What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Denver RV-7 N531R...Finally Flying!

RV7Ron

Well Known Member
After almost five years (1 month short) and ~2800 hrs of hard labor and long hours alone in a garage and hangar, my plane took to the skies for the first time on Sunday, Mar. 16th. This makes two new RV's in the Lima hangar row at KBJC as my hangar mate Bill got his flying on Friday. We are going to enjoy flying off our 40 hrs.

Jim Gray was my flight advisor and he had me well prepared. In fact, I felt more prepared for this flight than any other in my short flying career. As the saying goes however, your IQ is reduced by half when the canopy closes.

That saying definitely didn't hold true for me, I think my IQ actually reduced to less than half on the takeoff roll. It took me ten minutes to catch up to what was going on with all the fancy avionics and engine instrumentation as the airplane screamed around an oval orbit above the airport at WOT. The plane flew like a beauty during the 40 minute flight...the engine and prop combo was smooth as silk and it flew, well...like an RV, which sure is sweet. I am darn happy to finally be part of the flying club.

IMG_1052_zps0c8a1461.jpg

IMG_1020_zps3ce372bd.jpg

IMG_1030_zps53e13213.jpg

IMG_1085-002_zpsefd24f4e.jpg

IMG_1103_zps1d311ab6.jpg

IMG_1128_zpsd8b67aa7.jpg

Special thanks to my extended ground crew: Jim Gray, Sean Thomas, Sean Blair, John Armstrong, Brian Beatty, Scott Mills.

Thanks to everyone who helped along the way: my girlfriend Sheryl for allowing me to spend so much time with the mistress in the last six months, my Dad who always had the same dream to build and fly an RV, VAF for its endless source of RV knowledge, Scott Mills for keeping me inspired with breakfast flights to Greeley in his RV9A, Jason Beaver for a great build site to reference, Dan Checkoway who graciously answered all of my questions with long detailed emails when I was just getting started and set the standard for the great build sites now in existence, Joe Blank for my demo ride that triggered the emp purchase and lastly my hangarlord Bob Markert for putting up with my construction mess...there were a lot of you, too many to mention. You don't build one of these puppies alone and I am grateful for your help. Here are a few pics from the big day...I will post plenty more on my blog site shortly. As Rosie says, "KPR, its all worth it!"

CONGRATS!

I posted on Bill's thread that I knew you were right behind him, but I had no idea you were only 2 DAYS behind! Great work, man. I'm glad to hear you're flying too. The two of you are going to have a fun Phase 1. Alas, I am probably in the camp with Sean Thomas, who won't fly for a while yet. :(

That is real cool Ron. Congratulations on your first flight. What a feeling it must be. Having your hangar partner finish and go flying the same weekend - what a treat. I gota get down there and see your work. When you get your 40 done, come on over the hill and say hello!

Excellent!!!

Ron....it sure was exciting to see you and Wablosa jump off the ground Sunday morning. I don't think it could have gone better. Snow covered Colorado Mountains in the background at one end, and Denver's cityscape at the other. As soon as you took the active and gave her some throttle, that awesome red prop and healthy sounding engine did its thing, then off you went!!! You built a great plane and handled the first flight very well. Congrats and enjoy the benefits of all your hard work!

BTW...I also appreciate your excellent blog. It's been a good source of reference, entertainment, and inspiration.

All the best!!!

Sorry I am late to this party but congrats to you Ron, and thanks again for your inspirational and beautifully photographed web site during your build. I know I benefitted from your experience.

Congratulations!

Thanks for posting first flight reports help keep the building motivation up!

Where did you get your flight suit from? Always looking for B'day/xmas presents from the family! And if it doesn't go on or in an aeroplane, baw bawwww....

Congrats to Joe as well, (a new RV sucker is born everyday hey..)......

Where did you get your flight suit from? Always looking for B'day/xmas presents from the family! And if it doesn't go on or in an aeroplane, baw bawwww....

Flight suit came from the Oshkosh fly market...used, but good condition, $40...if I remember right.

Ron,

Somehow just saw this. Congrats man! What an achievement. We will have to go flying somewhere now.

cheers

Geoff

RV7

Ron.
I will be in Denver in about a month & would very much like to see your plane & "pick your mind." I am building a -7. If this is convienent, please contact me: [email protected]
Thanks,
Fox Smith

Back