What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When do I put my interior in?

cjensen

Well Known Member
I did a few searches, and all turned up 500 results...sorry if this has been asked before...

What that said, the question is a simple one-

When should I put my interior in? I'm planning a first engine start in April, and I think I'm closer than I think I am to flying this thing...if that makes any sense. So when did you put yours in?

Sorry...shoulda mentioned in the first post that I have a Flightline Interior from Abby...nice, but it doesn't install in a 1/2 hour. ;)

Wait...

Chad,

As you get closer and closer to the first engine start, you'll find yourself under your panel, trying to get to radio equipment or sensors or cable supports or fuel lines or pitot/static tubes or ???. The easiest way to get under the panel is to lie on your back with your feet in the baggage area and your head up under the panel area. The only way to get your feet into the baggage area is with the seat backs removed!

Also, you'll find that a lot of adjustments to control linkages, and electrical and radio connection are probably happening under the seat pans. Seat pans are best left in position but not screwed down. You're just going to unscrew them and remove them over and over as you figure out controls, install the aileron trim or wing leveler servo, tidy up wire runs, and install antennas.

Throw a couple of old boat cushions or crappy pillows into the seats to keep it comfortable while you're sitting in your plane and making funny airplane noises. But don't install your interior until there is NOTHING ELSE TO DO!

(This is all based on my experience - I installed and removed seat pans and backs too many times!):rolleyes:

Chad,

Put it in sometime in the future:rolleyes: (I still haven't put anything in beyond seat cushions...). Like Scott says, you'll be in and out and around a lot before you're really ready to have a nice interior.

greg

Cover the seat pan

Make sure that you cut a couple of pieces of 1/4" or so, plywood to stand on. Don't climb in on the seat pans without the plywood as it can be dented. It still works but looks bad after it gets bent. The plywood needs to fit nicely on the floor pan where your fanny sits.

Standing on the spar is no big deal.

WEEEEELLLLL I am not too sure if putting off fitting the interior is such a good idea. Why?, do you ask, well I am not sure about that either, but we have all worked to an end, and we all want to get there. If we put the interior in and then pull it out again, what have we lost, nothing, in my opinion, we have gained enjoyment from seeing our airplane the way we imagine it. A couple of hour work? Phuut! in the great scheme of things this is nothing.
I guess this is comming from a guy that, has so far, spent twice the amount of time building as what he thought in the first place. That is, I have so far spent 5 years building, when my budget was 2 1/2 years and I think (No, I know) I have at least another year to go!:mad::p:p:)
Not sure what face to use

Avoid the wear-and tear.....

..by only using the bare minimum that you need....the pilot's side seat bottom and a back rest, for the first start and flight.

We had an expensive Classic Aero interior and putting it in and out can scratch and/or tear it so we left well enough alone and only after a few early flights did the side panels and baggage area get installed.

Best,

I'm actually considering finding some seat cushions on the cheap to use for early stuff, and just keep the nice seats bagged until hour 41 or so.

Thanks for the replies guys...I'm thinking maybe I'll just put in the material that covers sidewalls that are part of the skin, i.e...no covers to be removed, and perhaps the baggage bulkhead covers. Hmmm...

Monday is trash day in my neighborhood... the day I look for old chairs that have been put by the side of the road. I grab the cushions and use them while I'm working on the panel.

I'm not planning to install the interior -- other than the firewall soundproofing -- until she's ready to fly.

Put in the pilot seat for first engine start.
Put the whole kit in for weight and balance.
Remove everything for the DAR visit.
Re-install everything and enjoy.

Back