What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lord adhesive color

lr172

Well Known Member
I am thinking of filling the gap between the window and top with adhesive / sealant. My top will be white and I was thinking of just letting the lord adhesive show through the window and fill the gap with some type of sealant or adhesive that matches the paint.

However, if the lord adhesive is an off white that won't blend with a pure white paint, I may paint the window edges to cover the adhesive.

Can anyone tell me what kind of white the lord adhesive is?

Larry

I am thinking of filling the gap between the window and top with adhesive / sealant. My top will be white and I was thinking of just letting the lord adhesive show through the window and fill the gap with some type of sealant or adhesive that matches the paint.

However, if the lord adhesive is an off white that won't blend with a pure white paint, I may paint the window edges to cover the adhesive.

Can anyone tell me what kind of white the lord adhesive is?

Larry

It is a milky white. Not a bright (bluish) white.

IMO, the appearance challenge is that if you have varied film thickness under the window, the color that shows through the window will vary from milky white to pinkish to whatever color your shims might be.

True

The joggle in the cabin top is nowhere near consistent. My windows were shimmed with the recommended #8 washers. Not only are some of the washers visible, the color does vary depending on the thickness of the adhesive.

I am planning on using vinyl wrap to make a trim strip around the window to cover the area where the adhesive is...

The Lord adhesive is actually available in Black but it only has about a 10 minute work time which would likely be too short...

Drift

I hadn't given it a a lot of thought, yet. I want to get it flying first!

That being said, using vinyl means I can change it if I don't like it...

The joggle in the cabin top is nowhere near consistent. My windows were shimmed with the recommended #8 washers. Not only are some of the washers visible, the color does vary depending on the thickness of the adhesive.

I am planning on using vinyl wrap to make a trim strip around the window to cover the area where the adhesive is...

The Lord adhesive is actually available in Black but it only has about a 10 minute work time which would likely be too short...

I have considered Sika 295 in black. Wondering if the black would deliver a more consistent color. I would then use the Sika to bridge the gap. I have heard that the Sika creates cracking of the f/g transition, but figured that wouldn't be an issue without the f/g transition.

I hadn't thought about the shims yet or a strategy to hide them. Maybe I'll need to paint that area of the window to cover it all of if the effort level goes up, just do the f/g transition.

Larry

Last edited:
Lord Adhesive

Larry,
The Lord adhesive I got from Aerosport was a light tan color when cured. As another poster mentioned, the thickness of the adhesive varies with the depth of the joggle around the window quite a bit, hence the need for washers as shims. The washers show up clearly under the plexi, as well as the occasional void in the adhesive, not unsound but certainly unsightly.
With Sika, you might be able to paint a nice consistent band inside the window with the primer before bonding the window in, and cover up the washers and other imperfections quite nicely. Running a bead of sealer around the plexi up to the paint line after that would finish the look very nicely I think.
I don't know about the relative strength of the Sika bond, the Lord stuff was easy to work with and has held the windows in without issue for the last 200hrs :)

Back