What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WW 200RV oil leak?

RV8RIVETER

Well Known Member
Patron
Howdy all

Has anybody had any issues with the prop O-ring leaking on their 200RV?

We did the first ground run, fine, no leaks anywhere. Then on the second we get a leak that we trace down to be the prop O-ring seal. Take off the prop and find fine black particles in suspension and WW said they had already upgraded to viton O-rings a while ago (but ours was buna). OK no problem, get new viton O-ring get all clean and inspect everything. We do notice that the prop hub surface where the o-ring seats has groove lines. Doesn't seem right, but make a note of it to WW and install the prop with viton. First ground run after was great, no leaks. The next run small leak is back. We have to pull the nose hub to add more washers to change the fine pitch stop, so we are on the look-out for the black particles and find none, all is clean oil. Great. First and second flight have shown the same leaks again. We have already verified it is not the crank seal, the front is dry. The leaks are not very big, maybe thimble or two of oil all in total, but want to get it resolved. No difference in oil temp between the first runs that did not leak and the subsequent ones that did.

Last edited:
How old is the prop? When was it manufactured? I also have the 200RV. Mine was made in June 2012. First flight probably next week--I will let you know if I have any problems with mine.

How old is the prop? When was it manufactured? I also have the 200RV. Mine was made in June 2012. First flight probably next week--I will let you know if I have any problems with mine.

Mine was part of the big group buy about 2 years ago. Thanks.

no issues on mine...

Mine was part of the big group buy about 2 years ago. Thanks.

For another data point I also purchased mine in the big group buy (3 years ago - in summer 2009) with delivery of my prop in November of 2009 and now have 430 tach hours turning it without any oil seepage.

Last edited:
Back