What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Cooling

Berchmans

Well Known Member
I have looked at other threads but haven't found this issue address. Granted I live in a colder climate but I am hoping someone else has already had and addressed this issue. My oil temp is running to low. I have a YIO360M1B factory Lycoming with the Hartzel CS prop. I engine is the stock Vans installation and I have installed the oil cooler shutter. With shutter 100% closed I am running about 100 degrees above ambient temp. Suggestions.

I have looked at other threads but haven't found this issue address. Granted I live in a colder climate but I am hoping someone else has already had and addressed this issue. My oil temp is running to low. I have a YIO360M1B factory Lycoming with the Hartzel CS prop. I engine is the stock Vans installation and I have installed the oil cooler shutter. With shutter 100% closed I am running about 100 degrees above ambient temp. Suggestions.

Block BOTH sides of the oil cooler. You will be pleasantly surprised. :)

in these cooler temps my CHT's do run a bit cooler...same spread...will try blocking the back as well...hadn't considered that...

Your cyl temps are related to oil temp---------the oil picks up the heat from the guts of the engine remember.

It sounds like you could neck down your cooling air flow (either intake or exhaust side) and get both temps up.

Restricting the cooling intake air is pretty easy, and you could make removable cuffs/chokes for winter use, remove them when the weather warms up.

As I recall, Bob Axsom and Alan Judy both had threads showing how they made cowl intake restrictors. Might be worth some time going through their old threads. Bob has passed on, and Alan is not very active so a PM is most likely not going to be worthwhile.

Both Bob and Alan were looking for speed mods, so keep that in mind.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/member.php?u=1183

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/member.php?u=4492

in these cooler temps my CHT's do run a bit cooler...same spread...will try blocking the back as well...hadn't considered that...

Burke I fly all year. First couple years I was blocking oil cooler inlet completely and barely got oil temp in the green. Then some smart dude (forgot who was it) suggested to block it from both sides. Gained at least 20 degrees.

I will start with blocking the aft side, seems easier than blocking/restricting all air flow. The CHT's and EGT's seem ok. Most of my winter experience has been with much slower aircraft and blocking the upstream side of the coolers seems to be all that's required. Might add a second shutter on the back side and interconnect the two so they work of a single push/pull cable.

herding cats???

wouldn't most of this be solved if the engine stopped sending oil to the cooler to be overcooled????
someone very nice and smart once provided a nice chart here on VAF that showed exactly what the vernatherm does.
sounds like a couple of thin washers (add/subtract) to adjust the oil flow might be all that's needed, if it's functioning correctly.

This is the exact thread I am looking for. Covered the rear of my cooler completely with aluminum sheet and my oil temps are only getting to 172.. My CHTs are only about 304-308 so I think I need to reduce the inlet.

Looking at the links below that I think you are referring to, it looks like the pics aren't available. Does anyone else have better links, or a recollection of what Bob/Alan did?

Bob: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=18858&highlight=oil

Alan: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=12633

Thanks

I blocked off back of cooler per Vlad's recommendation and saw the 20 degree rise in oil temp...no fuss, no muss...

And now that air that is no longer going past the cylinders and into the oil cooler-----------where is it now going??

What happened to your CHT's after the mod???

Engine Design-Oil cooler facts.

wouldn't most of this be solved if the engine stopped sending oil to the cooler to be overcooled????
someone very nice and smart once provided a nice chart here on VAF that showed exactly what the vernatherm does.
sounds like a couple of thin washers (add/subtract) to adjust the oil flow might be all that's needed, if it's functioning correctly.

It is logical to think so, but the potential failure modes jump up and bite you. The actual issue, is that some engines once had this system where the oil cooler was completely blocked off. There were instances where it closed off completely and went to altitude a very cold temperatures and the oil gelled (below -20F) in the cooler. So, then returning to higher temps and needing the oil flow again, the cooler was essentially blocked and no oil cooling occurred. There was a failure and serious consequences. This is why the current designs use some flow through the cooler at all times.

The CHT's are unchanged. I have the van's shutter installed on the upstream side already so the airflow was already being diverted before installation of the down stream plate.

One other thought. Talking with my neighbor that did the south then north pole in his Lancair IV, he had -30 degrees over the north pole. With all air shutdown to his oil cooler he still could not get oil temp over 90 or so.

After he got back I thought about the paths for heat to leave the oil. On his plane the special, oversize 16 quart oil sump presented a huge cooling area for the oil to dissipate heat. Here adding some insulation to the sump would have, I believe, significantly helped retain oil heat. Something like this: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/koolmat.php?clickkey=183585

That said I would be surprised that any RV would need to resort to insulating the oil sump. My coldest run in either the RV-8 or RV-10 has been around 5 degrees. Closing the butterfly valve to cut off air to the oil cooler has always been adequate to keep oil temps at 180 or so.

Carl

Temperature update

Thought I would make some longer flights without varying power and altitude to see the results of installing shutter on upstream side of oil cooler and a blank plate on the downstream side and here is what I got.

OAT 15, CHT Spread 290 to 301, Oil Temp 145, Altitude 300 feet

OAT 30, CHT Spread 300 to 310, Oil Temp 150, Altitude 1500 feet

OAT 32, CHT Spread 311 to 318, Oil Temp 160, Altitude 4000 feet

Power was set at 65% running in LOP mode...all runs were at least 20 miles long...warmer, thinner air = higher oil temps.

Back