What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to do while waiting for quickbuild fuse & wings

Hi Everyone,

I'm just about done with my empennage kit (just the fiberglass tips remaining) and my quickbuild wing & fuselage kits aren't expected until the end of December. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about things I should do while I wait for the kits to arrive.

I have a few 'shop improvement' ideas: bigger air compressor and possibly another worktable. I'm also thinking about spraying a coat of primer on the components I've finished. (I'm not sure if I want to try to paint them myself, but I figured I could at least prime them.) Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
-Ross

I'd get the 3-views of the plane and start doodling away with paint scheme ideas. And do a first draft of what your panel will look like...the best and most rewarding part of the build, IMO.

If you haven't already, buy lots of parts organizers for rivets, hardware, etc.

Finish

Finish the tips too. It is better to have all the empennage done before moving on. The light on the rudder too! If you plan on having one.

Make a schematic/wiring diagram for all of the non-avionics electrical stuff you want/need.

Leave the avionics until much later since they change too much. :)

Finish the tips too. It is better to have all the empennage done before moving on. The light on the rudder too! If you plan on having one.
Great suggestion. It's so nice to have a finished piece (minus primer & paint) to stow away somewhere, then dust it off and bolt it on when the time comes.

Back