What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak roll servo installation in RV-9's

N523RV

Well Known Member
To all RV-9 builders planning on installing a Trutrak autopilot.... and a few flyers I suppose as well. The installation of the roll servo is different for the RV-9's than the RV-7's. The drawings that I was suplied with were for the RV7/10 and I didn't know any different. I had a few leftover parts. While looking at pictures of servo installs to see how the washers are supposed to be used, I saw the correct installation for RV-9's... and also found the RV-9 installation drawings on the TT website. Don't make the same mistake I did.

RV-9 Roll Servo Installation Drawings

Here is a picture of how it is supposed to look, courtesy of Bret Smith:

061210.jpg

PS - The large washers go on the outside of the rod-end bearings, as seen in the above picture.

Hello, Matthew

It seems to me that the turn buckle at the bottom of the picture should have an additional large washer. One on each side to keep a failed center from allowing the linkage to slip out of position.
The top center bolt should have a small washer under the nut.

I realize that all the hardware in the pic has not been tightened down yet, but if the bolts don't show threads when tightened, then you will need longer bolts.

Good luck.

Kent

I could see where that if the bearing failed, the pushrod could flop up and down but it would not come entirely loose. Still.. probably not a bad idea to add a second washer.

Once I complete my install, I'll post a picture.

It seems to me that the turn buckle at the bottom of the picture should have an additional large washer. One on each side to keep a failed center from allowing the linkage to slip out of position.
The top center bolt should have a small washer under the nut.

I realize that all the hardware in the pic has not been tightened down yet, but if the bolts don't show threads when tightened, then you will need longer bolts.

Good luck.

Kent

Cut me some slack...

Kent,

In the picture I had only loose-assembled the brackets. I had to call TT as well when I tried to work from the wrong drawing. I also had to call them about a missing dimension on the pitch servo bracket instructions... but that's another post.

Bret, consider your slack cut....

Kent,

In the picture I had only loose-assembled the brackets. I had to call TT as well when I tried to work from the wrong drawing. I also had to call them about a missing dimension on the pitch servo bracket instructions... but that's another post.

I noticed that it was not completely tightened down, but I could not tell if some of the bolts were tight and some were not. Therefore the warning about threads showing. Only trying to help those that need it.

If you don't need it, just ignore me. Most people do.:confused:

Kent

Back