What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak Screw with Loctite

gvgoff99

Well Known Member
TruTrak Servos older than 2 yrs? Please Read

I am re-posting this as it is a significant safety issue. The original post had about 900+ readers which probably did not get the message to all the guys with older TruTrak servos. The screws to which the TruTrak Tech is referring are the two gold colored flush Allen Head screws that are next to the safety wired screws in the picture. The safety wired screws were my solution to this safety issue. The threadlocker (Loctite) solution is what TT now uses to keep the Allen screws in place.

I am interested in making sure this message gets out to everyone with the older TT servos so people make sure these Allen screws are fixed in place. If the Allen screws back out (it has happened) the servo falls apart. During flight this could easily jam your ability to control the plane.

This was an issue on servos that were manufactured several years ago. We now apply threadlocker to those gearbox screws so that the vibrations cannot work them loose. We have had no trouble (that we know of) with the servos that have the threadlocker on them.

If anyone is having this issue on a recently (within the last 2 years or so) servo, please let me know.

3011p5i.jpg

Last edited:
Would it make sense to put a larger washer under the safety wired screws preventing the allen screws from backing out?

Washers

One could put washers to cover the Allen screws. TT is OK with a threadlocker.

The safety wired screws will hold the servo together even if the Allens back out. If you click on the small arrow beside TrutrakTech it will take you to the original post which tells what hardware I used to safety wire the servos.

You could also just make sure that the threadlocker has been used on your servo.

I want all the guys to know that this is a significant safety issue and to be sure that their servos are not susceptible to falling apart due to vibration that backs out the Allen screws.

The TT AP is an excellent AP and their response to this issue is appreciated.

Back