What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wings Removal Questions

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
This is a question for those builders who remove their wings frequently:
A number of builders complain that it is so tough to put the wings on that they avoid to remove them unless necessary for maintenance or inspection. For the small number who decided to casually remove the wings for space saving in the hangar, it would be interesting to understand how they managed to make the process a smooth one. It is clear that the seal between the wing and fuselage has to be compressed in the process. Some had to replace the VANs supplied seal with a thinner one but this may not be enough and there may be other sources of resistance like the spar stubs. If you have managed to make the process of wing removal/reinstall easy by tweeking some parts, I would be interested to know where you found room to play.

You might take a look at my log, I recently put the wings on and took them off - all by myself. It was pretty much a non-event, easy and simple. Although I don't have the seal rubber on yet, I still had to pull them in and I had made a tool that worked like a charm to do that, rubbers should not be a problem.

We removed the wings each flight on our first one due to hangar space and the only problem we had was the Van's supplied rubber, when we changed to soft 1/8 inch material it worked fine and we had no problems with the wing install. We used two people instead of equipment and installed the left wing and inserted the main pins half way so that they were flush with the back face of the left wing spar then inserted the right wing and inserted the right pin all the way and then the left. The left pin always took just a little extra push and we kept the pins and bushings clean and lubricated. It takes less than five minutes on or off. This is one of the RV-12's best features.

Best regards,
Vern

Thanks Don and Vern.
I have to admit that I am a little disappointed by the few answers. I conclude that either few people remove their wings casually or those who remove them are so busy doing so that they don't have time to share their misery. :eek:
Too bad: such a nice feature with lots of impact on the global design!
As my boss used to say: this feature has a bright future and will stay so for a long time!

Hi Frog, Although I don't store the 12 wingless, I have had them off many times. If I have to do anything in the fuselage that will be easier with them off, off they come. I don't feel it is misery. Misery would be removing the wings from a Beech Sierra. The last time I had them off, I actually made an outline around the wing skin, pulled them out a few inches and installed the seal. They did require more effort to install, but I think in time, as the seal get's cut in, they will install easier. This is my favorite feature of the 12.

Thanks Don and Vern.
I have to admit that I am a little disappointed by the few answers. I conclude that either few people remove their wings casually or those who remove them are so busy doing so that they don't have time to share their misery. :eek:
Too bad: such a nice feature with lots of impact on the global design!
As my boss used to say: this feature has a bright future and will stay so for a long time!

Jean-Pierre,

Since you are looking for more input, here is my 2 cents worth. I am fortunate enough to have a hangar, so the wings generally stay on. But I have had them on and off enough times to have learned a few things.

1. Trim the skins very carefully exactly per the instructions. If you do this the wings will fit snugly with the supplied rubber strips.

2. It helps to fabricate an insertion tool. See: http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=BigJohn&project=639&category=0&log=120084&row=64. We later refined the "bullet" to have a cam-like surface on the end so it can be inserted as far as it will easily go, then turned to draw the spars into alignment.

3. It helps a lot to have two people involved in installing the wings - one to work the pins, and another to wiggle the end of the wing until alignment is achieved.

4. The more you do it, the easier it gets. As mentioned above, clean pins and litlle grease also help.

John

I got mine on OK, but surprisingly getting the right pin back OUT was the biggest hassle. Finally got a long heavy rod and pounded in it a bit from the back. I think some sort of slide hammer that would pull on the latch pin might be in order, since with the rear window and tail on, what I done would not be possible.

I got mine on OK, but surprisingly getting the right pin back OUT was the biggest hassle. Finally got a long heavy rod and pounded in it a bit from the back. I think some sort of slide hammer that would pull on the latch pin might be in order, since with the rear window and tail on, what I done would not be possible.

Don, did you grease the pins before insertion? Also helps to grasp the "handle" on the pin and rotate as you pull. I would be very reluctant to pound on the backside, fearing damage to the bushings. John

I used boelube on them. Leaning over te side makes it hard to get a good pull on the pins, tapping them out from behind worked well with no excess pounding.
I also tapered the angle on the end of the pins and scotchbrited them to make it more of a taper than the sharp angle it comes with.
I was shocked at Oshkosh when Mitch pulled his wing on the blue demo to demonstrate, he had to pound them back in with a small sledge hammer! I too made me a small offset pin tool that allows me to twist it and pull the wings into position easily, photo on my kitlog site. I think I discovered some small milling errors on the spars or their support beam, since the pins go in the bushings on the spars with looseness even.

image_478.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/small-tail-pipe-expander-37352.html
This Small Tail Pipe Expander works well. It is short and thus has to be centered on the spars. Turn the hex shaft just enough to align the spars. Excessive force is not necessary or desired.
The pins are easier to insert and remove if the wing tips are supported.
Joe Gores

I took another approach Joe, turned this little jewell in my lathe. I like it, since it gives me a positive feeling of what is happening, worked very smoothly.
2vs47py.jpg
[/IMG]

Good job Don,
It is hard to tell from the picture. Is the end cam-shaped on the end like John Peck talked about above?
Joe Gores

Not sure what you would call the shape, I had to experiment to get the correct action I needed, and of course I use Boelube on the cam to make the polished surface slide easily. This shows it better I think:
qx465k.jpg
[/IMG]

Good job Don,
It is hard to tell from the picture. Is the end cam-shaped on the end like John Peck talked about above?
Joe Gores

Don's picture looks just like mine. Almost like we collaborated on the design! Mine is the same diameter for the full length, so I can tap it on thru with the real pin.

I only made two before I locked the patent:D
I sent Torsten the other one, he has not tried it yet I don't think.

Now we are talking!

I believe now that this thread and the one David Paule mentioned: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=75406 provide a thorough picture of the issues and solutions for wings removal/attachment. I feel that an RV-12 builder can work successfully with what has been experimented and described by the fellow builders in these two threads. Thanks a lot for sharing your time, ideas and solutions.

Back