What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OOPS! Oversized rivet holes

kritsher

Well Known Member
While match drilling about a half-dozen holes on the bottom skin of my wing where the rivet didn't quite want to go in, I accidentally drilled #27 instead of #30. Any thoughts on how to fix this? Are there suitable rivets for a #27 hole? Do I need to go up to 5/32"? Are there rivets with the same head so my mistake isn't too obvious? Where's a good source for finding rivets?
Thanks for any help.

2czdc80.jpg

The #27 drill makes a hole that should be 0.1440 inches and if you get Cherry Max CR3242 4-1 for use with a grip of 0.032 to 0.063 or CR3242 4-2 for use with a grip of 0.063 to 0.125 inches you will have a fine pulled rivet that will fit the hole close enough as they are 0.1400 inches in diameter. They can be ordered from Aircraft Spruce or any other vendors you can find on line.

These rivets were made to be used when normal rivets were drilled out and the hole was slightly enlarged. You would normally use a # 28 drill for these rivets. They are also available in countersunk styles as well.

Good luck.

Best regards,
Vern

Back