What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VS Fairing Fit Problem

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
So I'm working on my Emp tip fairings and all fit reasonably well except the VS. There is a considerable gap at the forward edge between the fairing and the VS. For some reason the fairing's shape does not match the cross section of the VS so it won't seat far enough forward to match the leading edge of the VS -- does that make sense (I don't have a pic). IOW, when the fairing is in-place its leading edge is sitting about 1/8" behind that of the VS (the rear edges of the fairing and VS are flush). I can fix it by building up the leading edge of the fairing with Micro to match the VS, but that's a lot of extra work. Did anyone else run into this problem? Do I need some cheese with my whine? ;)

Sounds like you just needed to 'talk to someone'.....you've answered your own question quite well :rolleyes:.

Vans new kits and plans are awesome.....yes.... a pound or two of cheese would serve you well :).

Press on.

So I'm working on my Emp tip fairings and all fit reasonably well except the VS. There is a considerable gap at the forward edge between the fairing and the VS. For some reason the fairing's shape does not match the cross section of the VS so it won't seat far enough forward to match the leading edge of the VS -- does that make sense (I don't have a pic). IOW, when the fairing is in-place its leading edge is sitting about 1/8" behind that of the VS (the rear edges of the fairing and VS are flush). I can fix it by building up the leading edge of the fairing with Micro to match the VS, but that's a lot of extra work. Did anyone else run into this problem? Do I need some cheese with my whine? ;)

[/QUOTE]I can fix it by building up the leading edge of the fairing with Micro to match the VS, but that's a lot of extra work. Did anyone else run into this problem? Do I need some cheese with my whine? ;)[/QUOTE]

I don't want to rain on your parade, but when you deal with the fiberglass components of the -10 kit, you will find that the 'extra' work is actually 'required' work. As Rick Said Press On !

I know, Rick was right in that I just sort of felt like venting, that plus it's dead here at the Pentagon and I'm really bored. I was also sort of hoping that the obvious solution was in fact the hard way to do it and that there was a better/easy way knowing in my heart-of-hearts what the answer already was. The real problem is procrastination has set in. I've been at this point for over a month now and every so often I walk down to the shop and look at the fairing clecoed to the VS and find any excuse not to pick the sandpaper to start taking down the gelcoat. I just need to get off my butt and do it. Thanks for listening, urrr, reading.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Todd just wait to you get to landing gear fairings. I ended up buying new ones.
Years ago (20) I solved the slow days of December at the Pentagon by playing racquet ball at the POAC.

Back