are on the list

Lionel,
Yes you are on the order list per your December email. I have replied to every one of you emails. I apologize for them not reaching you, but I did reply.
You are down as a builder and if you have a chance...please update me on your construction status when its convenient.
Thanks
Doug

Thanks Doug for your reply :) ,
May be there is something wrong with my mailbox...I'll try to check my spam filter...Otherwise, to tell you about the current status of my RV, I am finishing it and the first flight is planned now for late May/ June

Best regards

Lionel

Compare weights

Just received my Bell fork and it is a work of art! This kind of addition makes me smile.

Just for the heck of it I weighed the standard Van's tailwheel parts replaced by the new fork:

Bell fork, axel, nut, spacers, 1/2" locknut weighed in at 24.7 oz.
Van's parts replaced weighed in at 17.1 oz. so Bell fork adds approx. 1/2 lb. way in the back.

BELL Tailwheel Fork info.

Just a short note re production of the Bell tailforks. Things were slow for a while during late winter, but we finally got rolling at a reasonable rate and have just completed shipment of our second batch of new forks this year, to RVers around the country.
Since starting manufacturing again, we have shipped 43 finished forks and as before, the notes that come back with the checks are most encouraging.

Right now we are busy with Doug Jr's RV8 paint job. Taking the old girl apart to prepare for paint sure did not take as long as putting her together. The young man that is doing the work for us has his own spotless paintshop just 1/4 mile from the main gate of our airport and is doing a beautifull job. She should look much better sitting on the flightline at Oshkosh the next time she gets there.

See you there, Doug Bell Sr.

Hi Doug
Are you still making the tailwheel? I would like to order one if you are still man ufacturing them.
I sent my name and address a while back to get on your list.

Steve Edwards
3031 20 road
Fowler, Ks. 67844

Tailwheel Fork Order

Per your request please put me on your list for the tailwheel

Name: Randy Difani
Shipping address: 175 Calico Lane, Indialantic, Fl 32903
email address : [email protected]
phone number 321-777-6574
Rv-6
Flying
Finish desired- Gloss Black

Thanks

AFulmer said:
Just received my Bell fork and it is a work of art! This kind of addition makes me smile.

Just for the heck of it I weighed the standard Van's tailwheel parts replaced by the new fork:

Bell fork, axel, nut, spacers, 1/2" locknut weighed in at 24.7 oz.
Van's parts replaced weighed in at 17.1 oz. so Bell fork adds approx. 1/2 lb. way in the back.

Doug

That got me thinking and I was wondering is the fork is hollow tube as it appears to be. If that is the case would it be possible to fill with lead shot/epoxy mix during assembly? That would seem to be just the ticket for an RV-8 with an angle valve up front (like mine).

BELL Tailwheel Fork info.

Wade
The fork is solid steel, as is the spindle (post) It is tough to bend accurately but that is why I have two sons and a bending fixture. We made it to Oshkosh Sat.AM after reassembly of Doug's -8 following painting. The place looked pretty bare.
Doug Sr.

SEGA tailwheels

SNIP just for the heck of it I weighed the standard Van's tailwheel parts replaced by the new fork:

Bell fork, axle, nut, spacers, 1/2" locknut weighed in at 24.7 oz.
SNIP

FWIW, the Screaming Eagle graphics and accessories (SEGA) tailwheel fork weighs 17.4 oz including the axle bolt, nut, and washers included. Virtually the same weight as the Van's unit.

My fork will also accept a Van's tailwheel pant and still retain it's ability to full swivel. One Rocket builder reported several mph (he says 5mph) speed increase with this setup.

I've shipped over 90 forks all over the world. I've got a new batch of 50 ready to go, so there is little or no delay in receiving your tailwheel. All parts are CNC machined from 4130 steel, TIG welded, and of top quality throughout. I you don't like it, I refund your money. 'nuf said.

Take a look: www.vincesrocket.com/products.htm
Thanks

Vince Frazier
Screaming Eagle Graphics and Accessories, LLC
3965 Caborn Road
Mount Vernon, IN 47620
812-464-1839
http://vincesrocket.com/products.htm

P.S. I also produce vinyl graphics for your airplane, car, doghouse, etc.
http://www.vincesrocket.com/graphics.htm

and if that's not enough, I also offer building assistance for your RV or Rocket. From sub-assemblies to a complete airplane. Just call.

Last edited:
Bell Tailwheel fork update

Fellow Builders,
Many of you have sent me emails that I owe you reply's too. I will get them to you this week. Between an incredible busy summer at the golf resort that I run and taking my 8 apart to polish and paint it...then reassembly to make it in time for Dad to ride backseat to Oshkosh....I have failed in getting responses to many of you.
I will do better and I will get bakc to each of you.

Dad assisted me with the taske apart and reassembly and betwee nthat and the hot summer here...he has not been in his shop making forks since his batch of 26 went out the 2nd week of June.
He will fire up again soon...

What happened to the cool northern summers.....not this yr.

Doug

Aviation Products Tailwheel

I have recently replaced my Van's tail-wheel with one from Aviation Products and it works and looks great. It was part number 6134, 6" Double Fork, with a 15 degree angle block reamed for the Vans tail spring. I simply blocked up the tail, removed the old tail wheel, drove the new tail-wheel onto the spring (tight fit) and adjusted it very carefully to make certain that it was straight up & down before drilling a hole for a new bolt to hold it on. The job only took an hour or so and it was so easy even a cave man could do it. The cost of the new Tail Wheel including shipping was $257.95.

Tail Wheel

Doug,

I'd love to be added to your list for a tail wheel. I'll be flying in about a month but can replace wheel at anytime. Thanks for your work.

Bill Savage
RV-8 #2

403 Albert Dr
Goldsboro, NC 27530
email - [email protected]

Last edited:
Add me to the list of satisfied Aviation Products tailwheel users. Replaced the full-swivel Van's model on my RV-4. Much more ground clearance and handles like a dream. Already have about 15 hours on mine now. :D

Bell Tailwheel help question?

I am trying to find a few builders who placed orders a long time ago and cannot seem to get through to them with the last emails I have on file after several attempts over months.

Would any of you know a contact phone or email for the following people?

Dwight Fry who was or is building a 7

Ben Davis who is from Australia and had an email at Saber Aerospace.
I cannot get his email through or fins the company on the web

Thanks for your help in advance.

Dad is back in production and I think I have communicated with everyone that has emailed me over the last week. about getting on the list.

The original list is getting cleaned up and I have emailed most of you as well. If you have not heard from me you will soon.
Doug

Uk Improvement

Gents just a minor improvement to tail wheel fork vertical shaft greasing that we have done in the UK. We have machined a tiny grove on the shaft vertically starting under the grease nipple and down to about 1/8 of an inch up from the bottom of the of the machined shaft. This groove is aligned with the wheel straight back. This means that when we greese the vertical swivel, we just pull the aircraft forward to line up the groove apply the grease gun and the grease travels all the way down the bearing and does not grease just the top of the shaft. Since we have used this mod we have had no stiff stearing.

rv8or
Flying RV6
working on RV8 Fuse

Last edited:
Tailwheel fork request

Ken,
Can you please send me an email at my wokr address
[email protected]
I will then have a record of it in my email file.
Send me your shipping address and phone
I will reply and confirm
Thanks
Doug

You Get What You Pay For

Doug,

I received the Bell fork yesterday and installed it this morning. I am truly impressed with its high quality. I feel better about the enhanced ground clearance and the Bell's additional weight compared to Van's stock fork is a welcomed bonus because in my case it will contribute to a slightly improved CG given the engine/prop fitted to my -8. While "adequate" and affordable, the stock Van's tailwheel fork simply pales in a side by side comparison.

The check is in the mail!

Thanks again. The wait was worth it.

Last edited:
Ditto

I received my tailwheel last week. It truly is well engineered and executed.

Thanks

Michael Wynn
RV 8 FWF
San Ramon, CA

Still deliverable?

Hi RV'ers,

Does anybody know if Doug sr. still produces and if Doug jr. still delivers the tailwheel?
I have send them a few emails, but I did not receive an answer yet.

Kind regards,
Duncan

Been wondering about them myself. I have been on the list for a very long time and had not heard anything lately. I'm not flying yet so haven't needed it but sure hope I can get one while they are still being made.

Greg

Hi RV'ers,

Does anybody know if Doug sr. still produces and if Doug jr. still delivers the tailwheel?
I have send them a few emails, but I did not receive an answer yet.

Kind regards,
Duncan

Duncan, I don't know if you're a member of the yahoo rv-8 group but the last post for Doug Jr. I've seen was on 8/10/08 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RV-8/message/7261
Good luck.

One more satisfied customer

I installed my Bell tail wheel fork a couple of weeks ago and the trip to south Dakota was my first experience with it. During the trip I made 5 takeoffs and landings, including 2 landings and a takeoff in terrible cross winds. In all conditions the Bell tail wheel fork operated beautifully. It felt solid in taxi, and seemed more solid once in a three point stance after landing.

I'm not sure why it's better - the detent system is the same as Van's. Maybe the geometry is a little better somehow so it is more stable.

Bells here and well

Duncan,
I owe about 8 emails and after getting a few work issues caught up all will be answered that I have.
Just returned from a family vaca in Canada....I'll be in touch with all soon.
Dad is getting back at it as the temps have cooled off.
Emails flowing soon.
Doug jr.

No rush intended...

Hello Doug,

Thank you for your reply. Good to see that you both are still in business and able to provide us (me) with the tailwheel setup. I will await your reaction by email. I hope you enjoyed your Canada vacation.

@Bubblehead and Steve: Thanx for your message. Last weekend I have seen the tailwheel in real live, it sure looks good and I like the additional ground clearance.
It was on the beautiful RV8 in which I enjoyed my first spectacular RV8 flight!! Thanx again for that Andy and Ellie...

Tail Wheel status?

Doug Jr,

Just wondering on the status of orders. I've been waiting for approx 6-7 months on a tail wheel. I'm hoping I didn't get dropped out of the list somehow or are there just a bunch in front of me? Please, don't take this as a complaint, it's not, just following up. I'm about to move out to a grass strip and would love to have the extra clearance before I get out there. Thank you.

Bill Savage
RV-8
[email protected]

Back