What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ausfly aerobatics refresher with an Instructor

eddieseve

Well Known Member
In between the aerobatics displays at Ausfly, I managed to grab some time with an instructor to go up and have my aerobatics critiqued, its spring here in Australia and the country side around Narromine in Western NSW looks just fabulous.

We were trying to establish entry speeds and getting me to string a few maneuvers together, I need lots more practice but I had a blast.

Select high quality video in the options when you get to youTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5KLtvive3g

Cheers
Eddie

Last edited:
Nice

Nice video and beautiful countryside! Makes me realize how lucky we are here in the NW US to have big volcanos to use as references when practicing acro.

A couple questions:
You were shooting for 145 on entry, is that knots?
Looked like you've got a FP prop since I didn't see a governor knob. Were you maintaining full power on the backside of the loop or pulling back to keep from overspeeding?

Thanks,

Were you maintaining full power on the backside of the loop or pulling back to keep from overspeeding?

Just a general comment based on widespread misconception about RVs and loops...you do NOT need to pull power back on the backside of a properly-performed loop. If you enter and exit at the same altitude (or fairly near to), it is physically impossible to complete the loop with significantly more airspeed than you entered with. So if you are humming along at 25 squared, or 2500 rpm with a fixed pitch, you can do the loop without touching the throttle. Don't pull power back. The only reason you might want to pull a little power off on the backside of a loop is if you are adding FULL power on the way up (to help round it out), and then returning the power to your original entry setting on the backside. I hear lots of folks say they pull lots of power off (or even go to to idle) on the way down. This unnecessarily fearful flying, and totally unnecessary if you manage your energy (ie - pull and float properly) during the loop.

Last edited:
Hi Bill,

A couple questions:
You were shooting for 145 on entry, is that knots?

** Yes 145 knots on loop entry, which allowed me to pull around 3.5-4G

Looked like you've got a FP prop since I didn't see a governor knob. Were you maintaining full power on the backside of the loop or pulling back to keep from overspeeding?

** Yes FP prop
We spent a bit of time in a previous session working out what my full power, max speed relationship was. For me with my setup, as long as I don't exceed 150 knots, I will remain below red-line (2700rpm).

So during the loop as long as I pull hard enough on the exit the throttle can stay all the way in and not cause any issues.

My instructor said exactly what luddite42 said above, if you listen carefully to his comment after I complete the first loop, he is chastising me for pulling power on the down side.

Cheers

Last edited:
Way to go Edward!!!

Keep pulling...

Back...

;)

It was a shame to miss the dinner on Saturday night..

We'll catch up for a beer next time.

Thanks for sharing.

Nice

Great video Eddie! Pete seems to be a wonderful instructor:)
He seems very precise, calm mannered and patient! Well done:D

Just a general comment based on widespread misconception about RVs and loops...you do NOT need to pull power back on the backside of a properly-performed loop. If you enter and exit at the same altitude (or fairly near to), it is physically impossible to complete the loop with significantly more airspeed than you entered with. So if you are humming along at 25 squared, or 2500 rpm with a fixed pitch, you can do the loop without touching the throttle. Don't pull power back. The only reason you might want to pull a little power off on the backside of a loop is if you are adding FULL power on the way up (to help round it out), and then returning the power to your original entry setting on the backside. I hear lots of folks say they pull lots of power off (or even go to to idle) on the way down. This unnecessarily fearful flying, and totally unnecessary if you manage your energy (ie - pull and float properly) during the loop.

WELL SAID! I wish more people could understand this. My preferred loop entry is at 2600 RPM and 160 knots (dive to 160 then set 2600). As long as I don't go past 160 knots on the back side, I can NOT go past 2600 RPM. Alternatively as long as I do not let it go past 2600 RPM, I can NOT exceed 160 knots. No need for throttle jockeying and a 160 knot entry can give a nice round loop. I use exactly the same settings for a big old barrel roll and this keeps it all standard and makes back to back loop/barrel rolls easy. It's easy, SET IT & FORGET IT... The overspending RV own the back side of a loop is an old wives tale (providing G loading is maintained).

The overspending RV own the back side of a loop is an old wives tale (providing G loading is maintained).

Well, it's definitely possible, but requires a real mismanagement of the maneuver, which is common among self-taught or inexperienced aerobats. If you don't float the top, pinch the top at a high speed, and then get tentative with the pull on the way down, you're gonna blow out under your beginning altitude, and might overspeed if you don't pull power off. But that'll happen in any airplane. Nothing special about the RV.

Thanks

I appreciate the responses. I took my aerobatic instruction in an Extra 300 with a constant speed prop, and the instructor pointed out that I might need to watch for overspeeding on the down line, but the logic expressed here makes perfect sense. Haven't practiced enough yet to know one way or the other.

I appreciate the responses. I took my aerobatic instruction in an Extra 300 with a constant speed prop, and the instructor pointed out that I might need to watch for overspeeding on the down line, but the logic expressed here makes perfect sense. Haven't practiced enough yet to know one way or the other.

Hi Bill, I recently took some duel time in an Extra 300 as well while on vacation in the US. Man those things are awesome! I wan't one but trying to convince my wife to live in a trailer park so I can afford one is not working out for me ;) luckily, the RV-7 is a pretty good second option. Happy flying!

Back