What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Correcting Oil Screen leak between Changes ?

704CH

Well Known Member
OK, so I have inspected my oilscreen a couple times, got the brand new crush washer in place each time with correct torque successfully. For some reason this time around I have a slight leak, tried to tighten it just a bit more to see if I could stop the leak, no joy..

So the question is.. Is there a way for me to change this without dumping the oil? I assume this is probably an impossible thing to do, but if I am just missing something please advise.

Any other thoughts on how to guarantee no leaks on the oil screen (other than not checking it) so that I don't have to go through an un-needed oil change again?

Thanks

If you drain the oil into a clean container, there should be no problem reusing it.

The crush washer must be installed in the proper manner and proper torque. Sorry, I have it written down at the hangar. I think it's 130deg. past contact. Never had one leak.

If you drain the oil into a clean container, there should be no problem reusing it.

The crush washer must be installed in the proper manner and proper torque. Sorry, I have it written down at the hangar. I think it's 130deg. past contact. Never had one leak.

The data mentioned...

lycoming-torques_zpsd981c236.jpg

crazy. i have been using the same washer for 13 years, my cars too. mine will finger tight till flush, then just tighten. if it is leaking then you got some thing wrong. are you sure it is from there and not just some extra oil from the oil change that was hiding some where? carry on. :)

Back