What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Cap Opener...

Piper J3

Well Known Member
This works totally cool. I had been using a wooden popsicle stick to open my fuel cap. $1.50 + $1 shipping from rvplasticparts.com

Thanks for the review Jim .... that opener is on my short list of goodies to buy. Glad to hear it works well.

Happy flying,

I ordered 10 of them from rvplasticparts.com. Gave away 8 of them to my RV buddies. They work great..

Gary

Fuel Cap Opener

The twist off and discard orange plastic lever included with the HP printer ink cartridge works fine for me, has hook on horn end to catch cap lever. Carry on the start key chain.
Norm

Norm, Can you post a picture of the HP plastic lever?
I would if I could. but don't have that tech savvy! I use the 564 cartridges, lever measures about 5/16" x 9/16" x 2-3/8" with the colored inks, black ink lever is about 5/8" wide. I Drilled a 1/4" hole through side of the wide end for key ring. Hope this helps.
Norm

I use the stubby flat blade screwdriver I carry in my flight bag. Works great and I already have it.
1-4-stubby-screwdriver.jpg

:cool:

Sometimes I have to replace my fuel cap opener after I use it to mix epoxy. Good excuse to have another popsicle here in the Florida heat ...

Peter

I usually use a stubby combination wrench like this one. The 3/8" wrench is one of my most used tools so it's always handy.

3-8stubby.jpg

If I'm opening the tanks during preflight check, I might use my Philips head stubby screwdriver that I carry to open my oil access door. This works okay but the wrench is a natural lever and the bend at the end makes it perfect for quickly popping open the fuel cap.

Last edited:
I use my VW fold a key on the keyfob, from my Electric VW e-Golf. It has a flat, fold out blade, kind of like a switch blade.

Last edited:
If you need anything more than your finger to flip up the tab on your fuel cap, then your cap nut is adjusted too tight and you will end up breaking the hinge pin.

Properly adjust and lube the O ring, and no tools needed to pry up the tab. The cone of the cap must be able to slide and drop as the O ring decreases in diameter so it can fit through the neck of the tank.

If you need anything more than your finger to flip up the tab on your fuel cap, then your cap nut is adjusted too tight and you will end up breaking the hinge pin.

Properly adjust and lube the O ring, and no tools needed to pry up the tab. The cone of the cap must be able to slide and drop as the O ring decreases in diameter so it can fit through the neck of the tank.
Good description of the function . . .
Your finger nails are tougher than mine, Warren!😁

The force needed is very low and consistent with the right lube and adjustment. Although a fingernail works for me, the tool is easier and need not be very strong.

I have used Krytox for nearly a year now. My caps still open and close with a light touch and smooth as butter. No need to wiggle for the opening.

According to the number of posts I think that quite a number of pilots use a tool to open the fuel cap. So do I. I figured that it is quite difficult to adjust the nut in a way that it allows for opening by finger nail and still have the cap. fully secured in the filler neck when the lid is down.
On my plane it is an either or question. If somebody has a good way how to adjust I d'be happy to read from.

According to the number of posts I think that quite a number of pilots use a tool to open the fuel cap. So do I. I figured that it is quite difficult to adjust the nut in a way that it allows for opening by finger nail and still have the cap. fully secured in the filler neck when the lid is down.
On my plane it is an either or question. If somebody has a good way how to adjust I d'be happy to read from.

Here you go...... http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1377409&postcount=9

Thanks a lot. I will re-adjust the cap. accordingly. Changing the O-Ring in an annual basis seems a bit overkill. I apply on-cond. maintenenance here.

Back