What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Traffic tracks on Aera 660 + GDL 39 + GDL 82

rjcthree

Well Known Member
My ADS-B setup is an Aera 660 gps, GDL 39 in, and a GDL 82 out connected to a GTX 327. Reports are excellent, it works. The distracting thing is that the 660 will show traffic tracks that are clearly old (4+ hours - and I've seen a track I know to be >12 hours old). The tracks overlay the map, especially in entry and exit areas of my home airport, which isn't that busy, but is under class B airspace. I'd like to figure out a way to eliminate them or at least shorten the life of past traffic tracks. I spent about 90 minutes with the 660 manual and working through menus, and I don't see anything there to adjust. I have not started in on the -39 or-82 yet. Has anyone else seen this and found a solution or a setting? Most everything is at factory settings currently. Thanks.

I have never seen traffic tracks on anything ads-b. Are you sure those aren’t your tracks (bread crumbs)?

All ads-b systems I have seen show where a plane is now, his track, altitude and speed, but not where he has been.

Traffic tracks

Rick,

I had an RV-4 with an Aera 660 and a GDL-39. I liked it and am putting one in my RV-8 as a backup. I think Jesse is right, what you are seeing is your own track log (bread crumbs). I didn’t like those cause they made the screen too busy and the screen isn’t that big in the first place. There is a setting to delete track logs and not show them.

TRACK LOG, page 190:

The aera 660 draws an electronic breadcrumb trail or “track log” on the Navigation Map. The track log contains points along its path, including time, and location for each point.

Showing/hiding the track log on the Navigation Map, page 191:

1) From the Main Menu, touch Map > Menu > Set Up Map.
2) Touch the Dedicated Page Icon and touch the Line Group.
3) Touch Track Log button and touch Show or Hide.

Clearing the track log, page 192:

1) From the Main Menu, touch Tools > Track Log.
2) Touch the desired track log (if applicable).
3) Touch Menu.
4) Touch Clear Active Track or Delete All Saved Tracks.
5) Touch Yes.

I have seen traffic tracks occasionally but it’s not really a past track, it’s a short line on the front of the traffic showing it’s projected track in front of the traffic symbol. You can also hide this:

Changing the track vector settings on the Navigation Map, page 193:

1) From the Main Menu, touch Map > Menu > Set Up Map.
2) Touch the Dedicated Page Icon and touch the 'Line' Group.
3) Touch the Track Vector button and touch Off, Distance, or Time.
4) If Distance is selected, use the keypad to enter the desired distance and touch Enter.
5) If Time is selected, use the + / - buttons to select the desired time.

Last edited:
Thanks

I?ll look into the bread crumbs path. I?m not sure it covers all of what I?ve seen, because I see tracks where I haven?t ever been, but I won?t know until I clear it all and see what reappears. Thank you for the effort you both put into your responses.

I’ll look into the bread crumbs path. I’m not sure it covers all of what I’ve seen, because I see tracks where I haven’t ever been, but I won’t know until I clear it all and see what reappears. Thank you for the effort you both put into your responses.

Hello Rick,

There is no such think as "traffic tracks". What you are seeing is the track log. If you look near the top of the image below you will see the faint dotted "bread crumbs" left from where I have flown with this feature enabled.

If you wish to disable showing the track log on the map, select "Tools", "Track Log", "Menu", "Setup" and change the Track Log field from "Show" to "Hide".

Thanks,
Steve

n8tRjXdwmd_hbK00e9p4LU-ejM5g3AaUZiebRXaEYvfsA2tLmAPWBy7KRLpITVL-LhEPqvcyrA2n8lZRWQsI_1q0Sssb3cIS9OhUi91KkcKCsE-7DPpEBwe0KkvLIBFi7B4TgFZQTPLTZsWanHZisWOVuk-Qb_iAwes2bpmHTceFxczFDxAdEuToFzBrIFupXsoCFlKpJbabdII2ywc6fL0IWNTFej6lOq6j6tWckZEGi8DsOVigxahc41OvwF3-zAPzH2_NNNnkamTkCHSfNpZr2R8du5LQQV4OxID5-I3etkZb_OkMTfWv_yx-tQCn58ha7AOjaYELIHvyosdy8tzobw8zP9cwbl0DjJBd7RNGnwSNVk0WpPXbNtcRFLyxWSwgoCo0SMNSU5Ak0278pf-MKf00n7epJHxZ4bIC_SsCe8EsziMGcZVIlMhSVy5V10PhaQtavMVbUFRfGEGPmHe4m9rNfIL1MNpHw_MTaYyxUIMqp6SoahdAwT2hx-IiA9BAo2_YBxWwT37LNOt-8MCDm5l_QwUc89jMy-zBaPuLOpZT2ayfNU6BkBqdghkoZ8LQ03sEge6KNvnrfDVhjwRl-hK9wzJwYKQE9B9LIE21xLi2kbW4ey-7dW_zVpdkmP1RoWXiZSByCtyQzpXJ4ujm=w480-h800-no

Back