What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solder Seal connectors

csdominey

Patron
Would be interested in comments/experience with these connectors. Evidently have been around for a while, but just now finding out about them. Seem to be a nice option to crimps (don't trust them) and solder (so much time waiting!). But look like a gussied up cold solder connections, IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d83XuNDnHLI

Welcome to VAF

Cliff----welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

I have used the solder seal units without any problems.

Soldering is a basic skill all builders need to learn, just like bucking rivets.

Simple soldering iron and shrink tube for butt jounts makes this a 20 second operation - and a boatload cheaper than this product. That and you are not wielding a torch around your panel.

Crimped AMP ring or Faston tab connnectors have been demonstrated to be superior to most any other option. But - get the right crimp tool from someone like Stein. Not the Harbor Freight junk.

Carl

I have used them sparingly wherever I needed a smaller profile than crimp connectors and as others have for binding shields.
A heat gun is all you need. Don?t use a torch.

I use them exclusively. Huge time saver whether it’s 1 or 100 shielded wires to be terminated. In the end the price is a wash whether you’re paying for the labor or the solder sleeve. Plus, it leaves a very professional looking harness.

Edit* after watching the video, I only use solder sleeves for terminating shielded wires. Agree with others that the proper crimper is the way to go for ring terminals, butt splices, etc.

Last edited:
The OP made reference to not trusting crimps and my interpretation of the statement is that he wanted to use Solder Seals in lieu of crimps.

Professional avionics use crimp connectors for almost all primary connections. The solder seals main use is for the shield connections.

There are many discussions on this forum regarding the use of crimp connectors. If you use high quality crimps and the proper crimp tool, the wire will fail in a pull test before the crimp fails.

+1 with everything Rick said above. Aviation environment isnt the same as terrestrial; these methods are proven. Recage your gyros.

I have used them sparingly wherever I needed a smaller profile than crimp connectors and as others have for binding shields.
A heat gun is all you need. Don?t use a torch.

Same here.

But, I have found that with our smaller wire sizes than that shown in the video some sort of support is needed for both parts of the wire so it doesn't get all floppy when the shrink isn't firmed up and the solder is still a bit molten.

I use one of these without the magnifier. It keeps everything in place during the operation. :)

70726636_large.jpg

Ive used the Raychem environmental splices and shield terminators. I've never used the stuff you linked to though.

Last edited:
Raychem is a good brand, but don't forget Sumitomo solder sleeves as well. Both brands are available via Aircraft Spruce, with the Sumitomo sleeves being a bit cheaper. They work just as well.

If one is starting a fresh build from scratch, take a look at buying your solder sleeves in bulk from any of the on-line suppliers like Mouser and Digi-Key - you'll realize considerable savings over buying them through Aircraft Spruce.

Back