What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 on floats!

awilson

I know this will bring up a lot of opinions but how about a 12 on Zenith aluminum floats? I know this will bring a lot of comments.

The RV-12 on floats would fly fine, probably although the Ercoupe did not work out on floats, like all low wing aircraft on floats it would have docking issues.

Best regards,
Vern

That oughta...

Float yer boat, er, Airplane, er,

Flying Boat, and most hopefully Floating Airplane.

It should be alot of fun!:cool:

Baumann 1500A Amphibious Floats

Baumann 1500A Amphibious Floats are designed for the light sport market. We sell these for the Carbon Cub.

Other than docking a low wing aircraft just looks better on floats than a high wing. I say build it.

With an exclamation mark in the thread title one expects to see pictures! Not questions!

Where are the pictures?!? Inquiring minds want to see cool stuff.

Mark

Maybe a set of floats could be added to Jetguy's line of RV12 accessories? I was also wondering what that line hooked to the -9 was for?

What you are seeing is a tail tie down line that most float planes in Alaska have. It makes it a bit easier to more quickly move the plane around on the water. There are very few docks in alaska. Mostly we simply beach the plane. I have a step mounted forward of the wing that makes getting off the front of the wing easy. Only real drawback so far is when it is raining which seems to happen a lot up here. At least with the slider the panel does not catch any rain like a tip up might. I am very happy with the performance. It gets on the step about like a Cub and will get airborne in around 7 to 10 seconds. At nearly 145 mph at 70% it will run circles around any other float plane up here.

Docks are optional

Just dock it at the far end of the dock where no one needs to get past the wing, or nose dock it, or beach it. There's been many successful low wing float planes.
Bevan

The only low wingers I've seen in my 12 years flying floats professionally in WA and the BC coast were a couple Twin Beech floaters in Campbell River. They always had a line guy to help them dock at home base. Low wing seaplanes are a cute novelty but depending on where one might want to fly, may not be practical.

Edited to add that I'm not trying to fan the flames of creativity, but to add some perspective from someone who's been in the game for a little while.

Last edited:
Could be it's a tie down line Pierre, or maybe a sophisticated trim tab? Nice looking airplane tho.
Dick Seiders

oops! missed page 2

Last edited:
Back