What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingspar bolt removal RV-4/HR2

floridawing

Well Known Member
I decided to remove two wingspar bolts this afternoon to prime the F-449 mount and add a crotch belt mount. The first bolt just slid out. The second bolt is being very difficult. I have read all the post on spar bolt removal tonight that I should have read before doing the project this afternoon, figures! I have lubed the bolt and turned the bolt (now I know I should not have) I have hit the bolt with a block of wood and light hammer. It has moved alittle. I do not want to damage the spar or leave any stress risers! I am about ready to just tap it back in and install and torque the nut but my understanding is I am supposed to use a new bolt now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks alot!

IMG_0114.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0113.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0112.jpg
[/IMG]

It may be easier to loosen the other "big" bolts a couple turns and then tap out the bolt. Get someone to jiggle the wingtip up and down while you tap out the bolt, it usually helps a little. The bolt doesn't have to be replaced if removed and it is not damaged, but it sure doesn't hurt.

I recently used a very large C Clamp (I have one that is something like 12" long don't know where I got it from) and a deep socket to remove one similar stuck bolt. Socket over the head in a way that provides clearance. Clamp between the socket on one side and the threaded end of the bolt on the other. This acts as a large "bearing puller" sort of thing. Few turns of the clamp and the bolt "released" as it got over whatever it was hung up on. Removed setup and bolt slid the rest of the way out....

Rivet gun and brass rivet set. Then punch. Hammer and wood will not impart enough force, the wood acts as a damper

+1 on the rivet gun

The rivet gun method works like magic. You'll feel good about how easily the bolt comes out and how little scarring occurs. A quick squirt of penetrating oil wouldn't be a bad idea, but galling isn't much of a problem between aluminum and aircraft hardware, anyway.

I doubt you'll be able to reuse the bolts due to the additional thickness of the seat belt bracket. New bolts are a good idea, anyway. In my opinion, these two center bolts bolts are more critical for securing the control column than for retaining the wing spar. You wouldn't want them coming loose due to inadequate engagement with the locknuts.

A brass set in the rivet gun will make short work of reinstalling the new bolt as well. I used Boelube on the bolts during reassembly.

M

I agree with Bob.

+2 for rivet gun and pin punch... especially if you ever need to remove the wings. You'd die of old age before any of the other methods would get all of those bolts out.

You often need to reinstall them the same way. Those danged things are tight.

Back