What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Experimental" Placard

DEWATSON

Well Known Member
I'm almost ready for inspection and I'm putting the required placards on the RV8. I put the passenger warning placard on the back side of the pilots seat and it looks OK. Where are RV8 builders putting the "EXPERIMENTAL" placard on their airplanes? Pictures would be nice if you have some.

Also, is an ELT required for phase one flight testing? Will the DAR require that one be installed? I think I had rather invest in a "Spot" or something similar. Regards.

David Watson
49FD

One of the requirements from FAA Order 8130 is to see that an ELT has been installed.

Having said that, the ELT is NOT required during phase I, because the aircraft is in "flight test" mode within a specified area.

If you do not have one installed during the initial inspection, the inspector may require another inspection prior to phase II operations.

As far as the "EXPERIMENTAL" placard is concerned, it must be clearly visible to anyone entering the cockpit.

Last edited:
> "Experimental" Placard

I looked up the regulation prior to my FSDO inspection and best I can remember it reads "clearly visible from each door or hatch". That wording prevented me from having to place it on the exterior of my -9A slider as per initial request of the inspector. Dan

I placed the "experimental" decal right above the passenger's rh armrest.
My bird is set up to board from the left side, so it is the first thing that a pax would see while getting in.

Note that the requirement...

I placed the "experimental" decal right above the passenger's rh armrest.
My bird is set up to board from the left side, so it is the first thing that a pax would see while getting in.

...is for anyone entering the cockpit, not just passengers - but since the pilot enters from the aft of the wing, your location is still OK...:)

The EXPERIMENTAL sticker is still required on single place aircraft, so visibility to the pilot entering is also required.

Since we are on an "RV" forum...

The EXPERIMENTAL sticker is still required on single place aircraft, so visibility to the pilot entering is also required.

...and the only single place RV is the -3, the RV-3 design is over 30 years old, therefore, the "Experimental" placard may be omitted by using an "X" within the registration number; i.e. NX123RV per FAR part 45.22(b). They may also be 2".
BTW, the RV-4 also now meets this requirement.

Last edited:
We're thinkin' that the -3 might just have those tiny N-numbers with the "X" - NX134LP sounds kind of neat....and no need for the big sign!

On my -8, the "Experimental" is on the map pocket where you can see it as you enter the plane.

One of the requirements from FAA Order 8130 is to see that an ELT has been installed. Having said that, the ELT is NOT required during phase I, because the aircraft is in "flight test" mode within a specified area.

Mel,

You are correct on both counts. This issue is a constant source of discussion among FAA inspectors and DARs. But FAA Order 8130.2F, Change 5 seems quite clear to anyone who carefully reads it. The actual verbiage is:

An emergency locator transmitter (ELT) is installed, as required in accordance with ? 91.207.

It's important to note "...as required in accordance with ? 91.207. ? 91.207 actually includes an exception for "flight testing". Thus, in accordance with that regulation there would NOT have to be an ELT in place during phase one flight testing.

If you do not have one installed during the initial inspection, the inspector may require another inspection prior to phase II operations.

That would be excessive and unnecessary. An ELT is an operational issue, not an airworthiness issue. The plane is "in a condition for safe operation" whether an ELT is installed or not. There is no reason to perform another inspection just to check for an ELT, no more than you'd do an airworthiness inspection to see if the aircraft has had pitot/static tests done for IFR operations.

My point was...

...and the only single place RV is the -3, the RV-3 design is over 30 years old, therefore, the "Experimental" placard may be omitted by using an "X" within the registration number; i.e. NX123RV per FAR part 45.22(b). They may also be 2".
BTW, the RV-4 also now meets this requirement.

...not aimed to the RV-3.

I was trying to point out - not very well apparently :) that the EXPERIMENTAL sticker has to be visible to all entering the cockpit including the pilot. The posting I was referencing talked about passengers only...

I completely agree.

...not aimed to the RV-3.
I was trying to point out - not very well apparently :) that the EXPERIMENTAL sticker has to be visible to all entering the cockpit including the pilot. The posting I was referencing talked about passengers only...

As said in my post (#3), the "Experimental" placard must be visible to anyone entering the cockpit.

Back