What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit Changes

Staunch111

Well Known Member
Can anyone advise on whether there have been any changes in the RV7 kits over the last 4 years. I'm contemplating buying a complete SB kit (untouched) from a local builder vs a QB fuse + SB wings direct from the factory.

The kit is complete with a finishing kit (tip up with a firewall for IO-360 A1B6 200HP). Any thoughts on how much I would be up for if I wanted to downgrade to a 180HP.

Thanks in advance for any input!

For the RV7 kit, you would be hard pressed for Van's to update anything... cant even get them to fix errors in the plans. Build on... :) God forbid you have a canopy fit issue.

Last edited:
The only physical change near the time frame you mention is a revision to the nose gear leg and fork. The Vans service bulletin is dated 2007 so it is probable your equipment is already up to date. That's the only thing I would check. Even if it is the old style, it is a builder decision whether the change it or not.

Build on.

Minor "buildability" improvements have been introduced to a few parts, and additions like stall warners (optional, anyway). Nothing that affects interchangeability. Be bloody sure that the center section spar serial numbers match the wing spar serial numbers.

I presume you mean a firewall-forward kit not just "firewall". There may be a few items unnecessary or missing as it applies to your choice of engine, but nothing drastic. Make sure the engine mount is appropriate for your engine. You'll save thousands of dollars with a carby rather than injected on a plain vanilla 360.

John Siebold

No need to worry about the spar matching the center section any more. It is all C N C machined and drilled. I bought a 2008 QB wing, center section from another kit, and a 2012 slow fuse. The wings bolted right up. The newer fuse kits are modified to accept glass panels. The park brake mounts in the pre drilled holes in the firewall. VS doubler pre punched, and most important, the canopy fram is almost a bolt on match.

I'm continually impressed with the level of builder support within the RV community. The fact that you all take time out of your day to answer questions for newbies and fellow builders is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

when did the tanks change

there was a change to the fuel tank pickup bracket-- anti-rotation bracket instead of safety wire and proseal.

Pretty sure it was only for non-flop tubes.

Brake OEM has changed to Matco

Things don't change often with the 7. It would seem that most of the effort is being spent on the 12 and 14

Vans is always making small changes

A couple changes that I am aware of have been made in the last 4 or so years:

1) All the fiberglass tips now have a new Gel Coat on them. Its grey vs, white and supposedly has better resistance to cracks or bubbles.

2) The aileron Bell-Cranks now have a predrilled hole with nutplate holes already drilled for a nutplate to bolt the autopilot servo rod to.

I am sure there are other small changes, but above is a couple.

Thx

Back