What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Airport for New Orleans

Len

Well Known Member
Heading down to New Orleans in mid February for work convention. Staying near the Quarter. Which airport would you suggest? Thanks !

We stopped into NOLA on the way back from the Bahamas last april and used KNEW. No issues in or out and they put the Rocket in a big hangar for free.

I have flown for work to both Lakefront (KNEW) and Louis Armstrong (KMSY).
If I was flying my personal piston powered ship I would go to Lakefront. The folks at the FBO were helpful and the cab ride to downtown was all of 5 minutes. Nothing wrong with the airport or service at KMSY, just a long way out and I suspect the fees will be higher just because it is the "big" airport.

Agree, Lakefront would be most convenient. I think I parked at what's now Landmark, but that was only because it was in front of me after landing on 18. It's been a very long time since I flew in there.

Toolbuilder, which FBO did you use? I'm close enough to NO that I usually drive down so I'll have a car, but it would be good to know which is currently the most 'friendly' FBO down there.

Len,

If you have time, swing by Slobovia & we'll take you to lunch/dinner.

Charlie

...Toobuilder, which FBO did you use? I'm close enough to NO that I usually drive down so I'll have a car, but it would be good to know which is currently the most 'friendly' FBO down there...

I dont remember it by name, but google maps confirms that I parked in the current Landmark hangar. If they were there back in April, then that's who I used.

Lakefront

KNEW for sure. Lakefront is a historic airport. Used to be the finest in the south. (Known as Shushan Airport when built in the Huey Long years.) Take time to walk thru the terminal which was restored after Katrina (Art Deco murals). It's closer to the Quarter than MSY and GA oriented. There's a thread with info about flying there in the Louisiana section. John

IF you want closer you could always try 65LA (Southern Seaplane) 1 mile north of KNBG. They have a 3200x40 strip adjacent to the waterway.

Messina's at the Terminal (in old terminal building at KNEW)

Is the most upscale yet casual wear accepted resturant I know of that is CLOSELY overlooking an airport, with large picture windows. Open Tues - Sun 8-3

very good to exceptional local food,... with wide variety of items..
hint,.. if you want some of the desserts,.. like bread pudding. you have to order when you order the food, as it is made to order.
beside a few "standard dishes" you can get, for example,..
Fried Green tomatoes (delicious with shrimp and sauce) , oysters, Shrimp, Crab cakes, crawfish, Catfish, pasta with andouille sausage ,....

Breakfast 8-11 lunch 11-3,... you can get breakfast anytime on Sat (hint Eggs Boudin, and other "local variations" on standard fare)

I was just at Lakefront a couple months ago. Nice place and close to the Quarter.

Do a little research on the terminal building and be sure to see it. Fascinating. Unfortunately I had no clue when I went and didn't walk through it. :-(

Oh well, I have a project near Baton Rouge, so I'm hoping I get the chance to return soon!

Back