What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

what do you suggest in a RV purchase?

flyboiga

I'm New Here
I am a commercial rated fixed wing have tail wheel experience and rotor aircraft. I fly for work Bell 206 jet ranger, and personally own a Piper Warrior. I am looking to purchase a Vans RV.

What model would you suggest a first time RV owner should by. I have a pretty good budget on a purchase so not looking for the cheapest one out there. Just looking for a sleek, head turner, that flies nice and with some power. The plane will be based at PDK with the Jet Ranger and Warrior.

I can suggest you buy mine!;) It is for sale (see the classifieds...) but I would say you aren't going to go wrong with any of them. Depends on what you want really. I went from a Cherokee 140, to a Cherokee 180, to my RV-7. I love it and find it extremely easy and entertaining to fly. I also fly for a living and am an aircraft sales manager and have flown a lot of types. The RV series is truly on of the best!

Btw, I'm selling to build again...a bit cheaper this next time around tho!

Mission

If the "budget" is not the driving factor, then "mission" is. Do you want to fly with someone next to you? Do you really like the visibility of a tandem? Aerobatics? Cross county? IFR?

These questions will help choose a model, engine, propeller, and panel.

I went through this process recently. My answers are probably not yours but for a point of reference, here is what I wanted:

Love the feel of a tandem plane. Most all flying will be solo. VFR. Cross country of 400-600nm trips. My budget was not very big.

I found an RV-8 with an analog panel, clean build, 150hp and wood fixed propeller. About the only thing I'll add is an autopilot and that's jus to help with bits of time on XC flights.

My plane is not for everyone but by listing out my mission, I whittled down the market quickly.

Do you need 4 seats?

If you plan on taking friends often, you can't beat the -10.

As others have asked....what do you plan to do with it?

Best,

As others have said, your mission will define much, but a lot of the RV models meet a lot of missions. I recently purchased a plane and tandem was ruled out by my wife, so that meant 6, 7, 9, 10 or 12. Budget was an issue, so the 10 was out and I didn't want LSA. I considered a lot of 6, 7 and 9s, both nose and tail wheel, and ended up with a 6 mostly because I found a good one that fit my budget and mission. Being based at 5600' and wanting to fly the mountains, I wanted a 180 HP and a C/S prop, and I also wanted IFR capability.

My number one piece of advice though would be to take your time. I looked seriously for almost 9 months. I was a 1st time buyer, and you already have some experience in ownership, but it can take quite awhile to find the right plane for you.

It's like buying a car. You have already picked the make now it is up to you to pick the model. Only you will know the model to meet your desires.

It's wide open for you but you stated you wanted some power so I would suggest an (I)O-360. If you think resale might be the slightest factor then I would stay away from alternative engines (ie Subaru). I have flown f/p and c/s props, the RV flies so nice that I cannot recommend one way or the othr but my c/s sure is nice :)

I chose a side by side so the wife could be more involved but the tandem RVs sure are cool!! The tailwheel versions are more versatile since you don't have to worry about a weak nose wheel but I chose a nosewheel because I do not yet have the skill to handle a taildragger. (although I think they look cooler)

I'd say the prices are much lower than a few years ago and are definately a bargain even though I think they are trending slightly higher lately.

Good luck and be patient, it took me about a year to find mine.

If you decide on a -7A, I know of one hangared at PDK that might be for sale. I flew with the owner/builder a couple months ago and he mentioned he was considering selling it.

sleek, powerful, aerobatic

I have a 6A. I like it for sure, but I fly alone 80% or more. I would probably go with an 8 if I had to do it over.

What would I get?

In a 6 or a 7 an O-360 with FP prop and any instrument - radio combo that floats your boat. You probably won't be happy with a O-320 and a passenger in hot weather (you don't need to ask me how I know).

The fuel consumption is about the same for both when fly them at the same TAS. Some claim the O-360 can be more economical.

Oh, A pre-buy by Mel or someone that knows what they are looking at. Don't presume any builder can do a good pre-buy. Like any group we vary in what we are proficient in.

Guys that have built multiple planes can be like my old boss once told me about "years of experience." He said, "people can have 20 years of experience or one year of experience repeated 20 times." Kind of profound I thought and the theme applies to builders.

Can't pick your girl friend for you.

You should have a good idea if you are mostly solo, or otherwise.

If your other half has long legs and likes to fly.... a 6, 7 or a 10 are worth a test flight or ride.

If always solo... it's tough to beat a 3, 4 or 8 for pure joy of flight.

Good Luck:)

Back