What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HC-C2YR-1BF/F7666(A) Used Prop

TCONROY

Well Known Member
HC-C2YK-1BF/F7666A-2 Used Prop

I found a prop off of a Mooney at a reputable prop shop. They told me a lot of RV builders have used these props. It is a C2YK-1BF with F7666A-2 blades. TT on the pop is unknown. TTSMO is 863 hrs. The hub is affected by the Service Bulletin 61-269 which requires inspection every 100 hours. Prop shop said they would throw in the first several inspections. I'm curious if anyone else has used this hub/blade combo with an IO-360 and if there were any limitations? Any issues with the spinner from Van's? Just trying to figure out if this is something we should consider over a new one from Van's.
I have a copy of the inspection/measurement sheet. It measures 74.78" long...I wonder if it can be cut down to 72" for the -7...?

Last edited:
I found a prop off of a Mooney at a reputable prop shop. They told me a lot of RV builders have used these props. It is a C2YK-1BF with F7666A-2 blades.
I have a copy of the inspection/measurement sheet. It measures 74.78" long...I wonder if it can be cut down to 72" for the -7...?

IIRC, F7666A blades are 76 inches
F7666A-2 blades are 74 inches, and
F7666A-4 blades are 72 inches.

I'm sure the prop shop will know for sure.

Good prop

I know of a couple of RV's with that combination. It is a very good prop. I used to own a Mooney with the same prop. The inspection for the AD is very simple and can be done with the prop one the plane. It takes about 20 minutes and my local shop only charges about $80 to do it. My local IA says the inspection is due to problems with planes that were flown beyond limits (routine overspeed) and has not seen anyone fail the inspection. My prop shop confirms they have not seen a problem either.

My RV4 will have the same prop. The one with the AD is the "A" hub. The same prop is available with a "B" hub which gets rid of the AD. The blades are the same. If you are concerned, spend a bit more and get the B hub. I have seen no problem and will fly the A hub model.

My RV4 will have the same prop. The one with the AD is the "A" hub. The same prop is available with a "B" hub which gets rid of the AD. The blades are the same. If you are concerned, spend a bit more and get the B hub. I have seen no problem and will fly the A hub model.

Just to clarify a bit, the Non suffix or 'E' hub requires repetitive eddy current inspections, the 'A' suffix hub requires replacement at time/hours.

I have that prop on my rv7.. 74 inch too. Great prop and smooth. It does have a rpm restriction, I believe between 2000 - 2350. Restriction is not an issue, I typically cruise at 2400.

Thanks for the all the comments! After talking with Hartzell and a few other builders, we are going with the new BA prop design from Van's.

Back