What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Accelerated Schedule Near End of Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandrews

Well Known Member
Getting down to the meat and potatoes on my build. Working on wiring now. Stein wired panel will be here this week. Engine being assembled and is a few weeks out. I have the prop and basically all essential items on hand. Finishing up cabin top and door fiberglass work to start priming soon.

My work is pretty seasonal with busy season starting in October. I am able to work on the project full time for the next month and a half. I am fortunate to have a hangar sized shop at my house to fully assemble,rig, test before disassembling and moving to the hangar.

Any tips on making a final hard core push to get finished/close come mid October? I have my N registration number reserved and paperwork is in to make it official.

Any RVers want to make a trip to CO and help out with final push?;)

Thanks

Well, don't push too hard or overextend yourself.

I don't know you so none of this may apply. After almost 5 years, paint and 'everything', I trucked the 'finished' pieces from my hangar home to a nearby airport with a long, smooth runway for final assembly and all. I commuted there 7 days a week for a couple of weeks, months....

1 knee surgery and 8 weeks of work I didn't see coming, I flew. The end takes a lot longer than the rest. At least that was my experience.

GOOD LUCK!

Seth,

Glad to hear you're moving so quickly on your build. Sounds like you are doing a good job of staying ahead of your project too. We'll see about getting you into the Chapter Hangar, so you can complete your 10.

Bill

I note with interest your decision to move the -10 from a hangar home to a facility with a good runway.

This will be hard when it comes time to fly my -10, in about fifty years. But I keep telling myself the 2100 feet of turf here are no place for first-flight heroics. I should listen to that voice, and to your example.

Thread hijack over///

I'm in that "final push" stage right now. No way I could do it at home, thanks to needing to do engine runs, compass calibrations etc.

One bit of advice I would give is to commit to the project. Get buy-in from your family that this will be your main job and that their job is to support you. That counts for a huge amount of extra time on the airplane when you're not having to work on the 'honey-do' list or split your time between airplane building and home renovations.

Also, if you take your project to the airport, take EVERYTHING with you, including ALL your tools. There is nothing more frustrating than having to postpone finishing something so you can drive home and get that one tool you left at home.

In March we did a 2-week push on our airplane. A friend volunteered to help me. (Yeah, what kind of a friend takes two weeks of his precious vacation to help a buddy build an airplane? A darned good friend, that's for sure!) We worked at it 12 hours a day for 12 days. Unfortunately I had to take a couple of days off to look after urgent family matters. In the end we got more done in two weeks than I would have accomplished in several months working evenings and weekends and working alone. I am forever grateful to my friend for his help, and for both of us having been able to put such concentrated effort into the build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back