What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Engine Start - What to look for

lostpilot28

Well Known Member
I'm hoping someone could look over my first engine run objectives and see if I'm missing anything. I compiled the following from the ECI Run In/Break In guide:

Run in CHT Max = 400, Oil temp max = 200
If no oil press in 30 seconds, shut down.
Hold initial RPM at 1200 until oil pressure rises, and then increase to 1800.

1. Prove that the engine will produce rated power.
2. Correct any oil, fuel, or induction leaks.
3. Check general operation of the fuel system.
4. Allow engine oil pressure to be set.
5. Provide initial stage of break-in.

Is there anything else I should be looking for before and during this critical time? I've already pumped at least 5 gallons of 100LL through each tank, flushed them, tested the rate of flow (30 gallons per hour), and cleaned the gascolator. I'm going to run my engine tomorrow and was hoping to get some feedback regarding anything I may be missing.

Thanks!

You might want to fill the oil cooler and lines, helps in getting oil pres. faster.
you will be lucky to see oil pres. in 30 sec.
An exciting day! Good luck

PS. if you have a EMS that you can retrieve your data, set it up and bring a laptop. Fun to look at later

Last edited:
I would take the spark plugs out spray a little oil in each hole then crank it over (within reason) until I see something on the oil pressure gauge. Then screw in the plugs and start. If I didn't get any rise at all I would not start it.

I said a little oil as in little otherwise big oil mist will blow out the holes. Also no spark from the other plugs or any possible fuel will cause big flame to blow out the hole, not cool at all.

Full refund on the price you paid for this idea if not happy. :D

Not necessarily "first engine run" related but if you haven't already, get 2 or 3 sets of other builder eyes to go over the engine compartment looking for anything you might have missed. As the builder, we tend to get blinders on since we've looked at things so many times.

I'm hoping someone could look over my first engine run objectives and see if I'm missing anything. I compiled the following from the ECI Run In/Break In guide:

Is there anything else I should be looking for before and during this critical time? I've already pumped at least 5 gallons of 100LL through each tank, flushed them, tested the rate of flow (30 gallons per hour), and cleaned the gascolator. I'm going to run my engine tomorrow and was hoping to get some feedback regarding anything I may be missing.

Thanks!

For my first engine run a couple of weeks ago, we did the following:
1. Filled oil filter with oil and re-installed
2. Removed top oil cooler line and filled oil cooler (made a big mess)
3. Removed spark plug from each cylinder
4. cranked engine until I got steady oil pressure
5. Re-installed plugs
6. Started engine and ran for maybe 3 to 4 minutes
7. Shut down when CHT's hit about 220 F

Might Try a Pre-Oiler

I l ike the idea of preoiling before running the starter on a fresh engine. It gets oil to everywhere it needs to go before turning the engine. I rigged this up for the freshly overhauled O-300 Cont. on my 170. The pressure pot is from mcmaster.com, and the rest of the stuff came from a local hardware store.

http://www.geocities.com/cessna170bdriver/PreOiler.jpg

Hi Sonny......

......and congratulations for arriving at this point. Since you're in Idaho, I'd sure like to see some engine preheat if at all possible. Very cold temps/oil doesn't offer much "splash" oiling of the cam lobes and cylinders.

Pre-oiling if possible....a good idea.

Regards,

If your running a constant speed prop, cycle it to a max of 400 RPM with engine at 1700. Makes sure the oil is transferred and the governor is set up correctly.

Steve
RV7A

Like everyone mentioned, pre-oiling is important. I did it by hand instead of using the starter. With the plugs removed and cylinders oiled, it is pretty easy to hand prop until there is the first indication of pressure. Then use the starter for a few seconds. On start you should have pressure immediately.

IMHO the first start should be all about pressure and leaks, not temps or power. A couple of minutes at most is all you need for the first start. We didn't even have the cowl on. Have a written check list. Makes sure you have indications on all the temp gauges and that everything seems "right." Then shut down and check for leaks. You might do a very quick low rpm mag check. If all is well, on the second start have the cowl in place and do a more extensive test. I wouldn't try for full power on first start. Make sure you have the plane tied down and have a fire extinguisher. When you go for full power, make sure the pavement in front of the plane is swept clean, no sand or gravel. No reason to get a prop nick.

Congrats on reaching this point! It won't be long now--have fun.

Bob Kelly

Muchos Gracias

Thanks fellas. This should be exciting. I'll post later on and let everyone know how it went.

:D

Update

Just want to say thanks again to all those that replied and helped with my first engine start. I used all of the information I received and had a successful engine run.

There were only 2 squawks with the engine that I need to follow up on.
- oil pressure was reading about 108 psi. It was cold outside, but I wouldn't think the pressure should be that high. I turned the oil pressure regulator out 5 full turns, so the next time I run it up, I'll see if that helps.
- there was a very slight oil leak about 2 or 3 inches long coming out of the base of the #3 cylinder (where it meets the case). I plan on calling ECI about that tomorrow and getting their opinion.

I was rather surprised at the amount of data that a person needs to take in during those first few minutes. With everything going on, I initially forgot to turn on my P-Mags so the engine didn't start (I guess that was a successful test of the P-mags not running when they're in the "off" mode). Then I managed to overlook the fuel selector lever being set to off. :rolleyes:

Aside from that, everything went great!

I was rather surprised at the amount of data that a person needs to take in during those first few minutes. With everything going on, I initially forgot to turn on my P-Mags so the engine didn't start (I guess that was a successful test of the P-mags not running when they're in the "off" mode). Then I managed to overlook the fuel selector lever being set to off. :rolleyes:

Aside from that, everything went great!

Ah, the checklist! Don't assume that all this will all become second nature. I still use one every time and my favorite CFI uses one before he even leaves his house. A handwritten checklist for every start and through the Phase One testing is a very good idea.

Bob Kelly

Hi Bob,
Yep, I knew that, too! It's been too long since I've flown, so I need to get back into the habit again. I'm creating my checklists, now. ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about the high oil pressure until you get your oil up to operating temp (180 or so). Mine was high and I had to back my nut out too, but it comes down nicely when the oil warms up. You'll want to see in the 75 psi range when the oil is hot.

Scott

If you have covers on Vac or Gov pads they tend want to seep. Check them once again for tight before flight.

Thanks!

DON'T FORGET TO HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER HANDY
Halon or other non-corrosive type for oil/fuel fires.
99.99% chance that you will not need it. If you do let it burn until the prop stops! No need to have one disaster turn into another with a turning prop and lots of excitement. Brief the "fireman" to WAIT until the prop stops and you watch him. Have him be designated to tell you to stop the engine. Brief how he will tell you ie: thumb up to keep running and crossed arms over the head to STOP are possible signals (or the old cut sign across the neck). Just be clear on the signals.

Here's a couple of other suggestions:

1) Keep your initial ground run to less than 3 minutes.
2) Install your cowlings. The engine will not cool properly with cowlings removed for ground running.
3) Tie your tail ring to the hangar door or tie-down. You haven't burnt-in your brakes yet!
4) Don't run at full power on the first run until you've stripped the cowlings and checked for leaks
5) Check ECI's break-in procedures http://www.eci.aero/pdf/BreakInInstructions.pdf

Vern

Back