What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What would you do? 2 year medical loss with finished RV-7 in between.

BruceW

Well Known Member
What would you do? 2 year medical loss with finished RV-7 in between.

Curious what others would do. Should my RV-7 project get flown when it?s ready, or wait another year until my temp medical loss is over? The -7 is due for completion sometime in the fall of this year, assuming the same pace. But I got a flight medical issue that the fine experts at EAA say will delay my Class 3 clearance until fall of 2009.

One side of me says, let someone else fly it first time when it?s ready this fall, and do some dual flying during the test period. Then when phase 1 is done, just fly with another pilot as PIC (or logable dual with an instructor) until my medical clears.

On the other hand, first flight is really important to me and I hate the thought of not having the experience. (I have done a first flight in the past on a restoration project) So I could be tough and finish the plane, keep it maintained, but not do first flight until a year later. (I could stretch out the construction time to soften the wait.)

So given the same situation, what would you do and why?

re: stretch it out

I'd stretch out the build time & fly it myself.:)

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM
working on fuse/cabin top

I would finish it, have someone else do the test flights, then fly with another pilot as PIC. That way you still get to fly in YOUR plane and enjoy it, and share the experience with a buddy.

Just my opinion...

I'd wait and fly the first flight myself. No way would I give up that feeling after all I had sacrificed! Stretch out the build... learn to paint and paint the plane yourself... put the extra money you save into the panel or engine!

There are alot of guys flying without medicals. The only one who knows is the guy flying, unless you talk about it on the internet, or at your local FBO.

Am I missing something here?? Do the first flight WITH the test pilot. I know you can fly with "crew" during phase 1 so unless I'm wrong (distinct possibility) the 1st flight is part of phase 1 so go with??

Hope I'm right as you sound like it'd be a big disappointment not to do 1st flight.

If I'm wrong and 1st flight has to be solo I say let someone else do it so you can work through phase 1 and the inevitable squawks by the time your medical clears. Then you're free and clear to enjoy.

Best of luck

Am I missing something here?? Do the first flight WITH the test pilot. I know you can fly with "crew" during phase 1 so unless I'm wrong (distinct possibility) the 1st flight is part of phase 1 so go with??

Hope I'm right as you sound like it'd be a big disappointment not to do 1st flight.

If I'm wrong and 1st flight has to be solo I say let someone else do it so you can work through phase 1 and the inevitable squawks by the time your medical clears. Then you're free and clear to enjoy.

Best of luck
Grant,

You will have a hard time convincing the FAA that a 2nd person is a required crew member during the phase 1 on an RV. I know it has been done but our FISDO is very specific on this topic and it is not something they take lightly.

re: same thought

There are alot of guys flying without medicals. The only one who knows is the guy flying, unless you talk about it on the internet, or at your local FBO.

That's actually the same thought I had, but didn't say it for fear I'd get pounded completely into the ground. The airplane has no conscience,:) so, it'd never know.

Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geico266

That's actually the same thought I had, but didn't say it for fear I'd get pounded completely into the ground. The airplane has no conscience,:) so, it'd never know.

The airplane might not, and could care less. However, your insurance company might have another point of view.

Do it right, let someone fly the thing if you want it in the air that soon, then fly with a PIC in Phase 2. Else, just don't finish it until you get your medical back.

Great responses. I have literally had every one of these thoughts
at some point along the line. Doesnt help me decide, but at least
I know I am not alone.

I don't want to start a skirmish. The fact is however, that's bad advice that hasn't been thought through. As long as nothing bad happens, you're statement is true. If something bad happens, even something small, it will get very ugly very fast. Think pilot certificate revocation for starters. It gets worse but I will stop there lest someone proclaim fear mongering.

PIC

If I were you, I'd be striving to finish the aircraft and not worry about the medical yet. Let someone you trust do the first flight... and whenever the regulations let you, go fly!(even if you are the "passenger"). PIC has two meanings, Pilot in Command and the ever so subtle... Passenger in Command. Based on your location and pilot population... I don't know if you would have a hard time finding volunteers to go flying or not. However I'm sure there are plenty of people who could find an excuse to go flying.....
Best of Luck!
Brian Wallis

Two people on the first flight......

Dumb. A glass airplane crashed on the first flight with the engine builder/mechanic on board. I doubt that he was required. Two people dead.

Flying without a medical...also dumb.

You have two valid choices. Make a decision.

I feel your pain - what price do we put on our dreams?

Bruce,
I'm in a similar situation, albeit I have a 1 year wait. I had a 'disqualifying' event occur last Dec, and had expected to have 1st flight in Jan or Feb. After working on the project nearly full time for for 2 1/2 years. I spoke/wrote and talked with a LOT of other builders and was amazed at just how many people had gone through their own medical situations and had come through them successfully. I found that support extremely encouraging. I received much of the same advise that you're getting now. Initially, my plan was to finish the project asap and find/hire someone to do the phase 1 and then fly with another pilot aboard until the 12 months expired. That idea was a BIG help to me in getting over the disappointment and the shock of the whole situation. However, I found that my work/progress was slowing and I was putting less effort into the project than previously, after a couple of months, I began to assess what was going on, and I finally had to admit to myself that I was really struggling with not being able to make the 1st flight, and to complete the Phase 1 myself. I know that some will say this is a foolish position to take, and that allowing another RV qualified pilot to do the initial flight and the Phase 1 might even be considered a wise move. HOWEVER, this is the 3rd homebuilt project for me, but the 1st that I will complete. The other 2 got sold when the realities of family, career, and community conspired to end those efforts. I determined then, that Homebuilding an aircraft was a dream that would wait until the family was raised, and I was retired. I didn't stop flying, just postponed the dream. For 20 years I'd go to bed at night and fall asleep thinking about the day when I'd make the 1st flight in my homebuilt aircraft Once I retired the 1st thing I did (nearly) was to determine which plane I'd build and order the kit. I went slo build not so much because of $'s but because I wanted the ego gratification of saying "I built the whole thing" and in making the dream as big as possible. So 4 months past the 'event' My emotions are a bit calmer, and I'm 1/3 of the way through the 'wait' and I decided that I had waited 20 years for the Dream and that another 8 months wouldn't be the end of the world. I still get a bit 'antsy' when I read/hear about another builder that had been tracking close to my progress making their 1st flight, But, I can truthfully say, that while my progress has slowed (no/less pressure now), I'm enjoying the time I spend on the project MUCH more, AND I've got the 'luxury' of being able to check/double check/ plan/ double plan/ Write test plans, etc. that I may have been tempted to pass-by or shorten. So, In the end when you've gotten all of the input you can and you've given yourself some time you'll digest it all and decide just what works for you.

Opinions are worth...well, you know..

Nobody can tell the future. Finish the plane. Don't slow up. Something could happen that allows you to fly earlier than expected and you would be ready. :D Or something could happen that makes you want to sell. :( You would again be much more ready. I believe the phenomenon of "luck" is based on being ready to take advantage of a situation.:cool:

Good luck and keep putzing at it.

Stick with it but stay "legal" ...

I would NOT try flying without a medical. If anything goes wrong, your family will have not only your loss to deal with but a WHOLE LOT of other stuff.

I would NOT, NOT be a "passenger" or so-called "required crew" during Phase I. It is not legal and we all know that is the case. Someone has done that and there were TWO deaths. We keep doing it and soon the FAA will REQUIRE that they be there to monitor the flight and CHARGE for it.

Seems like you either need to let someone else do first flight AND Phase I or you need to schedule things so you can do it legally.

I would work as hard and as fast as I could on the project. I would "giterdone" while I had the energy and motivation and focus. (I have a project that is languishing). Now if it was all ready to fly and everything but I was NOT ready, I would wait. If the wait was going to be long I would do what made me happy to keep the engine happy ... including selling it and replacing it with another when the moment arrived. This would add another week or weekend maybe to the project and you would be able to do the flights.

There is some probability that you will not get everything done as far in advance as you think. In that case, problem solved.

James

Finish and fly it when you can

This would be a very personal choice for me but you either have a different view or you are feeling pressure not to follow your own mind and are seeking inputs. My airplane is MY AIRPLANE not just a physical collection of parts and systems. No one but me has ever flown my airplane and I can conceive of no way anyone else ever will by choice in my life time. I try to follow the rules very carefully so I would not fly it until I had a clear medical under normal circumstances. Under other circumstances I'm not sure what I might do or how I would do it but I think chances are very good that someway someday I would fly my airplane regardless of anything else.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
rules

Get it finished and get it flying. Go by the rules.
Letting someone else do the Phase I would be no biggie for me. In fact I found a young man that put 30+ hours on my new RV8 last summer. While I was at Oshkosh, in 'Shooter' . He even bought the gas!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh come on, maybe not for you but namecalling "dumb"??

Okay, as far as crew of 2 for 1st flight:

It may not be completely legal or completely justifiable by the fisdo but a second experienced person would be a huge asset on the 1st flight. We know these airframes are nearly bullit proof as far as 1st flight goes so really we're looking at systems testing. If a system acts up on the flight whats the hardest thing to do- "fly the airplane" as we're all taught, while at the same time working the problem in a high stress and very emotional situation. With a second person available there is someone to run the checklist, switches and troubleshoot while the pilot focuses solely on the #1 killer: airspeed and coordination. Set her down upright and great chance no ones hurt. Stall at low altitude while trying to restart an engine and it's over.

CRM is a huge part of the airlines safety advantage, why would it not translate here when done properly with a good plan by the right pilots. You may not agree or want this for yourself but it's certainly not dumb. Convincing the fisdo would be another matter but I can think of many ways to take advantage of the resource of a second pilot that are easily justifed.

Just remember, many things that are safe are not legal and many things that are legal are not safe.

My operating limitations say nothing about "required crew". That phrase is simply not in there. That statement has gotten passed around on the Internet as if it were fact, and it is not. Your oplims are not limited by the FAAs definition of "required crew". Don't believe me? Read your oplims.

I don't have my oplims with me, but they say nothing about phase I flights being done solo. They say that the only people allowed onboard the aircraft are those required for the purpose of the flight. Plain and simple.

However my DAR (Vic Syracuse) was very clear that Phase I was to be done with no passengers. This is apparently a common lecture all DARs are required to give and I abided by Vic's instructions.

This is simply something I do not understand. The oplims are for MY AIRPLANE, they aren't some generalized form that has clauses in there that don't really apply to my aircraft. They're my operating limitations.

Why does the FAA continue to issue operating limitations that very directly states that a passenger can be onboard if they are required to be there for the purpose of that flight, but the FSDOs tell the DARs to say otherwise? Why don't they just issue oplims that say that all Phase I must be done solo?

I just don't get it.

Before I get flamed, I'm not encouraging anyone to go out and fly their Phase I with a passenger. I just don't think it's good common sense.

Last edited:
Grant, the scenarios you point out mean that the PIC is not qualified to fly the plane. Don't let ego get in the way of wise choices. If the builder is not qualified to safely perform the first flight, there are beaucoup people who are.

Yes flying without a medical or unneeded second person is dumb. Why as a group would we want to do things that, if they go bad, could bring further restrictions on us?

If you want to use another word in place of dumb...how about irresponsible?

PS...the use of "dumb" is not name-calling. It is an accurate description of the action.

Last edited:
Say What??

Respectfully....considering this would be not only be illegal but IMO would be very wrong :eek:. If your doc didn't renew your medical there is probably a very good reason.

I would NOT try flying without a medical. If anything goes wrong, your family will have not only your loss to deal with but a WHOLE LOT of other stuff.

Seems like you either need to let someone else do first flight AND Phase I or you need to schedule things so you can do it legally.

James

Yup....what James said :).

Respectfully....considering this would be not only be illegal but IMO would be very wrong :eek:. If your doc didn't renew your medical there is probably a very good reason.

Flying without a valid medical is an option. Maybe not a very good one, but it is an option.

Legally speaking, it is against FAA regulations (FAR's), it is not "illegal" per say. The FAA does not have the power to make laws. Regulations do not carry the same weight as laws. Yes, it may be semantics, but saying it is "illegal" is overstating the situation and consequences. Clearly, the author of this thread has thought about flying without a valid medical until his is re-issued (and there are dozens of pilots reading this who do also) who fly RV so it warrants discussion so he is fully aware of the consequences if (unlikely) something goes wrong. Others reading this thread may benefit in their thinking process by weighing the comments as well.

I certainly, 100%, agree with your second statement about the Doctor, however, I've seen good pilots loose medicals for very stupid reason. It is pretty silly to allow a pilot with a 3rd class medical use his driver's license as a medical and fly sport pilot if he thinks he cannot pass a medical exam. He still has the same condition that would ground him, but the pilot has evaluated his performance and decided to fly.

I don't want to start a morality war, and I'm not trying to talk anyone into breaking FARs. The author is looking for options, and I just mentioned one that alot of people were thinking (and doing), but didn't want to say it.

JMHO.

Last edited:
Legally speaking, it is against FAA regulations (FAR's), it is not "illegal" per say. The FAA does not have the power to make laws. Regulations do not carry the same weight as laws. Yes, it may be semantics, but saying it is "illegal" is overstating the situation and consequences.

JMHO.

As one brother RV'r to another, I hope you never find yourself in front of an Administrative Law Judge. You would find it a real eye opener. :eek:

Finish it ...

... then fly it when you're ready. I can think of nothing, outside of family events, that is more personal and meaningful then that first flight. The dedication required to build an airplane isn't in everyone.

You've worked too long and hard to give up the opportunity to pilot it on its first flight. And, I can't imagine what it would be like watching someone fly off the phase 1 hours. Heck, the new plane smell would already be gone before you even get to fly in it!

Two years sounds like a long time, but slow down the build and keep "perfecting" the plane while you wait. You should have a squawk free first flight!

My situation is reversed. I'm diabetic and know that someday it will catch up to me and I will no longer be able to pilot an airplane. My diabetes is well controlled, but it is an insidious disease. So, I'm working to get my 9A done as soon as is reasonably possible. I want to fly it for as long as I'm healthy enough to do so.

Question #1- Are you married
Question#2- Does she like to fly?
Question #3- Can She get a license?
I'm 57 yo and have had a quad bypass. Third class med in effect now but can foresee the day I might lose it. Our plan is to have my wife get her license so we can keep on flying if that ever happens. Just my 2 cents worth and how we are planning ahead. Good luck.

My thoughts so far.

Answers to treeez
#1; Yes
#2; no
#3; suppose she could if she wanted to (but probably wouldn't).
Id actually want to fly more with one of my buddies. (sorry honey!)

Painting the plane was always in the plan. Not a big deal for me.

Regarding my medical deal; the fine EAA medical support folks say that the FAA will want a 2 year wait before issuing a new Class 3. Don't even apply before, they will just deny it. Funny part is, my current medical doesn't expire until end of 2008 so I could technically fly with my current medical. But the EAA folks say that I need to 'self ground' myself until the 2 years passes. One of those legal deals. Since I know or "should have known" about the 2 years then I am obligated to apply it. Just thought I'd add a fun factoid to the legal aspect of this discussion.

Regarding the thoughts passed along in this thread, thanks a bunch. My thoughts are swinging toward waiting until next year and fly it myself. It has taken 5 years so far (yeah, even with a QB, geez) why not take another year. But all the other comments on 'get it done now' are understandable.

Thanks again for all the input. The RV community is great and supportive.

That's Pretty Good By My Standards

My RV-6A QB took 8 years to complete and I'm still evolving the configuration. You have a great attitude! I liked your plan.

Bob Axsom

Okay, as far as crew of 2 for 1st flight:

It may not be completely legal or completely justifiable by the fisdo but a second experienced person would be a huge asset on the 1st flight. We know these airframes are nearly bullit proof as far as 1st flight goes so really we're looking at systems testing.

The Lancair Legacy is a nearly bullet proof airframe too. Here's what happened to a first flight in which both builders insisted on being aboard:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20070424X00449&key=1

Perhaps both "reasoned" that if something happened that caused a fatal crash then the survivor would suffer survivor guilt - and didn't want that. Except that "reasoning" tends to exclude the guilt, pain, and hardship the rest of their families must endure. But it seems unlikely that they were thinking that, since they invited family and friends:

http://www.aero-news.net/Community/DiscussTopic.cfm?TopicID=5227

Bruce, no opinions stated here, just food for thought. I chose to have an experienced test pilot fly Black Magic's first flight. He flew her four times in two days. The way I looked at it there were two first flights, the airplane's first and my first. I can tell you, the excitement level for me flying Black Magic for the first time, on the airframe's 6th. flight, was off the excitement meter. My RV grin, upon landing was just as big as it would have been had I flown the airframe's first flight. I still have the grin and I never think about not flying her for the first time.

Just another view.

Dan's on the money..

.....and does it correctly.

Finish your airplane and let an experienced pilot fly it. The first flight is not a matter of such great importance that it just absolutely, positively has to be done by you. As Dana points out, his first flight will ever be cherished. The airplane cares not and knows not which flight is first flight.

Since you're not gauranteed tomorrow, get it built. If you're around to see it fly....all the better. One of my transition trainees had an experienced pilot do the first flight and the governor oil line came loose shortly after takeoff and pumped all the oil out. The builder was in the chase plane and watched the smoke coming from his new plane!

The pilot killed the engine and landed safely, saving both himself, the engine and the airplane. The pilot's name...KAHUNA..Michael Stewart. A very wise decision by the builder.

Regards,

Another factual case

A RV owner (who did not build the plane) insisted on doing the first flight. I will leave out the specific details but he came very close to killing himself and destroying the airplane in the first few minutes of flight.

No way was he qualified to fly it the first time.

Another viewpoint...

You have received lots of good (and bad) advice.
I have made a number of first flights and it is exciting, but all the people who I know who make there own first flight after someone else has made the airplanes first flight(s), have still said it was one of the highlights of there life. I personally feel that an attitude of "I built it, I'm going to make the first flight" is very unwise. If someone has been judged qualified and properly prepared (use the flight adviser program) then by all means go for it. But doing it just because they built it...this should not be weighted very high in the decision making process. A lot of home builders have been hurt and killed because of this type of thinking. Making the first few flights of a new homebuilt is serious business, though it is often taken on far too casually.

But in the end you have to make the final decision.

My main reason for posting to this thread was the bad advise.
For a selfish reason.
Every time a homebuilder breaks the rules he is jeopardizing the unprecedented freedoms we homebuilders have in the USA. It should be apparent to all of us pilots by now that the FAA and our Government has a knee jerk reaction to pilots not following the rules. It has happened over and over...rules aren't being followed so they make more rules.

Not following the rules...or making suggestions that someone else not follow them...can have an impact on all of us, not just that particular person if they get caught.

I have a dislike for a lot of the rules also, but I try and follow them so that I don't cause any new ones.

As for the riding along on the first flight issue...It is a dumb thing to do and it is against the rules. All of the Phase 1 operating limitations that I have ever seen state that only required crew members are allowed. There is no way to justify a second person as a required crew member on an RV test flight.

Just throwing in my $.02. If it were me, I wouldn't consider breaking the rules. I would also look long and hard at how "finished" the plane should be for the first flight. If we are talking a few months, less than a year, it should be easy to put in some more time. Do the interior, paint, and really detail things out. That can add significant time to the project.

I would look into getting some nice, expensive and legal dual in a very similar aircraft. I would become totally comfortable with RV flying (that should be the case anyway!) If the first flight means a lot to you, as it did to me, a little time isn't going to do anything except make it all the better.

As an aside, I just heard of a fellow who went to get his first physical after a long layoff, something like 12 years. As he was about to start, he told the AME he was going into LSA's. The doctor told him he didn't need the medical and called the FAA to make sure. They told the doctor to write "VOID" on the already signed form and send it in. They then disallowed the applicant because he hadn't passed the exam. You don't have to fail, just fail to pass!! Terrible. He now has to jump through a bunch of expensive hoops.... Our EAA chapter has scheduled a speaker (AME) to talk about getting (and keeping) a medical.

Bob Kelly

Last edited:
The way I see it...

After spending all the money it takes to build one of these airplanes, and the amount of time invested to build it, I am not going to do anything to jeopardize being able to legally fly it in the future. I am not one to be sentimental over first flights so if faced with this situation I would finish the build and get someone I trust to fly off Phase I, so I could legally fly it with another pilot after Phase I is completed.

To borrow on the MasterCard theme:

Cost to build: $80,000.00
Time to build: 2000 hours
Getting caught flying without medical/flying against oplims and facing revocation of all PIC privileges: NOT ON YOUR LIFE!
Not even MasterCard will get you out of that one...

The EAA has a First Flight Advisor program. If any of you are planning on performing the first flight for your aircraft, check this program out. I can save your life and reduce your insurance costs.

They will cover things like recency of experience, experience in like aircraft, what the first flight should entail, options if something goes wrong. In other words, plan your flight and fly your plan.

As for the argument for against flying without a medical, some time back I received an email about some guy who had been flying a Blanca and crashed. I believe the story went that he didn't have a PPL nor a medical and since he didn't have a PPL, there was nothing the FAA could do. I don't see how that is possible but couldn't verify the story one way or the other. If it is true, I see no reason to have a license but I doubt it is true.

Just to add the "Priceless" line...

To borrow on the MasterCard theme:

Cost to build: $80,000.00
Time to build: 2000 hours

Never having to look over your shoulder: Priceless!

FWIW, when faced with self-reporting or burying a medical issue 20+ years ago (as I separated from active duty to chase flying jobs), I was briefly tempted, but decided to go the straight and narrow. As a trusted friend and mentor told me then, "you'll never have to look over your shoulder and wonder when it'll catch up". All good now, and the only time I look over my shoulder is at a wingman or if someone gets the jump on me (nah, that never happens...ahem! :)).

There's a lot of peace of mind in knowing you did it right, from start to finish. Whether you wait to fly hop #1 yourself or get another trusted pilot to do it will be an intensely personal decision. A good friend does the occasional first flight in Rockets for other builders, and it doesn't seem to take the luster off their own first launch, as some have said...but it's still a call only you can make after some reflection on all options. Good luck throughout, and good on ya for taking the group conscience...just means you're a solid guy that wants to do the right thing!

Cheers,
Bob

No license? Go to jail.

The EAA has a First Flight Advisor program. If any of you are planning on performing the first flight for your aircraft, check this program out. I can save your life and reduce your insurance costs.

They will cover things like recency of experience, experience in like aircraft, what the first flight should entail, options if something goes wrong. In other words, plan your flight and fly your plan.

As for the argument for against flying without a medical, some time back I received an email about some guy who had been flying a Blanca and crashed. I believe the story went that he didn't have a PPL nor a medical and since he didn't have a PPL, there was nothing the FAA could do. I don't see how that is possible but couldn't verify the story one way or the other. If it is true, I see no reason to have a license but I doubt it is true.

Man Receives Jail Time For Flying Without Valid Airman Certificate

In a August 5, 2005 Release, the Office of Inspector General for the Department of Transportation states that a man was sentenced to 31 days of jail time and fined $1,000 for flying an airplane without a valid airman certificate. Apparently the man "has never held a pilot?s license, but operated his privately owned and unregistered Cessna aircraft on multiple occasions between 2002 and 2004 ? a threat to aviation safety".

This is also a good example of the fact that operating an aircraft without the appropriate airman or medical certificates can not only result in civil penalties, as discussed in previous posts, but it can also result in criminal conviction and imposition of the associated penalties (e.g. jail time).

John Clark ATP, CFI
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I have done many first flights for people in this area. One of them stands out in particular. The fellow that I did a first flight for was 80 years old. He had been working on his plane for about 12 years. Nobody thought that the plane would ever fly with him in it. Well on the first flight day after a very thorough walk-a-round off I went, leaving him and a couple of his cronies behind. From what I was told he stood up on the picnic table where they were standing to get a better view. When he saw his plane become airborne apparently he threw his hat up into the air yelling and started to sing and dance a jig on top of the table. When I came back after an uneventful flight he had the big RV grin. He wore that grin right up till the day that I took him up for the first time and started to check him out on it. The grin when we came down was even bigger, I thought his face was going to break. So you see you can get much enjoyment out of seeing your project take to the air and then again when you take it, in complete safety.
And I would never take a passenger on a first flight even if it was to test out a certified aircraft after some major work. The test pilot has enough on their mind without having to think of the safety of his passenger if something should go wrong. But the decision is yours, I hope it won't be the last.

Thoughts from BruceW

Regarding my qualification for first flight, I am confident. Ive got hundreds of hours in RV-4's and RV-6's and an RV-1 that I restored. I have a pretty strict attitude about test flights as well. That "plan the flight and fly the plan" phrase works for me. More so than others I have seen in Phase 1.

The tough part about having someone else fly first is not only missing out on the first flight but the first 40 hours. I would miss out on the testing process I have been looking forward to.

All things considered, I am leaning toward waiting until the medical is clear. But I certainly have some time to change my mind.

BTW, I intend to follow the rules, even if I dont like them. Agree with others, its not worth the possible price.

Thanks again for the thoughts and comments.

It might actually be more of an emotional rush to watch the first flight then to fly it. When you are flying a new airplane you become so engrossed in the task at hand, not much brain wave bandwidth left over to whop it up during the flight. It comes rushing over you after the flight. Watching from the ground you could crack a cold one and start the celebration festivities the moment the aircraft lifts off like the 80 year old guy in the previous post.

Ideally the test flight would be flown by someone with:

(If you could have everything)

-Test pilot school
-Test flown the same type before multiple times
-Significant time in type, more than a couple hundred hours
-Significant total time, more than a couple thousand hours
-Recent experience, in type, within the last month would be nice
-Parachute, Helmet, Nomex flight suit and gloves.

And....

Flown off the Bonneville Salt Flats. Crash Fire & Rescue standing by.

Of course you can't have everything.

But, if you have (almost nothing):

-No test background
-Never tested a plane before
-PPL, haven't flown actively since 1985
-No time in type
-Last flight was a quick and dirty brush up / BFR
-Shorts, flip flops, no parachute

And....

Plan on doing the test flight off your mowed field while no one is watching.

Then change your plan.....

Do what the 80 year old guy did. (There is a reason he lived to be 80)

Last edited:
Back