What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Q: How to get information on restricted airspace?

kentb

Well Known Member
Is there a web site that you can enter the airspace number and get the information that would be on the side of the sectional chart about the airspace?
Example: 'R-5314'
I would like to see who controls it, the alt., and time information about the restriction.

Kent

I was sure I've seen some websites before........

So, I just Googled this number, and quite a bit of info comes up.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Yes that is true....

I was sure I've seen some websites before........

So, I just Googled this number, and quite a bit of info comes up.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

But you only get info on the airspace. I would like a site that I could check out a number of airspaces that I will cross on a trip.

Thanks, Kent

Is there a web site that you can enter the airspace number and get the information that would be on the side of the sectional chart about the airspace?
Example: 'R-5314'
I would like to see who controls it, the alt., and time information about the restriction.

Kent

http://www.weathermeister.com

...works for me.

Just tell it where you are going and it presents a map with restricted airspace relative to your proposed route. Put the mouse over the shaded area and it comes up with the details of the airspace.

This look like what I want....

I think this is what you are looking for: http://sua.faa.gov/sua/Welcome.do

-Jim

But I went to check out my list of airspaces and only found 2 of my 5 that I was looking for.

It didn't have R-2915A, R-4006 and R-5314 listed.

I was just reading more on the first page of the web site and I think that I understand. The ones that are not in the list are because they are currently not active.

Kent

Last edited:
Flight following..

I was deviating the other day due to wx and the controller told me he had to let me know if I was going to get into a hot restricted area. He made it sound as if he would get in hot water if he let me violate the airspace without warning me first. Just another good reason to use flight following.

I though if a "R"...

I was deviating the other day due to wx and the controller told me he had to let me know if I was going to get into a hot restricted area. He made it sound as if he would get in hot water if he let me violate the airspace without warning me first. Just another good reason to use flight following.

...area is HOT, then ATC is usually not the controlling agency and he can't clear you into it.

Are you sure he wasn't talking about a MOA? - they would have to warn you about entering, but it is permissible to enter VFR...

...area is HOT, then ATC is usually not the controlling agency and he can't clear you into it.

Are you sure he wasn't talking about a MOA? - they would have to warn you about entering, but it is permissible to enter VFR...

I'm guessing he wasn't cleared by FF...but simply warned not to enter. (And that the controller would get in trouble if he didn't warn prior to a bust?)

Where are you going to/from?

2915A and the corridors down there are not cosmic, however the airspace is very congested with Destin traffic as every ******* with an airplane wants to go to the beach. Eyes out! Contact Eglin Appch if you're VFR and just let them know where you want to go. If you're coming from the North enter south of CEW and proceed to White Point, then to DTS. Keep it above 3K' until you're entering the traffic pattern at DTS and you'll be sure to keep yourself above the Class D, as well as military arrival traffic (VFR) to Eglin.

Speaking from a military perspective, do yourself a favor (from a safety stand point) and avoid MOA's to the max extent possible, especially during the week days. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Restricted areas are just that, restricted. Don't bother calling ahead of time to the schduling authority because we generally aren't going to tell you if they're active. Look on your sectional, figure out who the controlling agency is (usually a center) and call them airborn to ask for status and a transit if you're really hard up about rolling through. If it's cold you can usually get through, if it's hot don't bother asking.

All restricted and prohibited airspace is listed on the sectional chart. If you use Skyvector, they do not piece the sectionals together so you can see all this info around the chart.

I don't know how widespread this is, but for all the MOAs in our area, we have a frequency where we can contact the military controller. Not only can we find out if the MOAs are hot or not, but what altitudes will be in use, etc. Our EAA had a meeting last night with the base commander and this is going to be a big help as we (OVO) are quite close to a restricted area with MOAs about everywhere, or so it seems. The military controller maintains very close contact with ATC, but believe information does not always filter down to the controllers, at least on a timely basis. Perhaps we will see more of this and I would welcome it. At present, the frequency isn't published, as far as I know. Perhaps you can contact the controlling agency and see if they are doing this. Anyone know if this is available elsewhere?

Bob Kelly

Another helpful resource that provides airspace status in real time is www.seeandavoid.org.

According to the website they are funded by DOD (Defense Safety Oversight Council) and provide a graphical representation on a Google map. The presentation allows you to select in layers the airspace your focusing on to keep the clutter low (e.g. MOA"s, Low Level Training Routes, SUA's, etc.) and uses color coding to indicate the status of the airspace (hot, pending or cold). It even tells you which branch of the Service (Air Force, Navy, Army, etc.) is using a particular airspace! A pretty good resource...

The site also provides airspace status for Iraq and Afghanistan for those with flight plans transiting those areas...:eek:

I don't know how widespread this is, but for all the MOAs in our area, we have a frequency where we can contact the military controller. Not only can we find out if the MOAs are hot or not, but what altitudes will be in use, etc. Our EAA had a meeting last night with the base commander and this is going to be a big help as we (OVO) are quite close to a restricted area with MOAs about everywhere, or so it seems. The military controller maintains very close contact with ATC, but believe information does not always filter down to the controllers, at least on a timely basis. Perhaps we will see more of this and I would welcome it. At present, the frequency isn't published, as far as I know. Perhaps you can contact the controlling agency and see if they are doing this. Anyone know if this is available elsewhere?

Bob Kelly

Sounds like a good working relationship with your local guys. I know around where I'm at, the only civilian operators that have the info to contact our controllers are our own pilots.

Again if the idea is to call a scheduling authority ahead of time to get status to try and transit, they may/may not give you that info (we won't)... however it's superfluous because the airspace can open/close any time.

Best course of action if you're **** bent on doing straight through, file IFR and if you file through SUA's that are hot, you'll find out when you get your clearance.

Bob Kelly

Bob,

There has to be a reliable way of finding out what is going on in a MOA without having to use an unpublished military controller frequency. My guess is these guys do not want to be called by civilian pilots while an operation is in progress, they have duties other than answering questions about the operation they are involved in.

It is my understanding activity within a MOA is published by notam and that is the information available to the public via flight service and/or the ATC sector controller and also http://sua.faa.gov/sua/Welcome.do

If the military can not or will not follow procedure in alerting the public as to the use of a particular MOA, we have a problem and it ought to be fixed.

They did a seminar at OSH 2009 which I attended. Good site but almost for sure the operational info they use comes from

http://sua.faa.gov/sua/Welcome.do

There has to be a government source for this stuff and I think the FAA is it.

I used to fly around MOA's without checking, but some MOA's have not been used for some time (probably because the government is running out of money) so it pays to check the status of an area. The last time I called the ATC guy on the chart frequency he responded that the area had not been used for months.

If the military can not or will not follow procedure in alerting the public as to the use of a particular MOA, we have a problem and it ought to be fixed.

It's pretty simple, whats in the range or whats near by? Pinecastle in Florida southwest of Jacksonville is a bombing range. Eglin/Panama City/Hurlburt/Duke host everything from F-15/16's to C-130's to F-22's. Take your pick as to the dozens of missions that could be going on. If you're around a military training base, plan on hundreds of student pilots raging around in things that can do several hundred knots.

Point is, SUA's are set up to alert pilots to be heads up. ATC doesn't provide service in an active MOA because they can't provide separation (hint). There's no obligation to explain exactly what we're doing, mainly because it could be anything depending on whose using it. The airspace around where I'm at it could be C-130's dropping troops, or fighters getting a BFM hack.

Obviously the more dangerous and dynamic stuff goes on inside of the restricted area, hence the restriction. However theres no obligation to advertise what we're doing specifically. The fact that the airspace is there is the biggest warning, just don't be surprised if someone goes by at 500 knots inside your comfort zone.

As a side to this discussion, take a look at your sectional next time you go out for a stroll. If you're planning on being below 1000' and crossing a published MTR (specifically a VR route), ask flight service if it's scheduled when you call to file or get a weather brief. Good to know info before you find yourself splitting a section of fighters at 500' doing 500kts.

Last edited:
See and avoid

After reviewing the web site, I noticed it missed quite a few Army Guard air operational locations in California. But it is a good source of information on Active Duty and reserve AF locations.

Unfortunately, I believe there isn't one location that will give you the status of all potential military operations and SUA in use.

After reviewing the web site, I noticed it missed quite a few Army Guard air operational locations in California. But it is a good source of information on Active Duty and reserve AF locations.

Unfortunately, I believe there isn't one location that will give you the status of all potential military operations and SUA in use.

Scott,

I just got into http://sua.faa.gov/sua/Welcome.do and found 82 operational areas in California.

Go the List page, specify California, and peruse. I think they are all published at this site.

See and Avoid

Scott,

I just got into http://sua.faa.gov/sua/Welcome.do and found 82 operational areas in California.

Go the List page, specify California, and peruse. I think they are all published at this site.

I guess my post wasn't clear. I was referencing the web site www.seeandavoid.org. That particular web site shows airspace and known bases. But there are training areas and bases not listed. Which led to my comment that there is not ONE place to go to find out all the information you might be looking for.

I agree with you the SUA FAA web site is a good place for Special Use Airspace.

Back