What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 rudder versus stock RV-6 rudder

jbagley

Well Known Member
So, from my understanding, Van's shipped a number of rv6 kits with the larger rudder from the rv8 in the last few years they were making 6's. I have both a flying rv6a and an rv6 under construction both with the small rudder and am thinking about building one or two rv8 rudders. More rudder authority on a tail dragger would be nice. Kindof a toss up for the nose dragger, but might be nice if it reduced the turbulence wag.

Any disadvantage to putting the rv8 rudder on an rv6? Weight and drag are the only two things I can think of and can't imagine either being significant enough to worry about. Looks like cost would be < $500 for the parts, though I haven't priced it out in detail...

Appearance. I may have seen such a plane this year and it looked odd. Of course my view of odd vs good may be abnormal.

So, from my understanding, Van's shipped a number of rv6 kits with the larger rudder from the rv8 in the last few years they were making 6's. I have both a flying rv6a and an rv6 under construction both with the small rudder and am thinking about building one or two rv8 rudders. More rudder authority on a tail dragger would be nice. Kindof a toss up for the nose dragger, but might be nice if it reduced the turbulence wag.

Any disadvantage to putting the rv8 rudder on an rv6? Weight and drag are the only two things I can think of and can't imagine either being significant enough to worry about. Looks like cost would be < $500 for the parts, though I haven't priced it out in detail...

Maybe obvious, but it's more than just the rudder. The vertical fin is also different.

but might be nice if it reduced the turbulence wag.

I have not found wag to be a problem with the small tail. I don't like the looks of the tall tail on the six. It's just too much.

I would not add any weight to the rear (thin paint) if you are using an 0320 and a wooden prop. 360 and c/s is ok. There are more sixes flying with that small tail than any other of Van's designs.

Tail

The 6 vertical is the best looking by far of all of "Van's" tails, works good so why mess up a good thing :cool:. Just my 2 cents worth.....

History

The larger fin/rudder was added to increase the ability to recover from a spin. Which looks best is a matter of opinion, which has more authority in a spin is a matter of fact.

Yes I know the small finned version recovered well from spins, but the larger gives a greater margin of safety.

The larger fin/rudder was added to increase the ability to recover from a spin. Which looks best is a matter of opinion, which has more authority in a spin is a matter of fact.

Yes I know the small finned version recovered well from spins, but the larger gives a greater margin of safety.

Actually, the change to the 8 vertical and rudder on the 6 kit was made for parts commonality (reduced manufacturing and inventory = reduced cost), not spin recovery. It also allowed RV-6 builders to get some bennefit from the improvements being made in match hole parts (commonly refered to as prepunched) on the later kits.

RV-6 w/-8 rudder

To be able to compare, I am posting a pic of my soon-to-be-completed RV-6 with it's very early in the change process -8 VS and Rudder. I had the original tail in the kit but decided, like you, a little more rudder authority couldn't be a bad thing. Two other RV-6's on my field have the old, non-counter balanced VS/Rudder and I think they all look great.

20l03nb.jpg

Here is a friend's -6 with the standard tail. Compare it to mine with the -8 tail.

2qsqcs7.jpg

By the way, I think Stein had a photo with two -6's tail-to-tail with two different tails. Maybe he will post it again.

If not, if you would like I will back our -6's up and take one myself. I'm kind of interested in the look myself.

Last edited:
On my -6 I had cracks in the old rudder, so I built the RV-8 VS/rudder, and flew it for 200 hours before the tornado got me.

1. Slowed the airplane down slightly.
2. I thought it looked a lot better.
3. Did not noticeably reduce tail wag in turbulence.
4. It was more effective, but the feel was not any lighter.

POOOH Ner,

don't leave out that they are lots easiser to taxi behind in formation.

Slick

Comonality

Actually, the change to the 8 vertical and rudder on the 6 kit was made for parts commonality (reduced manufacturing and inventory = reduced cost), not spin recovery. It also allowed RV-6 builders to get some bennefit from the improvements being made in match hole parts (commonly refered to as prepunched) on the later kits.

So, why have 4 kits not been supplied with the larger rudder?

James,

I just bolted on an -8 VS and rudder to my -6 today. Parts ran a little over $625, but I bought an extra set of glass caps (future mods). First test hop tomorrow, so I'm back in PH I for 5 hours, and will try to get you some more data to add to the good info Bob gave above.

Genesis of this mod for me was other racers suggesting (rather strongly) that I add a counterbalance to my rudder.

Not trying to say that a standard -6 needs the counterbalance, IMHO the standard tail is just fine (as mentioned, there are more of them flying than any other model...and I like the look of it too).

FWIW, since mine is a hybrid -6/Rocket (and was built as such), the counterbalance mod seems wise for the speeds it is capable of. Since (as you said) later 6 kits had 8 tails, this seemed like the best way to approach it. Confirmed this via research and discussions with the head shed.

Here's a pic (and it will be red soon!) I'll get you a full-plane before and after picture after paint, so you can compare as you consider the mod. I'm encouraged by how nice Gary's looks with the 8 tail (in red, no less! ;)).

8%252520tail%252520sm.jpg

And yes, I was tickled when the tail fairing still fit (some work to do for a really nice fit, but waaayyy better than starting over!)

Will update you as I test it. Comments/Q's for Bob and Tim below...

On my -6 I had cracks in the old rudder, so I built the RV-8 VS/rudder, and flew it for 200 hours before the tornado got me.

1. Slowed the airplane down slightly.
2. I thought it looked a lot better.
3. Did not noticeably reduce tail wag in turbulence.
4. It was more effective, but the feel was not any lighter.

Bob,

How much slower? Was hoping against hope that it would be neutral (5" taller tail verus a higher aspect ratio rudder...something silly like that). I did use nutplates for the glass caps, so winter mod 1 may be a shortened flat cap from the school of Tom Martin. (Mod 2 can be the tailcam...no speed in that though).

F1 Boss-man told me today he thought it would reduce the wag...interesting to hear that was not your experience.

I've been told to expect more effectiveness. Where was that most evident? Less R rudder in climb? Any more nimble (good) or twitchy (bad) handling during TO/LNDG. I imagine you got used to it very quickly.

Any other thoughts for a test hop with the new tail, since you've been there? (Thx!)

Oh, and note to self...stay clear of Tornado Alley for the next 200+ hours :eek:. Slick passed me first-hand reports of what you guys went through, and it hurt to hear...glad you are all OK and moving forward!

POOOH Ner,

don't leave out that they are lots easiser to taxi behind in formation.

Slick

So that's why you're so happy I'm doing this mod! :p

Cheers,
Bob

Thank you Scott

It is always good to get the facts from the "factory." I wonder if any RV-8 builder has considered putting on a RV-6 vertical stabilizer and rudder for speed?

I already have the short tail.

Bob Axsom

P.S. Bob Mills, what is that retract behind your plane in the photo?

Last edited:
It is always good to get the facts from the "factory." I wonder if any RV-8 builder has considered putting on a RV-6 vertical stabilizer and rudder for speed?

I already have the short tail.

Bob Axsom

P.S. Bob Mills, what is that retract behind your plane in the photo?

Bob,

Believe me, the tail height issue is a bit of a concern (Speed-wise only), but the safety aspect of the rudder counterbalance (in my unique circumstance) trumps it. Testing will tell, and then whatever mods to assist that will be forthcoming (smaller fin caps, Wings and Wheels airflow drag reduction items, tape, etc). Just gonna keep the rudder light (thin paint, no graphics, etc.).

Would be intersting to get the mothership's take on putting a 6 tail on an 8. The narrower, longer aft fueslage section of the 8 probably benefits from the taller, more effective rudder. Even if the wag didn't decrease for Bob on his 6, one might think the wag on an 8 might go up with a smaller rudder. I'd think the taller 8 tail would also put the top of the tail higher into the airstream, above the flow off the higher (I think) 8 canopy. Just musing here, no claims of fact. Interesting thought though Ax.

The plane in the background is a secret...
... just teasin'! :p

It's a Lancair 360, belonging to my hangar neighbor. Sig 600 just bought the motor, so its on a tail stand and the nosewheel (which you can't see) is slightly off the ground. Kinda makes it look like a retractable tailwheel plane, eh! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
I purchased Robbie Attaways aircraft. It is unusual in that it has the small rudder but is balanced with a horn. He intended to race the aircraft and did several races. Does a balanced rudder increase flutter margins in the tail? I do know he also used the thicker skins off the 7 on the tail feathers. I will try and attach a photo.
George

Bob,

How much slower? Was hoping against hope that it would be neutral (5" taller tail verus a higher aspect ratio rudder...something silly like that). I did use nutplates for the glass caps, so winter mod 1 may be a shortened flat cap from the school of Tom Martin. (Mod 2 can be the tailcam...no speed in that though).

About 2-3 knots as far as I could tell. Regrettable I did not do a before/after test.

F1 Boss-man told me today he thought it would reduce the wag...interesting to hear that was not your experience.
Yeah just never noticed any handling differences in the bumps.
I've been told to expect more effectiveness. Where was that most evident? Less R rudder in climb? Any more nimble (good) or twitchy (bad) handling during TO/LNDG. I imagine you got used to it very quickly.

Yep, before I had to put a bit more pressure on the rudder on takoff. After it took a bit less. As speeds were slower it seemed to be more effective...in a hammerhead it went over a bit quicker.

Any other thoughts for a test hop with the new tail, since you've been there? (Thx!)

Oh, and note to self...stay clear of Tornado Alley for the next 200+ hours :eek:. Slick passed me first-hand reports of what you guys went through, and it hurt to hear...glad you are all OK and moving forward!

Thanks Bob... I do miss my RV badly...I bought a C150 for an absurdly low amount and that's getting me to breakfast on the weekends. A couple of more months and I will have the rocket flying, then on to rebuilding the -6. And the really good thing is I have spousal approval to keep all three airplanes.

One thing to add. I originally had a wedge on the rudder about 6" long to get the ball to center. On the new VS I offset it 3/16" to the left and it flew ball-in-the-center...so thats always a good thing.

Robbie's plane was fast

I purchased Robbie Attaways aircraft. It is unusual in that it has the small rudder but is balanced with a horn. He intended to race the aircraft and did several races. Does a balanced rudder increase flutter margins in the tail? I do know he also used the thicker skins off the 7 on the tail feathers. I will try and attach a photo.
George

Taylor 100 2007 5/20/07 RV Blue RV-6 Attaway, Robbie 186.47
Taylor 100 2007 5/20/07 RV Blue RV-6A Axsom, Bob & Jeanine 168.72

In the first SARL race Your plane then owned by Robbie Attaway out ran me by ~18 kts. It is indeed a fast airplane... but I have been working!

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
...in a hammerhead it went over a bit quicker.

Sold! :D

Just kidding. I've not even done a hammerhead yet. Getting some aerobatic training next month. Not something I see myself doing a lot of, but aerobatics are interesting, fun and good experience.

rvmills said:
I just bolted on an -8 VS and rudder to my -6 today. Parts ran a little over $625, but I bought an extra set of glass caps (future mods). First test hop tomorrow, so I'm back in PH I for 5 hours, and will try to get you some more data to add to the good info Bob gave above.

That's more $$ than my guestimate, but still within reason. I think i'll be building the taildragger RV6 with the larger rudder but keep the small rudder on my flying rv6a. We *just* finished painting the plane and i'll be putting it back together over the weekend. The thought of prepping, priming and painting another aircraft part is just not appealing to me right now... My 6A is also red BTW; my painter calls it ridiculous bright. I'll post pictures next week.

Hail the red racer

Ridiculous Bright (should be Rediculous bright) sounds like a good race plane - you ought to bring it to the race at Pagosa Springs next month see www.sportairrace.org calendar of events.

Bob Axsom

Taylor 100 2007 5/20/07 RV Blue RV-6 Attaway, Robbie 186.47
Taylor 100 2007 5/20/07 RV Blue RV-6A Axsom, Bob & Jeanine 168.72

In the first SARL race Your plane then owned by Robbie Attaway out ran me by ~18 kts. It is indeed a fast airplane... but I have been working!

Bob Axsom

I slowed it down a bit by replacing the small main gear and spats with the Vans standard tires and the pressure recovery pants. I wanted to be able to operate of grass strips. I don't think I lost as much speed as I thought however. Looks like 3 or 4 knots. I kept the small pants and could switch back. I do have a interest in trying a race or two but so far schedules have not worked out.

George

George

From what I understand, Dave Anders also built a new 4 tail for his plane (or rebuilt his) and added the counterbalance to it himself. That (building a new 6 tail and engineering a counterbalance for it) was discussed as an option during my path to this tail, but the simplicity of an existing...and proven...design won the day in that decision. My building/engineering skills are not that of Dave or Robby...yet! Long way to go though! ;)

Flutter margin is why I was encouraged to do it, and why I did it. Don't get me wrong, IMHO, a stock 6 built to specs and flown to Van's numbers is safe and sound, and the Vne is well known.

Though a Super Six is a different animal and sports a builder-assigned higher Vne (similar to a Harmon Rocket, which was the genesis of several of the original builder's specs and build mods), I look at this (and other safety mods) as giving the engineer back some his "margin". That's why my racing buds surrounded me and encouraged me to do it.

If the RV-8 Vne is 232 mph, and the RV-6 Vne is 210 mph, then the logic was some of that increase is from the rudder counterbalance. How much, if any, I don't know. Does doing this 8 tail mod to a stock 6 raise that 6's Vne? I don't know that either, and I doubt one would be told that by the factory. But if it is viewed as a "can't hurt" safety mod that provides additional margin when flying within limits (a stock 6's limits or a Super Six's limits) then it seems like a good project (for my purposes anyway), though certainly not required.

Rocket's don't have counterbalanced rudders do they?

JJ, Standard Harmon's do not, standard F1's do. Mucho discussion among the F1 boys about this topic, and some of them are among those that encouraged and mentored me along this path.

If you look at how fast a Harmon flies with a non-counterbalanced rudder, you could make an argument that my project was unneccesary. I just look at it as adding a little margin. I wonder if I can pitch for lower insurance rates now! :p

Hope we can fly some more form soon brudda!

About 2-3 knots as far as I could tell. Regrettable I did not do a before/after test.

Yeah just never noticed any handling differences in the bumps.

Yep, before I had to put a bit more pressure on the rudder on takoff. After it took a bit less. As speeds were slower it seemed to be more effective...in a hammerhead it went over a bit quicker.

Thanks Bob... I do miss my RV badly...I bought a C150 for an absurdly low amount and that's getting me to breakfast on the weekends. A couple of more months and I will have the rocket flying, then on to rebuilding the -6. And the really good thing is I have spousal approval to keep all three airplanes.

One thing to add. I originally had a wedge on the rudder about 6" long to get the ball to center. On the new VS I offset it 3/16" to the left and it flew ball-in-the-center...so thats always a good thing.

Copy all Bob, thanks! First, how cool is your wife?!?! That's awesome! I'm lucky like that too, though I haven't tried for multiple planes! Good stuff!

Flew 2 test hops today. Lot's more testing and eval to go, but early overall impression is that in most ground and flight regimes, I could not feel a major difference. Taxi handling was pretty much the same. Takeoff and landing rolls felt very similar...perhaps a little more responsive, but only incrementally. AM flight was in smooth air, PM flight was a bit bumpy (to pretty bumpy in a few spots). I didn't notice a lessening of tail wag in the afternoon either, but I don't have a well-defined metric for that. We'll see.

One odd result (that may be explainable) is that I felt I had to use more right rudder in all flight regimes...just the opposite of what I expected. Before, in normal climb and loafing cruise, I needed some right rudder (decreasing with increasing speed of course); while in high speed cruise and descent, and at race speeds, I neded just a touch of left rudder. Today I needed right rudder all the way to race speeds (which I approached slowly, and only after some very good lower speed stability checks). Hmmm...

Then my chase pilot told me my tailwheel and TW fairing were cocked off to one side about 10-15 degrees! During reassembly yesterday, I had shortened my Rocket Steering Link to make it line up correctly (or so I thought). After the flights, we raised the tail to unweight the TW, and re-adjusted the link to make it the fairing line up better. We'll check the results on the next test flight, and hopefully that is the smoking gun, because I was expecting less rudder required, as was your experience. We'll see!

Did a 4 way speed run too, and saw a 2-4 knot drop. However, the test area was hot and bumpy (27 degrees hotter and 2-3,000 feet higher DA as a result, than my fastest previous runs). Between that temp diff and the cockeyed TW, I'm hoping the gap narrows. Lot's more runs to go before a call is made.

One place I did feel I saw a difference was slips to landing. The larger tail did have a bigger effect when slipping, and felt a bit smoother in the slip as well.

... but I have been working!

Bob Axsom

Yes you have! :)

My 6A is also red BTW; my painter calls it ridiculous bright. I'll post pictures next week.

Rediculous Bright Red...I like it! Look forward to the pics! I'd also love to get a look at those smaller wheel pants you mentioned...if they are faster than PR pants, inquiring minds wanna know! (Right Bob!)

Cheers,
Bob

...I'd also love to get a look at those smaller wheel pants you mentioned...if they are faster than PR pants, inquiring minds wanna know! (Right Bob!)

Cheers,
Bob

YES! I snapped to full alert when I read that too. I'll have to go through my old photo's to see what I have - probably nothing. Side by side photos would be nice. I am planning to make up some new custom molds in the future to incorporate the existing fairings and my subfairings (4 pieces on each wheel) into 2 piece fairings.

Bob Axsom

YES! I snapped to full alert when I read that too. I'll have to go through my old photo's to see what I have - probably nothing. Side by side photos would be nice. I am planning to make up some new custom molds in the future to incorporate the existing fairings and my subfairings (4 pieces on each wheel) into 2 piece fairings.

Bob Axsom

Robbie I believe custom made the pants. He used smaller then normal tires. I believe the same size as the RV-6A nose tire. This allowed for the smaller pants. They appear to be a pressure recovery type of design. If you like I will be happy to shoot some pics of the pants with a size reference along side them and send them to you. I can't seem to post photo's here but if you PM me your email i will send them. The aircraft flew for 5 years with no issues using the smaller tires.

George

Bob Axsom

Just google Robbie Attaway, or go to his site. I'm sure Sailvi's pictures and measurements will be more precise, but for quick look just hit the link.

http://www.attawayair.com/

Spin Recovery

Here is what Van's found on larger vs. smaller vertical stabilizers/rudder. It doesn't sound like a great big change but there is some difference.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/sb02-6-1.pdf

Dave Anders' RV-4

IMG_4339.jpg

This is a photo I took of Dave Anders RV-4 at Mitchell, SD before the AirVenture Cup race to Oshkosh in 2010. I never noticed it at the time but in the photo I see a vertical line in the cap forward of the hinge line that appears to be a counterweight.

Bob Mills - how did your new VS & rudder work out at Reno this year?

Bob Axsom

Van liked this one

so much he made it the December Playmate in the Van's 2011 calendar. This is my 3rd RV6 type plane and the only one with the 8 tail. I don't notice much difference except the need for more rudder pressure to make things happen.
2j515c3.jpg

<snip>Bob Mills - how did your new VS & rudder work out at Reno this year?

Bob Axsom

<snip>This is my 3rd RV6 type plane and the only one with the 8 tail. I don't notice much difference except the need for more rudder pressure to make things happen.

Bob,

The RV-8 VS and Rudder was very straight forward to install. My tail fairing even still fit. I need to do a bit of fit and finish work on it, but it was close enough that tape for the races made it a pretty dern clean fit.

From some GPS testing, I believe I lost about 2-3 knots with the change. I also believe I gained it back, plus another 2-3 with the BA prop. Both turned out about as expected. However, I need to do more testing to make that a solid call. I also made the fin caps for the VS and Rudder removable, and will be making flat caps (like Tom Martin's Rocket) this winter, just to decrease area and height a smidge, to see if I can get any of that loss back.

I also did not see a major difference in foverall eel, though like Rog, I also feel it takes a bit more pressure for the same effect. I actually thought I would need to use less right rudder that with the -6 tail, but it feels to me like I need more (in all regimes of flight) than I did before. Surprising result. Initially I thought it was a misadjustment of my steering link, as my tailwheel fairing was cocked off to one side. I have since fixed that, and have even removed the fairing. TW is now straight, and the need for more right rudder than before has diminished, but it still feels like I use more (at race speeds I used to have to use a teensy bit of left rudder...but not any more).

I'll get a bit more feel for it in the TBird 150 this weekend...and a good speed check too...unless the wind wreaks havoc!

Like I said, surprising, because I thought the taller tail would be more effective. Any thoughts on why? When it all came together, the offset (estimated by where the leading edge of the VS lined up to the longitudinal axis of the plane) seemed the same as the six. Perhaps with the slightly different aspect ratio of the rudder, the 8 tail needs a bit more offset? Thoughts?

Another tidbit Bob: Greg Nelson's very fast F1 Rocket has an RV-4 VS and rudder, converted to a counterbalanced rudder, very much like Dave Anders. Its a beautiful build, and very fast!

Cheers,
Bob

I also did not see a major difference in overall feel, though like Rog, I also feel it takes a bit more pressure for the same effect. I actually thought I would need to use less right rudder than with the -6 tail, but it feels to me like I need more (in all regimes of flight) than I did before.

Like I said, surprising, because I thought the taller tail would be more effective. Any thoughts on why? When it all came together, the offset (estimated by where the leading edge of the VS lined up to the longitudinal axis of the plane) seemed the same as the six. Perhaps with the slightly different aspect ratio of the rudder, the 8 tail needs a bit more offset? Thoughts?
Cheers,
Bob

Maybe the difference in the trailing edge construction?

The larger VS is more S

Intuitively I would have thought the same thing but when faced with reality it is funny how we think a little deeper to rationalize the experimental results. My new take on it is the increased vertical stabilizer provides more stabilization and it requires greater force to yaw the airplane.

New question, when are you putting the old one back on?

Bob Axsom

P.S. Did you see Dave Anders' landing gear? The tail wheel looks like it came from a roller skate.

Last edited:
Maybe the difference in the trailing edge construction?

Both of mine are rolled trailing edges. Dave did do a riveted trailing edge on his counterweighted 4 tail though. Might have something to do with what Bob said below (more VS...maybe that and offset are factors...still thinking on it!)

Intuitively I would have thought the same thing but when faced with reality it is funny how we think a little deeper to rationalize the experimental results. My new take on it is the increased vertical stabilizer provides more stabilization and it requires greater force to yaw the airplane.

New question, when are you putting the old one back on?

Bob Axsom

P.S. Did you see Dave Anders' landing gear? The tail wheel looks like it came from a roller skate.

Old tail will not go back on...I think the counterbalance is a good idea (in my plane's case). If flattening the fin caps shows no imrovement, I may build another...do what Greg did with his counterbalanced 4/HRII tail. We'll see! ;)

Back