What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2nd Class Medical - when is it needed?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
The recent 3rd class medical thread got me to thinking about this. When is a 2nd Class Medical really required?

When I first got my Commercial Certificate about 6 years ago, I renewed my Medical as a 2nd Class - just sort of planning for a future "just in case".

A few years back, my AME discovered a medical condition that required an annual review (i.e my medical was issued with a 1 year expiration). Since I was going for a medical every year, I kept renewing at the 2nd Class level.

The 1 year restriction was removed during my last renewal, so now I'm back to a normal 2nd Class for my age (good for 1 yr as a 2nd + 1 yr as a 3rd).

So back to my question at the beginning. What kind of operations require pilots to have a 2nd class medical?

The recent 3rd class medical thread got me to thinking about this. When is a 2nd Class Medical really required?

When I first got my Commercial Certificate about 6 years ago, I renewed my Medical as a 2nd Class - just sort of planning for a future "just in case".

A few years back, my AME discovered a medical condition that required an annual review (i.e my medical was issued with a 1 year expiration). Since I was going for a medical every year, I kept renewing at the 2nd Class level.

The 1 year restriction was removed during my last renewal, so now I'm back to a normal 2nd Class for my age (good for 1 yr as a 2nd + 1 yr as a 3rd).

So back to my question at the beginning. What kind of operations require pilots to have a 2nd class medical?

You need a 2nd class if you're getting paid to fly.- Excercising the priveleges of your commercial certificate.

Otherwsie your 3rd is good to go.

DB

CFI medicals

2nd class medical isn't required for a CFI. Yes, you can still get paid.

Yes, with some important restrictions. As stated in the AOPA article, "You are a teacher, not a pilot" in this case. Simply, that means no primary instruction, the pilot receiving the instruction has to be qualified to fly the airplane. And, you cannot act as a safety pilot in IMC or with the PIC under the hood, because that makes you a "required crewmember."

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Thats if you..

That's if you are instructing with no medical.

Sec. 61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration.
A third-class medical certificate: a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon)...

That's if you are instructing with no medical.

Sec. 61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration.
A third-class medical certificate: a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon)...

100% correct! :)

Back