What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phoenix to Seattle via the Grand Canyon

704CH

Well Known Member
After spending the week in Phoenix with family, Bekah and I, with our little dog Ariel, departed Deer Valley at 7am, flew over the Grand Canyon to Salt Lake (3hrs) , then onto Walla Walla (3hrs) , and making it home to Seattle (1.5 hrs) by 5pm. Quite the day, but the 1200 miles was easily doable apart from some stiffness that we had to walk off at some park in Walla Walla after a late lunch. I figure about 1500 miles in a day is the most I would ever want to do in the RV.

The Grand Canyon of course was the highlight, We flew the Dragon Corridor on the eastern side of the canyon at 11,500. Was crazy amazing and a ?life achievement? for me to fly over that canyon in a plane that I built in my garage.

Many have probably shared canyon pics, but here are mine and a video taken just the other day:

Pics and Video Here: www.704ch.com

sing, yell, or just sit and be truly amazed!

The Grand Canyon of course was the highlight, We flew the Dragon Corridor on the eastern side of the canyon at 11,500. Was crazy amazing and a ?life achievement? for me to fly over that canyon in a plane that I built in my garage.

my thoughts exactly. the Grand Canyon is an amazing sight from our homebuilts. sing, yell, or just sit and be truly amazed!

Thanks for sharing Chad. The Grand Canyon's been on my bucket list for a very long time. Hope to do the same as soon as I'm done.

Dale

tip

flying the canyon was surprising easy. I looked at the special flight rules map for the canyon and added two points on my gps by eyeball, one on the south side and one one the north side. when airborne I climbed to the posted altitude and contacted LA Center for flight following and told them I was going to fly the Dragon corridor and asked then to keep an eye on me. they were happy to do it and gave me a slight heading tweak. I few North bound at 11.5K and then reversed course once across and descended to 10.5K for the South bound course. LA Center was great and they will help guide you if needed.

Back