What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Priming Countersinks

Jwputnam

Well Known Member
Hey guys,

I prime all of my parts with Akzo two part epoxy after prep with "Pre-Kote". The stuff is like nails in about 30 minutes. Just amazing and so easy to use, BUT.....what to do when I have to simply prime the nut plate countersinks or other small areas. I can't just mix up a seriously small batch and wait for a half hour to spray it, etc. Besides, the stuff sets up incredibly fast when outside of the spray gun. There would be too much waste and not a big enough window.

Sooo.....is it OK to just go out and get a small can of aluminum primer at the local hardware store and use it for those really small areas?

I'm sure either, or neither is okay, however my usual course of action was to mix up a tiny amount and dab it in with a q-tip. That worked especially well for all the countersunk holes on the wing spars.

Chris

Use a syringe to make a small batch in 35mm film can. The pot life is 8 hours. A cue tip is a good applicator.

Back