What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Before the next flight

David Paule

Well Known Member
After you've flown your plane, and you're planning to fly again that day, do you do another full preflight inspection? Or if just an abbreviated inspection, what do you check?

Suppose that you spent an hour on the ground with the plane in sight. Perhaps refueling, perhaps visiting a buddy at a different airport.

And how about the run-up? Do you do a full run-up the next time, with the engine still warm?

I'm asking about normal operation - well out of the test stage.

Thanks!
Dave

I always do a brief walk around, check the belly for any abnormal oil and check the intakes for obstructions. I do a full runup except for cycling the
prop if the engine oil is still warm.

If you do a good post flight, you shouldn't need a preflight if you are going right back out in short order.....

Same as Gasman though always....ALWAYS!!!!!!! ALWAYS.....do a visual check on fuel levels in the tanks. Some time ago I read of two aircraft that had been refueled the previous night, then hangared overnight. Pilots returned the next morning and without checking fuel levels took off and both speared in with engine stoppage on take-off. Someone had drained them overnight!

Greg RV-7A:)

Same as Gasman though always....ALWAYS!!!!!!! ALWAYS.....do a visual check on fuel levels in the tanks. Some time ago I read of two aircraft that had been refueled the previous night, then hangared overnight. Pilots returned the next morning and without checking fuel levels took off and both speared in with engine stoppage on take-off. Someone had drained them overnight!

Greg RV-7A:)

Overnight, yes, I would check fuel. But not after a burger stop............

Here's what I do:

A walk around to check for fluid-leaks, damages, tire-pressure and "things" not belonging there. (towbar used for parking maybe? chocks used? intakes clear? etc)

And I ALWAYS check both oil and fuel-levels.
Oil because there's no oil-quantity gage, and fuel because I want to confirm the fuelgages.

From the point of getting in the plane: I go through ALL checklists (for example full runup)

Ditto

Check oil level, brief walk around making sure no one ran into it, then full check list run up

Yup, Pretty much the same. If I get fuel I try to remember to check for water. Sometimes I forget which is potentially dangerous.:(

Before the next flight of the day.

Before the next flight of the day

This is my routine, as done today.

Walk around
Tires
Fuel tank vents
Pitot
Prop
Belly check for oil
Fuel sump check if re-fueled
Oil dipstick check
Run up
All instruments operational and reporting as appropriate
Take - off

Notes:
Use checklists in what ever form works for you, paper, flow, electronic, etc.

It's easier to deal with a problem on the ground, although must be identified

One other thing that I check before every flight, and not listed in previous posts, are the exhaust brackets. I typically will wiggle the exhaust coming out of the cowl to check for security. Then use a flash light to look up at them. Also use this opportunity to check for oil drips inside the lower cowl.
In my first 100 hours I seem to brake one of the brackets every 20 hours. Very rare now that I have a better set-up but still like to know the exhaust is not wiggling around.

Back