What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Propeller

Rodolfo Dantas

I'm New Here
Hi everyone, my name is Rodolfo Dantas, i am a Brazillian which is building a RV10 in Brazil. For this reason, i would like to know which is the best suitable option for the light plane because i am wondering about two blades or three blades. So, wheter someone could help me about the best choice for the light plane, i will be so glad.

Its a trade off

Rodolofo

The answer to your question lies in how you value certain items.
Price: generally the 2 blade is less expensive
Performance: The 2 blade will cruise faster than most 3 blade propellers, Exactly how much is debateable, but likely somewhere between 2-9 kts. The 3 blade will climb better
Vibration: The 3 blade will operate smoother than the blades and be quieter.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Rodolfo, welcome to VAF.

Good to have you here.

As a rule, the two blade props tend to be a knot or two faster, and the three blade ones are reported as "smoother"

Hope this helps.

Welcome, Rodolfo...

...to VAF.

The three-bladed prop also makes the cowling difficult to remove/replace because you always will have two blades angled down....I have one.

Welcome,

Rodolofo

The answer to your question lies in how you value certain items.
Price: generally the 2 blade is less expensive
Performance: The 2 blade will cruise faster than most 3 blade propellers, Exactly how much is debateable, but likely somewhere between 2-9 kts. The 3 blade will climb better
Vibration: The 3 blade will operate smoother than the blades and be quieter.

There's your answer. I flew side by side with a two bladed prop, I have a three bladed and more horse-power, and the two bladed is faster. So you have to ask yourself are you flying out of hilly, high DA airports on short distances or do you want to cruise long distances faster.

How much faster do you think they were Todd?

I'm intrested in learning more about the engine setups, loading, MP vs RPM in each bird.

Thanks!
Phil

Back